Sponsored by:

SPEC 911 - Midwest - East Coast & South

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
RS Ben
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default SPEC 911 - Midwest - East Coast & South

The SPEC 911 class is really growing on the West Coast, and now the PCA has adopted the new class. So how many drivers in the Midwest, East Coast and South are considering a move into the SPEC 911 class?

I'm trying to get a sense of the number of drivers, as I'm considering a move.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben,

It looked very interesting when I first read up on it. Then, recently someone posted a car for sale built for Spec 911. $100,000 was his asking price IIRC. That is just out of my zip code.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Ben,

It looked very interesting when I first read up on it. Then, recently someone posted a car for sale built for Spec 911. $100,000 was his asking price IIRC. That is just out of my zip code.
Agreed. There is basically no limit to the allowed engine mods in the 3.0 and 2.7 sizes. People are building 3.0 engines that cost more than my current car, trailer, and tow vehicle combined. The only "cheap" part is running Toyos.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Chris,

I need to talk to you. I will email you in a minute.

Don
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd be interested in why people would want to ruin a spec class by building illegal engines. It will be very obvious as soon as the walk away from their competitors on the first straight. The spec 911 community in CA is pretty tight. We are interested in good racing and camaraderie. Cheaters are not well received.

The spec 911 rules are posted here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/P...-Challenge.pdf

The engine rules are pretty simple. People should not be building exotic motors as the rules are pretty clear on this issue. Unless the modification(s) are listed in the rule book that are not legal.My motor has 46 mm PMO carburetors and stock motor except for the modifications outlined in the rules and 1.5" headers. It puts out 240 hp on the engine dyno, which is pretty typical for 3.0L motors with this setup. There is nothing exotic about it.

Most of the cost involved with building a top level race is labor. The parts needed for a spec 911 are relatively affordable and easily obtainable. You don't need to spend 100K to have a good car.

"Referred to as the 911 "Spec" Class. This is a unique Porsche Racing Challenge Series classification for Porsche 911 racing cars with a limited set of modifications. These modifications allowed/required for this class are described in Appendix A. Modifications not specifically listed in Appendix A, or elsewhere in this document, are prohibited for cars in the 911 "Spec" Class."
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Why another class? That's what I am really wondering...to me the recent multiplication in the # of classes makes no sense. If it continues this way we'll soon live in a world where every entrant will automatically finish on the podium....
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
RS Ben
Intermediate

I appreciate the comments.

Sounds like the cost to be competitive in this class will continue to be evaluated. It also seems like the classes between Cup Cars and Stock is shrinking.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Why another class? That's what I am really wondering...to me the recent multiplication in the # of classes makes no sense. If it continues this way we'll soon live in a world where every entrant will automatically finish on the podium....
I think the idea is cool, to allow cars like my '73 "rs" to run in the same class as 70s to late 80's 911s. These are the most popular 911s with the most popular types of mods, it would be nice to be able to race against a bunch of similar cars.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there ever been a "spec" class that stayed the way it was intended? Nope. Even with nothing at stake people want to win and some want it at any cost.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I think the idea is cool, to allow cars like my '73 "rs" to run in the same class as 70s to late 80's 911s. These are the most popular 911s with the most popular types of mods, it would be nice to be able to race against a bunch of similar cars.
To me the idea of 72s to 89s leveled by select mods has nothing to do with "spec" or "equal".... More like a group of people who want to race aircooled 911s together....

Last edited by FredC; 10-07-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Collected myself...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

From what I have read and seen, there is cheating in virtually every class in virtually every organization. I think it starts out with a couple of drivers who do so because they do not care about integrity, but then transitions to "everybody is doing it, so I have to in order to compete." I find it frustrating. The best solution, IMO, is NASA GTS. Cheating can happen, but I believe it is more difficult.

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I'd be interested in why people would want to ruin a spec class by building illegal engines. It will be very obvious as soon as the walk away from their competitors on the first straight. The spec 911 community in CA is pretty tight. We are interested in good racing and camaraderie. Cheaters are not well received.

The engine rules are pretty simple. People should not be building exotic motors as the rules are pretty clear on this issue. Unless the modification(s) are listed in the rule book that are not legal.My motor has 46 mm PMO carburetors and stock motor except for the modifications outlined in the rules and 1.5" headers. It puts out 240 hp on the engine dyno, which is pretty typical for 3.0L motors with this setup. There is nothing exotic about it.

Most of the cost involved with building a top level race is labor. The parts needed for a spec 911 are relatively affordable and easily obtainable. You don't need to spend 100K to have a good car.

"Referred to as the 911 "Spec" Class. This is a unique Porsche Racing Challenge Series classification for Porsche 911 racing cars with a limited set of modifications. These modifications allowed/required for this class are described in Appendix A. Modifications not specifically listed in Appendix A, or elsewhere in this document, are prohibited for cars in the 911 "Spec" Class."
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

"Crankcase: any 911 case and machining of any kind is allowed." That's where I see $$$. Shuffle-pin, knife-edge, etc., etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I encourage those interested to really get the facts when it comes to what is happening in this class here in Northern California. It is growing very well here, despite the condition of the economy. Sure, there are cars that have well over $100k invested, but there are also $20-30k (or less) cars that have been competitive, with guys driving to events on their race tires or with them on racks on top of their cars.

For many types of racing cars, owners/builders/buyers have to decide what makes sense for them. You can always spend a lot of money on things that don't make the car any faster or easier to service or easier to set up in any significant way... decisions have to be made. Do you have to have monoball bushings? I don't, and I run a GT2R car that is plenty competitive. Do you have to have Motec FI? Why... won't Haltech or DTA or something else do? Or just carbs (one of our fastest guys was very competitive with carbs for years).

We will have a number of 911 "Spec" racers at Sears Point October 24 and 25, so if you are in the area, come on out and meet folks and see the cars. Ask questions, get facts. Join the PRC (it is free) and engage our existing drivers in the forums. Peruse forums here and on Pelican to see what existing drivers and newcomers have to say about this class.

- Mike
(writes the rules for PRC)

Last edited by Mahler9th; 10-07-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
RS Ben
Intermediate

Mike has some good points!

I think all of us want to be competitive in whichever class we choose to run, it's the budget differential that can show up in track times that can be irritating. PRC has an interesting concept for the podium winners "Trophy Weights". Add weight to the fastest cars and the field becomes more competitive. The PCA has not adopted this part of the PRC's Spec 911 class, perhaps it creates more competition, an equalizer so to speak. Does this work as well as NASA's way of classing cars, as Don Bryant pointed out?

I have a car that, with a few modifications, fits into this new Spec 911 class. Currently I'm running in PCA's GT4 class with a stock 3.2 engine and getting my butt kicked, so personally I'm searching for cost conscious alternative.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex

The 3.0 motors with 964 intakes and Motec making 260hp don't qualify as exotic? Believe me, I love the idea of running my car at 2200 pounds, with no carpet, and on Toyos, but when the Spec 911 cars are running at the equivalent power to weight ratio of PCA GT-4 cars there's just no point. That and I'd have to buy 3 sets of 16" wheels.

Quick Reply: SPEC 911 - Midwest - East Coast & South