Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s and motorsport oil separator..anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike

You might want to call Vortex Racing in Tampa. The VOS for the Cayman was quoted at 12 hours by Suncoast, but Vortex supposedly have performed many for the Cayman and the shop time may be less. Don't know how much fabrication is required for the 997.

Darrick
Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
wow quoted about 500 bucks for AOS plus 14hrs labor ouch...mk
That's about right for the Motorsports part. The labor is stupid excessive. 4-5 hours max if the guys slow....
You need this part. It was developed for the Koni Challenge cars and it will solve your problem.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
this is what i believe the aos oil separator fixes...not the same problem as mine...usually during high lateral g forces, lots of smoke...i don't smoke onthe track..this is seen on boxsters and caymans...
There was also a TSB about this that changed the full fill level for mk2 996's, not sure about other cars. I always run my 996 3/4 quart "low" according to the original fill marks and then it's fine. If it burns down to a consistent level on the dipstick then the fix might be as simple as that.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks guys will give vortex a call...also will try to run oil level lowest bar and see what happens...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

anyone out there with a 997s who has put a motorsport oil separator in?[/SIZE]
well... still blowing 2 qts oil per day at track..even at temps in the 40's..Road atlanta, sebring. tried different viscocity oils, ..have tried running the car at the lowest oil level bar and still smokes and lowest bar starts blinking.no oil burning on road...so thinking of getting the motorsport oil separator but would like to know of at least ONE other person that has had this smoke on start up (minimal smoking on track but lots after each startup in the paddocks that lasts about 2 minutes...) and the motorsport oil separator FIXING the problem..i also ...hate to spend 2000 bucks and then not fix the problem..i called four places including suncoast and none have put a motorsport oil separator on the 997s . perhaps the better option is to spend the money on a gt3 or just stock up on mobil one...but i still love my car! hopefully somebody out there has gone through this? 20 k miles now on the car..still CPO'ed..dealership has been great and looked at everything and deems it a "tracked car problem" since it doesn't happen on the street.. in fort myers fl and unfortunately no great race shops around to help..
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X51 oil pan prevents the oil from slushing around under hard corners but has nothing to do with smoking up. I tried full of oil and at lowest level and both smoked. The trick I found that work best is when I let the car idle for a few minutes after coming in the pits (while removing helmet and checking tire pressure) and then start it up 10 to 15 minutes later (get some gas or drive around the pits). If you shut it down quickly after your run and only start it again later on (more than an hour later), then it will smoke a lot.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

All the Koni Challenge cars run them. Is BGB near you, they can do the install....

Here's a quote from their engine builder when I inquired if that AOS would fit on my 99' 3.4 996: "We have installed these separators on just about everything from 997/997 cayman and boxster, but we have not yet tried a 99, so honestly i cant tell you with certainty, but i will tell you it is the only way to go".
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The separator works like a charm on the Cayman. Same engine (basically) so I can not imagine that it would not just bolt right in.

You may have to deal with some interference (you need to move the air pump on the Cayman), but as Jr says the part is run on all of the Koni (er Continental) 997s.

I know that Werks2 in Burbank, CA and Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills, CA both have experience with the installation and should be able to answer your questions.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone have an original -- I would like to take a look at it.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Does anyone have an original -- I would like to take a look at it.

Chris,

I may be able to find an old one this afternoon. Are you in SC today or tomorrow? If so, I can drop it off (assuming I can get the part).

Let me know.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks guys just a litle annoyed that it doesn't happen on many of the 997s' ...i track with others with similar car and no smoke...anyhow probably will splurge for the Motorsport oil separator..prob at the dealership to preserve my CPO status as they have been gracious to do all the diagnostic stuff under warranty, replaced the stock oil separator with a new one , scoped cylinders etc...

will let you know if it fixes the problem..to bad it won't make me faster..
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Chris,

I may be able to find an old one this afternoon. Are you in SC today or tomorrow? If so, I can drop it off (assuming I can get the part).

Let me know.

Cheers,
Certainly, that would be great! Just let me know what time today or tomorrow -- hopefully mid day? I may be able to meet you somewhere -- unless you'd like to check out some racecars?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Certainly, that would be great! Just let me know what time today or tomorrow -- hopefully mid day? I may be able to meet you somewhere -- unless you'd like to check out some racecars?
Hmmmm..tough choice!

It will need to be tomorrow. I will be headed to the race shop later today to check on my cage build and will see if they have an old one laying around we can have (one or two should be mine unless they are tossed).

Will let you know when I can stop by.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Hmmmm..tough choice!

It will need to be tomorrow. I will be headed to the race shop later today to check on my cage build and will see if they have an old one laying around we can have (one or two should be mine unless they are tossed).

Will let you know when I can stop by.

Cheers,
Great, thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Chris I have a brand new one, slightly modified to drain to a catch can, which we decided wasn't the right thing to do. I'd be happy to have you disect it as it's not currently usable. I'm supposed to pick my 996 in Costa Mesa tomorrow (bent valve), isn't your shop somewhere in that vicinity?

Quick Reply: 997s and motorsport oil separator..anyone done this?