Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did so many racers NOT do the Summit Enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

90 min. enduro is too long at SP especially in the conditions the track was this past week-end......
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I didn't run the enduro for the same reason I didn't run the sprints - the owners don't give a **** about the condition of the track.
I don't believe this to be true. The owner Bill Scott is a 100 years old and his health is really failing him. Both Physically and mentally.
It's a shame too. Sterling Moss, Bob Tulius, Brian Redman, Paul Newman, Sam Feinstein, Group 44, ***** Ribbs, Wally Dallenbach, Tom Pumpellli, Joe Hauser, Tom Cruise, Ken Slagle, Denise McCluggage, and Streak have all raced there. And if anyone knows the owner Bill Scott, he won the formula V championship at the n-ring about 50 years ago when they had one.
I am not sure his kids who are running the track have the same enthusiasm for road racing that he had. It really is a shame.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I don't believe this to be true. The owner Bill Scott is a 100 years old and on his health is really failing him. Both Physically and mentally.
It's a shame too. Sterling Moss, Bob Tulius, Brian Redman, Paul Newman, Sam Feinstein, Group 44, ***** Ribbs, Wally Dallenbach, Tom Pumpellli, Joe Hauser, Tom Cruise, Ken Slagle, Denise McCluggage, and Streak have all raced there. And if anyone knows the owner Bill Scott, he won the formula V championship at the n-ring about 50 years ago when they had one.
I am not sure his kids who are running the track have the same enthusiasm for road racing that he had.
Hey, if they want a paving expert I know one, if they want a concrete expert I am one.. I don't see it as a big problem that can't be solved, they just choose to keep throwing good money away doing the same thing over and over and over.. It's less than 500 feet of a 2 mile track that is always getting chewed up. The rest, IMO, is and has always been acceptable.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen Summit worse than it was this weekend. It was "corse" in places, but no real bumps, chuckholes or lifting pavement. Tough on tires, but nothing too hard on the car. And, long live 90 min enduros, I love them !!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops, make that "coarse"
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have done the enduro except for a broken stub axle.

Also, I wish we'd skip the Enduro qualifying. It's an easy way to save an hour out of the schedule. Just use the Sprint Qualifying order, or the fastest laptime in the first Sprint Race, or just draw numbers out of a hat. After 90 minutes, we're going to finish in the *right* order.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 653 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Also, I wish we'd skip the Enduro qualifying. It's an easy way to save an hour out of the schedule. Just use the Sprint Qualifying order, or the fastest laptime in the first Sprint Race, or just draw numbers out of a hat. After 90 minutes, we're going to finish in the *right* order.
+1 for all Enduros

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I don't believe this to be true. The owner Bill Scott is a 100 years old and his health is really failing him. Both Physically and mentally.
I am not sure his kids who are running the track have the same enthusiasm for road racing that he had. It really is a shame.
And, Ed Impink, Doug Mills, Dan Torpy, Janet Guthrie, Bill Davis, Rich Lamb, Don Knowles, Bob Sharp, Pete Vandervate, Bob Leitzinger, Lou Giglotti, Rick Mandelson.........
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why was a qualifying scheduled for the enduro when a fastest time from the previous race could have been the qualifying position. A short warm up and begin the enduros so people can travel back home within a reasonable timeframe or provide a 3rd sprint right from the beginning. I didn't think the track was in that horrible a condition as it has been in the past. For me, it was timing, and end of season for me...I didn't want to buy another set of tires.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Some of you are crazy. What do we spend all this time and money on?? To RACE. I can't imagine going to all the trouble to travel to a race and then leave early. You all must get out to the track a lot...

And the Enduro is the highlight of the weekend (for me).
Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I started it

This ended it

My mechanic called me this afternoon and said I'm the luckiest man alive. It's rough out there. Axle, hub all of it all broke up!

Or I'm just really fast

Thankfully the calipers are strong!
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everyone has different time commitments. I travel on Sundays so I can pay for my racing.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Taling to the organizers on Sunday, the plan for next year may be similar to the Scahattenbaum Thunderbolt schedule...3 sprints and 1 hr enduro...Two saprints on Saturday and a sprint and enduro on Sunday..with qualifying being the fastest lap of the previous race. The hour enduro eliminates the fuel stop and extra buddies needed..
Pete
Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran all the sprints and the enduro this past weekend. And have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. While the track is not glass-smooth perfect, I have to say it wasn't bad at all. Seen Summit in much worse shape. This past weekend had some bumps here and there. But not so bad the any areas had to be avoided. Also happy that surface wasn't crumbling anywhere. Found I was able to drive offline virtually anywhere, including the carousel, without the horrible gravely feel that's been there before.

FWIW, I think eliminating the extra practice on Sunday morning makes sense. Felt very hurried before each Sunday session (IIRC, they were barely an hour apart). Also FWIW, whereas a 1-hour enduro alleviates a pitstop, I actually find that to be a fun challenge. I botched my pitstop and likely took 2nd in class because of it. I would rather improve my pit stop strategy, rather than run a longer sprint.

I can understand how a long drive home can dictate weekend plans.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Taling to the organizers on Sunday, the plan for next year may be similar to the Scahattenbaum Thunderbolt schedule...3 sprints and 1 hr enduro...Two saprints on Saturday and a sprint and enduro on Sunday..with qualifying being the fastest lap of the previous race. The hour enduro eliminates the fuel stop and extra buddies needed..
Pete

Pete,
This is definitely the best schedule I've seen yet, well done.

Mitch

Quick Reply: Why did so many racers NOT do the Summit Enduro?