Sponsored by:

Vettel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vettel...

Is it me or is Vettel looking more and more like another another famous German driver? He is really reminding me of young Michael Schumacher from the Bennetton days.

C.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, he has been very impressive in most races this year, and his race at Suzuka was text-book Schumacher.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 809 Posts

Agreed.

Yet Ferrari signed ScandalGirl Fernanda Teflonso instead of him.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-04-2009, 11:58 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I like Alonso but what was Ferrari thinking. Schu could have helped Vettel excel as much as he has on his own.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Vettel / Ferrari is the combo I really want to see.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Couldn't agree more. Vettel / Ferrari is the combo I really want to see.
I don't know. Consider what Red Bull has done with that Renault lump in the back, and then think about what could have been if it was a Mercedes. Good-bye Brawn!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people think that anyone with above average talent needs a drive at Ferrari? Given Ferrari's entry this year, I wouldn't wish that on anyone of exceptional ability. Ferrari is not the end all and be all of F1. Only after the earth, moon and stars aligned properly, did Ferrari have a great run. That was not because of Schumacher alone. A brain trust of superstars came together to produce those championships.

The designers at Red Bull have done a fantastic job this year, especially given the pace with which Braun GP showed up with at the beginning of the season. With a little further tweaking and perhaps a better lump, RBR could be all that Vettel needs to claim a WDC. Of course, this season is not over yet.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar
Why do people think that anyone with above average talent needs a drive at Ferrari? Given Ferrari's entry this year, I wouldn't wish that on anyone of exceptional ability. Ferrari is not the end all and be all of F1. Only after the earth, moon and stars aligned properly, did Ferrari have a great run. That was not because of Schumacher alone. A brain trust of superstars came together to produce those championships.

The designers at Red Bull have done a fantastic job this year, especially given the pace with which Braun GP showed up with at the beginning of the season. With a little further tweaking and perhaps a better lump, RBR could be all that Vettel needs to claim a WDC. Of course, this season is not over yet.
A-G-R-E-E
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,181 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar

No one would blame others for forgetting what is recent history anywhere except for F1 where so much has happened in the span of only 11 months.

Besides the dominant Schumacher years, they have still won constructors titles since MS retired and were 1 point or 1 fixed race away from back to back WDC with 2 different drivers -- A very remarkable accomplishment.

As has been discussed, both McLaren and Ferrari put all their efforts into winning the 2008 title and not in the 2009 car. As a result, the former Honda and now Brawn team had a great jump on the competition. As could have been predicted, even with NO inseason testing, the top teams have come back and Brawn has slippped.

Ferrari stopped work on their 2009 car long ago to put their efforts into the 2010 car. Without the Massa accident, we would have seen Kimi and Massa battle it out again in 2010 and I believe the car will be good. Now Alonso will pilot what Ferrari has been working on for several months already.

On the Vettel front, he is probably loyal to Red Bull as he was discovered out of their driver search. He is also his own agent and not yet seasoned enough for the likes of Ferrari or McLaren. Schumacher came to Ferrari with 2 championships in hand already as compared to Vettel who will get his eventually.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Semi OT, but I found it fascinating that Vettel almost did what no one else has done since Michael Schumacher did in 2004 at Hungary...grab the Grand Slam.....sort of ironic that the guy 2 laps down snagged fastest lap and robbed him of claiming that prize.

So, how long before Little Miss Sunshine grabs the Grand Slam...oh wait, she's never done it yet? Oh well, give her more time....
Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First, let me begin by stating this: I am not a "tifosi". Now, having set that fact straight, let's not ignore our history here. True, Ferrari has sucked this year, but don't forget that they've been in the sport since 1950, and have "only" won 16 World Constructor Championships and 15 WDC's. Their list of drivers includes such fabled names as Nuvolari, Fangio, Ascari, our own Phil Hill, John Surtees, Jacky Icks, Andretti, Lauda, Villeneuve, Mansell, Prost, Alesi, and Schumi.
To drive for them is to be a part of history in the making. Nothing less.

I also agree that Vettel would have been a much better selection than Alonso, IMHO.
No "baggage", no attitude, great skills, great potential, and a team player.
Nothing against Alonso either, he sure can drive.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No "baggage", GREAT attitude, great skills, great potential, and a team player.

Fixed it for you - and I agree 100%. With that said - I think it would be great for the privateer teams to pick up championships like the major manufacturers.

C.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:21 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

He did look great today in an other wise boring race.
I'm glad he's handling it all very well. Maybe that's a good reason to go with a small team as well. He doesn't have the mega million dollar salary to act like a spoiled brat.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
First, let me begin by stating this: I am not a "tifosi". Now, having set that fact straight, let's not ignore our history here. True, Ferrari has sucked this year, but don't forget that they've been in the sport since 1950, and have "only" won 16 World Constructor Championships and 15 WDC's. Their list of drivers includes such fabled names as Nuvolari, Fangio, Ascari, our own Phil Hill, John Surtees, Jacky Icks, Andretti, Lauda, Villeneuve, Mansell, Prost, Alesi, and Schumi.
To drive for them is to be a part of history in the making. Nothing less.

I also agree that Vettel would have been a much better selection than Alonso, IMHO.
No "baggage", no attitude, great skills, great potential, and a team player.
Well said.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vettel rocks.

Buttonhole is a toad.

Quick Reply: Vettel...