Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Posting - Just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, we all do, but I keep a library of wrecks. I was admonished for posting one recently, so I keep it to myself now. That's why I was wondering.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I think there is some lesson here.
Yeah - SRF guys part with their bodywork FAR too easily!

I could (and would) get a lot more use out of some of those pieces...

Is anyone else reminded of the tree at Deal's Gap?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,067 Posts

So what I've learned on this thread is that it appears we've overwhelmed and crashed the redtube site...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Note to self. Check out Redtube when I get home...
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

For me there is an etiquette that says that if you want to post a photo or video of your own wreck, go ahead. However you don't post video or stills of someone else's. Why? Well maybe because wrecking your car, particularly if you are at fault, is not exactly the most pleasant experience in the world, and having uninvited pictures and video on the internet to remind you of it doesn't exactly help matters. Yes, be can learn from watching video or looking at the aftermath, but we are learning at someone else's expense. If that person wants to share the experience fine. If not, it's their right to keep it private. JMHO
Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't agree. I have a crash sequence from Summit Point that I posted a long time ago that was very instructive. You could see where the car was way too fast down the shute, couldn't stop and overcorrected, and then hit the tire barrier, went up about 20 feet, spun, and collapsed. Thank god neither the instructor or student were hurt (if they had been, I would not have posted them). I blanked any identifiers on the car when I was asked to post them.

Novices and journeyman racers need to know the dangers involved. The physics associated with the "off", as well as the crash were informative.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gums
Yeah, we all do, but I keep a library of wrecks.......
Not me: way bad KARMA. My FIL would send me video's and images of "off's" before a weekend and whilst I love and respect the guy I had to shut him down.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
I don't agree. I have a crash sequence from Summit Point that I posted a long time ago that was very instructive. You could see where the car was way too fast down the shute, couldn't stop and overcorrected, and then hit the tire barrier, went up about 20 feet, spun, and collapsed. Thank god neither the instructor or student were hurt (if they had been, I would not have posted them). I blanked any identifiers on the car when I was asked to post them.

Novices and journeyman racers need to know the dangers involved. The physics associated with the "off", as well as the crash were informative.
The question is not if it is instructive or not, the question is whether or not we should post someone else's wreck without first asking them if they mind.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife wrecked once at Watkins Glen long ago, and I was upset to see the vultures coming around to gawk at the car, and then to later see photos posted on Rennlist. I found it to be extremely tasteless and classless.

Ever since then, I make it a point not to even bother looking at someone's wreck unless I either know the person and am concerned with their safety, or if I'm willing to help with repairing or transporting the car.

Sorry, posting photos is NOT informative for novices or journeyman racers. Anybody who doesn't know that you can wreck a car on a racetrack or on the highway needs to get their head out of their *** and wake up and smell the roses.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

^^^ + 1 ^^^

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you think we put a cover on a wrecked car at the race track? Fans swamp the paddock...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Hey that photo sequence is hanging in Chez Summit!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Hey that photo sequence is hanging in Chez Summit!
Actually, that photo sequence was instructive. It made me stop wanting to instruct.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Personally, I find it irritating when DE guys who tape up their cars so they don't get "chips" come by and take cell phone picks at someone's car, esp after racing incidents. The same guys come by at DE and say things like "Why don't you clean your wheels" or "Why are you always working on things" or "Why is there a clutch disc on the ground" Yeah I changed my clutch, so what? I've seen Honda Challenge guys swap motors and race 3 hours later.

Most DE people would never understand racing. Racers break things and if they don't they're slow. Racers don't take pictures of wrecks.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
Racers break things and if they don't they're slow.
It would be interesting to see how many racers actually agree with this statement......

Maybe a poll is in order........

Quick Reply: Crash Posting - Just wondering