Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s and motorsport oil separator..anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997s and motorsport oil separator..anyone done this?

So the saga starts with purchase of my 2005 997s with 4k miles that i got 3 yrs ago...sounds like a launch car with fully loaded pccb, nav, full leather, adaptic seats, came with fabspeed headers and mufflers(stock cats) . Loved the car and is my second 997s...I have been a track rat for yrs and this was the second 997s I tracked about 15-20 days/yr..about 2 yrs ago noticed some mild white smoke on start up after a track session and had the oil separator changed under warranty, scavenger pumps checked and leak down done, all ok....GIAC and EVo intake was added...still smoking
Then I moved to r compounds with gt3 control arms (after I corded a brand new set of Michelin ps2’s in one day I figured I was ready)and started instructing and pushing 8-9/10ths . then the smoke got worse, again only on track days after each session upon start up..burned about 1 qt/day...had the car checked out again....last six months burning 2 qts/day...smoke only at start up..none on street..had the car rechecked recently with scoping the cylinders(looked ok), leak down compression test ok, and had the dealership drive the car for 500 miles and no oil loss during those miles..no oil leakage on the floors and RMS ok .now I have 19k miles still cpo’ed till march 2011...

Was hoping to keep the car for a while but really concerned about oil consumption even if only at the track. I assume the r compounds with more g forces is doing something to make me burn more oil...i have lots of buddies with 997s’ that do not burn any oil at the track...in fact one had his engine replaced after scorched cylinders and similar smoking as mine...(all mods done at dealership so warranty still ok)The baffled oil pans I believe only help with smoking ON the track, and not with this problem like the smoking caymans( I have been smoked screened by them on the track before).

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.. My thoughts are that one day soon the engine will blow, and my only hope is that is does before warranty ends...thought about moving to a 996 or 997 gt3 and maybe this would be a good excuse.

Last edited by mkk62; 01-12-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the Motorsports 2-chamber air/oil seperator.....P/N 996 107 926 00
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Did you do the X51 oil pan upgrade?

Maybe it's time to put the car back to stock and get that 997 GT3. Your seats and bar could be used in the GT3.

Were you at Sebring this weekend? I had to work.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried simply running the car at just the "add" mark. It seems to me that a lot of the problems
I see is the top quart gets blown out and then they settle down.

Regards,

Ken
Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
So the saga starts with purchase of my 2005 997s with 4k miles that i got 3 yrs ago...sounds like a launch car with fully loaded pccb, nav, full leather, adaptic seats, came with fabspeed headers and mufflers(stock cats) . Loved the car and is my second 997s...I have been a track rat for yrs and this was the second 997s I tracked about 15-20 days/yr..about 2 yrs ago noticed some mild white smoke on start up after a track session and had the oil separator changed under warranty, scavenger pumps checked and leak down done, all ok....GIAC and EVo intake was added...still smoking
Then I moved to r compounds with gt3 control arms (after I corded a brand new set of Michelin ps2’s in one day I figured I was ready)and started instructing and pushing 8-9/10ths . then the smoke got worse, again only on track days after each session upon start up..burned about 1 qt/day...had the car checked out again....last six months burning 2 qts/day...smoke only at start up..none on street..had the car rechecked recently with scoping the cylinders(looked ok), leak down compression test ok, and had the dealership drive the car for 500 miles and no oil loss during those miles..no oil leakage on the floors and RMS ok .now I have 19k miles still cpo’ed till march 2011...

Was hoping to keep the car for a while but really concerned about oil consumption even if only at the track. I assume the r compounds with more g forces is doing something to make me burn more oil...i have lots of buddies with 997s’ that do not burn any oil at the track...in fact one had his engine replaced after scorched cylinders and similar smoking as mine...(all mods done at dealership so warranty still ok)The baffled oil pans I believe only help with smoking ON the track, and not with this problem like the smoking caymans( I have been smoked screened by them on the track before).

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.. My thoughts are that one day soon the engine will blow, and my only hope is that is does before warranty ends...thought about moving to a 996 or 997 gt3 and maybe this would be a good excuse.
Get the GT3!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

yes the gt3 maybe..

as far as the level, i dont want to track the car when the lowest bar is flashing..i assume i would fry the engine. and i have tried to run the oil a little lower but still get to the flashing lowest red bar so i fugured i have to add oil at that point particularly if i am going back out for another session..

I have heard that the oil separator is not the issue unless you are smoking and burning a lot of oil ON the track...the start up smoke i believe is an engine issue...don't want to add more money into the car unless someone else had the same problem and it fixed it...

MDRUMS, no taking care of the kids...maybe you could babysit for me so i could get out next month

mk
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

I have heard that the oil separator is not the issue unless you are smoking and burning a lot of oil ON the track...

Isn't that what your post is saying your car is doing?! Sounds like you've ruled out everything else! I'm with old-man JR on this one...
Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

i meant seeing burning white smoke while on the track like a lot of the caymans do when driven hard...the baffle pan fixes their problem but the caymans do not smoke just at start up like mine..they make white smoke while on the track...i do not smoke on the track..only white smoke in the paddocks.....but maybe i'll give that a try..i'll do some shopping around...thanks JR and garret
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

this is what i believe the aos oil separator fixes...not the same problem as mine...usually during high lateral g forces, lots of smoke...i don't smoke onthe track..this is seen on boxsters and caymans...
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

MDRUMS, no taking care of the kids...maybe you could babysit for me so i could get out next month

mk
Bring them to the track...we can tape them to a pole in the pits while we are on the track.

I have seen a small amount of smoke come from your exhaust when following you. This happens when you up shift...just a small puff. I have seen the start up smoke but never said anything cuz you know how Sebring is...anything that kills mosquitoes is a good thing.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No question it is the oil separator situation.You need to get it fixed because the next issue is going to be catalytic convertors the oil eats them alive.IMHO you are throwing oil into the oil separator which is really not designed to have oil in it only oil fumes.Your white smoke only at the track is a classic symptom ...Good luck TVTH
Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I tracked my 997S for a couple of years before I built my 996 Spec car. My 997 would blow smoke on start-up regularly until I started running it one bar down from the "top". This is about 1/3 to 1/2 qt low to completely full, but well above the add mark. Once I started running it like this, it never blew smoke again. I never ran on slicks, but I did run on R888's and MPSC's.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks guys..will give suncoast a call and see what they have..i believe the oil separators aren't too expensive except for the labor....hmmmm get an motorsport oil separator or a gt3....hmm.

mk
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

MDRUMS btw why didnt you get the gt3....? you mostly track the car....no kids in the back..about same price a 1-2 yr old gt3 cpo'ed or your car....?

mk
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

wow quoted about 500 bucks for AOS plus 14hrs labor ouch...mk

Quick Reply: 997s and motorsport oil separator..anyone done this?