Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I don't like Alonso

Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm surprised by how well all of you know Alonso. ...

So the people that work day to day with FA and actually know him as a driver and a person seem to think he's great. Maybe they're not as connected as the Rennlist Anti-Alonso team.
+1

I'm astonished to see so many anti-Alonso comments surfacing on a generally North American forum.

Italians (Forums) postulated for years to make FA one of their own, and are today thrilled with his impending arrival.

I am a huge F1 fan and still face the same F1 veil of filtered media that all fans face at the end of each F1 race. Despite my interest, I fail to see any questionable ethical issues that many here allege Alonso having.

David
Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that sometimes we expect people that have great skill (like FA's driving ability) to be role models in other areas of their lives. I personally don't like the guy, because he seems to whine so often. But to expect a team like Ferrari not to hire a recognized talent like Alonso because of his bad behavior off track, is somewhat gormless.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
I think that sometimes we expect people that have great skill (like FA's driving ability) to be role models in other areas of their lives. I personally don't like the guy, because he seems to whine so often. But to expect a team like Ferrari not to hire a recognized talent like Alonso because of his bad behavior off track, is somewhat gormless.
Sorry, bro, but his "bad behavior off track" sank both McLaren for a season and now Renault.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sorry, bro, but his "bad behavior off track" sank both McLaren for a season and now Renault.

He didn't engineer crashgate, that is what sunk Renault.

That and ING pulling out...
Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
He didn't engineer crashgate, that is what sunk Renault.

That and ING pulling out...
But he surely was totally aware of it & participated in it.

Sorry, there is no moral relativism that can excuse the FACT that he has been at the very epicenters of the 2 worst scandals in modern F1 history.....and in the mere span of 3 years!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, there is no moral relativism that can excuse the FACT that he has been at the very epicenters of the 2 worst scandals in modern F1 history.....and in the mere span of 3 years!

+1 zillion.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:41 PM
RSA333
Racer

Where does 'moral relativism' figure into this scenario? That sounds like a phrase from some crusade. What does it have to do with driving talent?

I know some great neurosurgeons who do 'creepy' and 'bizarre' things away from the OR. But if I had a brain tumor, I would go to them in a heartbeat.

F1 is highly political. My local PCA Chapter tries to be very political in terms of 'in-group' and 'out-group' behavior totally unrelated to a participant's driving skill. At least in F1, like in neurosurgery, the most gifted talents rise to the top.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm surprised by how well all of you know Alonso. I don't know him at all.
Jim, I don't know Alonso and I have never claimed to.

However, his questionable actions at multiple teams have been widely reported. Whether or not you believe the media reports is up to you, but it has been well documented that he.

- Was aware of the stolen Ferrari plans when he drove for McLaren
- Attempted to blackmail his own team into giving him numero uno status in exchange for his silence
- Was most likely well aware of the plans to have Piquet crash in Singapore for his benefit

The drama that surounds him from team to team is undeniable and his actions throughout his career have been somewhat questionable. I would not deny that he has superb driving talent, but does character matter at all?

Beyond that, the year long whine fest he displayed during his time at McLaren was annoying as hell. (If he's that good, one would think that he'd shut up and beat his rookie teamate on the track)

It has been said that true character is revealed in through an individuals actions when they believe no one is watching. If his press accounts are accurate it would seem that Alonso's character is truly lacking.

Some will point to the exploits of other world champions in defense of Alonso's actions and it is undeniable that other WDC have had their share of cheap moves and misteps. However, the size and scope of the some of the recent scandals that Alonso has been involved in are alarming even by drama filled F1 standards.

For me character matters, and as a result I don't really care for Fernando Alonso.

Last edited by Ray S; 10-04-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Where does 'moral relativism' figure into this scenario? That sounds like a phrase from some crusade. What does it have to do with driving talent?

I know some great neurosurgeons who do 'creepy' and 'bizarre' things away from the OR. But if I had a brain tumor, I would go to them in a heartbeat.

F1 is highly political. My local PCA Chapter tries to be very political in terms of 'in-group' and 'out-group' behavior totally unrelated to a participant's driving skill. At least in F1, like in neurosurgery, the most gifted talents rise to the top.
Because he has brought 2 teams down already. Why Ferrari wants to be the third in 4 years is anyone's guess.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

I agree with this to some extent. It has always been outside factors that affect the performance of the team, not Alonso. On track he does his job. Sure he could have come forward and apologized for crashgate but HE did no wrong.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Because he has brought 2 teams down already. Why Ferrari wants to be the third in 4 years is anyone's guess.

He was not the impetus for crashgate and we cannot say with any certainty that the infighting at Mclaren was all his fault, or instigated by him.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The 2 posts above mine here are moral relativism.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
+1 zillion.
I'll raise another zillion.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:41 AM
RSA333
Racer

I agree with Veloce Raptor that Alonso was near the center of 2 of the biggest scandals in modern F1 (that we know about). I also dislike him - he complains too much and 'everything revolves around him.'

The last decade of research into the CNS (Central Nervous System) demonstrates that perceptual, motor and cognitive skills such as required at a very high level by a F1 driver are mediated by completely different 'centers' in the brain than are those that deal with moral/ethical behavior.

So why do we expect that there is a correlation between character and skill in these drivers? There is no experimental evidence for this, conversely, the opposite is true.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

I agree with Veloce Raptor that Alonso was near the center of 2 of the biggest scandals in modern F1 (that we know about). I also dislike him - he complains too much and 'everything revolves around him.'

The last decade of research into the CNS (Central Nervous System) demonstrates that perceptual, motor and cognitive skills such as required at a very high level by a F1 driver are mediated by completely different 'centers' in the brain than are those that deal with moral/ethical behavior.

So why do we expect that there is a correlation between character and skill in these drivers? There is no experimental evidence for this, conversely, the opposite is true.
I'm going to simplify my examples here, but the problem is that just because someone is strong in areas an F1 driver would need (cerebellum, parietal lobe, etc.) doesn't mean they are proportionally weak in an area relating to character or personalitly (frontal lobe, amygdala, etc). The brain doesn't really work that way, it isn't a trade off between abilitys and you could be under or over developed in one, both, or neither area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I don't like Alonso