Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I don't like Alonso

Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why I don't like Alonso

I bet that a lot of other folks here feel the same.

I have certain expectations of top level racers. I expect them to compete, fiercely, on the track. I prefer that there is no blocking, but the rules makers control that, so I live with blocking.

I prefer that they run a clean race, but I also know that with fierce competition, most will cross that line at some point. Hence I tend to forgive crossing that line on track when it is directed at the car they are currently racing against.

I don’t like team orders in F1, but the championship is set up to encourage it. That said, I expect the real racers to refuse to cross certain lines; putting someone else in danger (especially workers or fans) in such BS.

Off track, I expect a pretty high level of ethics. Participating in stealing other team’s secrets is unacceptable. The only thing worse than going along with unethical activities, is going along then using those activities to blackmail others (teammates, the team, sanctioning body, etc).

Bottom line, for me, is that I will continue to respect a driver who occasionally crossed the line on-track, but have no tolerance for a driver who can’t control their ethics off-track. In my book, Alonso=FAIL (great driver, lousy human being) and I have lost a lot of respect for Ferrari, as a team, for bringing him in.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver

I have certain expectations of top level racers. I expect them to compete, fiercely, on the track. I prefer that there is no blocking, but the rules makers control that, so I live with blocking.

I prefer that they run a clean race, but I also know that with fierce competition, most will cross that line at some point. Hence I tend to forgive crossing that line on track when it is directed at the car they are currently racing against.

I don’t like team orders in F1, but the championship is set up to encourage it. That said, I expect the real racers to refuse to cross certain lines; putting someone else in danger (especially workers or fans) in such BS.

Off track, I expect a pretty high level of ethics. Participating in stealing other team’s secrets is unacceptable. The only thing worse than going along with unethical activities, is going along then using those activities to blackmail others (teammates, the team, sanctioning body, etc).

Bottom line, for me, is that I will continue to respect a driver who occasionally crossed the line on-track, but have no tolerance for a driver who can’t control their ethics off-track. In my book, Alonso=FAIL (great driver, lousy human being) and I have lost a lot of respect for Ferrari, as a team, for bringing him in.
Well said, Mark. I agree with everything you said.

19 pages.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. It is one thing to come up with a boneheaded move in the heat of battle. It is quite another to concoct and consider the ramifications of planned maneuverings.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

...Off track, I expect a pretty high level of ethics. Participating in stealing other team’s secrets is unacceptable...
In his defence he didn't participate in the stealing...Nigel Stepney gave it to McLaren.

Though I agree with most of what you said.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am shocked to hear that Ferrari would invite such disruption to their well oiled organization.

Ferrari won WDC and Constructor's Title in 2007. Last year they missed WDC by 1 screw up with the fuel rig on Massa's car.

Why do this?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

I can't believe they signed him in light of all that has transpired at Mclaren AND Reneault. I think Ferrari will live to regret this decision. This man simply comes with too much baggage.

JL
Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

It is difficult for me to understand why Ferrari brought him in.... I mean, we probably only know 1/2 of the **** FA does off track.... The Santander sponsorship $$$$ must be the driving force.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Ferrari won WDC and Constructor's Title in 2007. Last year they missed WDC by a race result that should be nullified
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

You need to retitled this :

Why i don't like Alonso and Schumacher I'm sure by WDC no 5 things will be different .

Ferrari finally has a better driver than Shoooomacher , i expect Fernanado to deliver , regardless of how many Siestas the Italians take ...
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

And, on cue, there it is: BUT....BUT....BUT....SCHUMACHER!!!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You need to retitled this :

Why i don't like Alonso and Schumacher I'm sure by WDC no 5 things will be different .

Ferrari finally has a better driver than Shoooomacher , i expect Fernanado to deliver , regardless of how many Siestas the Italians take ...
This post had nothing to do with MS. He is retired. You might also be shocked to learn that Fangio, Clark and Senna are no longer competing in F1.

If your point is (and you have repeatedly raised this) that FA is not a douche because MS did the same or worse, then all I can offer is some additional logic along the same lines. I would conclude that you think that Manson is not so bad because Hitler was worse. Great logic there A Whine.

BTW, you might not have noticed that Bush is no longer President either. I am pretty sure that you were on TV blaming Bush for Chicago losing the Olympic bid.

Alonso is toxic and I have no respect for him. It doesn't matter that there are others I do not respect, my opinion of FA remains the same. It does, however, make me wonder if he really won either of those 2 WDCs, or were enough of those races thrown too. Perhaps FA is really a 0 time WDC. Hmmm. Now why don't you try real hard to stay on the topic of my OP - that is Alonso, not any of the past drivers.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Alonso. I think he really puts his heart into his racing. I don't want to make too many assumptions about Singapore but I still don't see why it was worth cheating to get him a win. He was not competing for any honors, nor was the team. All risk, no reward. I wish him the best at Ferrari and I want him to do well, despite the storm of drama and constant deprecation that is sure to follow him. He can drive.

Also, take no offense to this please, but we need to quash the idea that professional racing is, or ever was, about being ethical. Cheating is Rule #1. Always has been and always will be.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM
brucegre
Banned

Alonso is toxic and I have no respect for him. It doesn't matter that there are others I do not respect, my opinion of FA remains the same. It does, however, make me wonder if he really won either of those 2 WDCs, or were enough of those races thrown too. Perhaps FA is really a 0 time WDC. Hmmm. Now why don't you try real hard to stay on the topic of my OP - that is Alonso, not any of the past drivers.
Perfectly said Mark, he's got a proven track record (no pun intended) off the track, why Ferrari would expect him to change is beyond me. He might even win them a championship, but it will be forever tainted by his off track behaviour.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
And there it is for all eternity. If he tanks at Ferrari, your prognostication will be there to haunt you.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised by how well all of you know Alonso. I don't know him at all. This I do know. The new boss at McLaren was quoted as saying they never should have let him go. When Renault had a chance to get him back they jumped at it and when Ferrari had a chance to sign him they made him the highest paid athlete in the world.

So the people that work day to day with FA and actually know him as a driver and a person seem to think he's great. Maybe they're not as connected as the Rennlist Anti-Alonso team.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I don't like Alonso