Daytona Road course

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Last year I came out of NASCAR 4 as the top car passing two cars side by side I got VERY close to the wall... definite brown alert.
Ha ha! That happened to me in Nascar 3. Guess that I was going just a bit slower than you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Daytona Alignment????

I am doing 2 DE days at Daytona with PBOC. My 09 Carrera S is my street car but my alignment is:

FRONT
-2 camber per side
.02 degree toe per side

REAR
-1.8 camber per side
.14 toe per side
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
daytona isnt a very technical track but is still very exciting. why wait for audi club? come with PBOC in october. Quite a few of us here will be attending.
I'm in for the races

And I may have a secret Pro coach
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ha ha! That happened to me in Nascar 3. Guess that I was going just a bit slower than you.
It's REALLY bumpy up against that wall... It gives you a respect for the NASCAR boys who are going much faster...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you doing the DE part of Florida Crown and Florida Citrus Club Race at Daytona - Oct. 9-11?

I received this recently:

Unbelievable as it sounds, Florida Crown and Florida Citrus PCA regions have not filled their Drivers Ed run group at Daytona International Speedway. For anyone without a NASCAR team behind them, the chances to drive this awesome track are few and far between. Hubby and I are veterans at Lowe’s Speedway and Rockingham Speedway, but we were blown away by this exhilarating track when we drove it for our first time last year.
Hey Y’all! Watch This!!!! Don’t miss this opportunity to impress your redneck friends (and nurture that bit of redneck in all of us). Seriously, this track is host to the annual Rolex 24 and other races that use the entire playing field - oval and infield course - and is the same circuit that will be used for the PCA event.* I guarantee that you will not be disappointed by the challenging infield and the exciting (WooHoo!!) steeply-banked oval.
Helpful information:
·******** THIS EVENT IS NOT LIMITED TO PORSCHES!
Yes, you can drive your Mustang/Nissan/Corvette/BMW/Audi/etc.
·******** Advanced solo drivers only.
·******** Dates are October 9-11. Register for three fun-filled days or the 2-day almost-as-fun option.
For additional details, see the flyer at http://www.trackschedule.com/daytona_oct9_11.pdf
Contact Richard Hook rhook14@cfl.rr.com with your questions
or register at *www.clubregistration.net (DE dropdown- Florida Crown Region)
Please forward this to any and all drivers who might have an interest in driving this famous track!
See you there!!!!* -- Coco --
P.S. I am not involved in the organization of this event, but will gladly answer any questions about Daytona - speedway, environs, local “cultural” events - or about the PCA regions who are hosting this event. (Yes, they are Safety First, Fun Second.) Please send your reply to: coco@trackschedule.com
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

It's REALLY bumpy up against that wall... It gives you a respect for the NASCAR boys who are going much faster...
In MUCH heavier cars....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yeah, that was pretty much the overriding sentiment when we ran the inaugural PCA race there in 2006. Them Nascar boys have cajones.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Any of you doing the DE part of Florida Crown and Florida Citrus Club Race at Daytona - Oct. 9-11?

I received this recently:

Unbelievable as it sounds, Florida Crown and Florida Citrus PCA regions have not filled their Drivers Ed run group at Daytona International Speedway. For anyone without a NASCAR team behind them, the chances to drive this awesome track are few and far between. Hubby and I are veterans at Lowe’s Speedway and Rockingham Speedway, but we were blown away by this exhilarating track when we drove it for our first time last year.
Hey Y’all! Watch This!!!! Don’t miss this opportunity to impress your redneck friends (and nurture that bit of redneck in all of us). Seriously, this track is host to the annual Rolex 24 and other races that use the entire playing field - oval and infield course - and is the same circuit that will be used for the PCA event.* I guarantee that you will not be disappointed by the challenging infield and the exciting (WooHoo!!) steeply-banked oval.
Helpful information:
·******** THIS EVENT IS NOT LIMITED TO PORSCHES!
Yes, you can drive your Mustang/Nissan/Corvette/BMW/Audi/etc.
·******** Advanced solo drivers only.
·******** Dates are October 9-11. Register for three fun-filled days or the 2-day almost-as-fun option.
For additional details, see the flyer at http://www.trackschedule.com/daytona_oct9_11.pdf
Contact Richard Hook rhook14@cfl.rr.com with your questions
or register at *www.clubregistration.net (DE dropdown- Florida Crown Region)
Please forward this to any and all drivers who might have an interest in driving this famous track!
See you there!!!!* -- Coco --
P.S. I am not involved in the organization of this event, but will gladly answer any questions about Daytona - speedway, environs, local “cultural” events - or about the PCA regions who are hosting this event. (Yes, they are Safety First, Fun Second.) Please send your reply to: coco@trackschedule.com

Fact of the matter is this, as it was really unheard of before to get to "drive" Daytona, now it is quite easy and the answer to your post is this, the PCA and PBOC race/DE are two weeks apart and many favor PBOC, just being honest.
Also the Audi club puts on a great full DE event only a little over a month after these back to back events, so really not that unbelievable Coco.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Daytona: WING or NO WING?

I'm doing the PCA race next weekend, and the usual fairly represented H Stock is me alone. While there's a few cars in I Stock.
I have a NASA ECU to run I Prepared (15hp more), and we have also been working on Big Cup Car Wing that we could adjust in time for Daytona (per PCA rules: 10in below roofline, blah, blah... For NASA is Formula Libre so it can be as high and wide as you want).

Does it help or hurt to run a Big Wing at Daytona? What do you (Cup and GT cars) guys with adjustable wings do at Daytona?

I also have a shorter R/P but it seems this would hurt at Daytona. Am I right?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It will hurt you to run too big a wing there. The infield is mostly 2nd (or bottom of third) gear corners and the wing will not help you much. I had the 3.8 RS wing on my car and for 2006 I removed the center section to get more speed against the 3.6 996s. It made the car faster, but more squirrelly on braking for the bus stop and turn 1. For 2007 I had a new trans with a shorter R&P and because I was at redline at turn 1, I took the better acceleration and braking and left the wing section in. I was 1.5 seconds faster.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

also remember that downforce is a matter of balance. You can add a ton of rear wing in, but then the car is going to have a tendency to push in high speed cornering.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
also remember that downforce is a matter of balance. You can add a ton of rear wing in, but then the car is going to have a tendency to push in high speed cornering.
My idea was to tune the wing for downforce in the infield to save time there, as I assumed. That in the banking a slight push is not an issue as you re not going at the handling limit thanks to the mega road camber. Right?
Larry, what was the max speed delta with and without the wing element?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cgomez
My idea was to tune the wing for downforce in the infield to save time there, as I assumed. That in the banking a slight push is not an issue as you re not going at the handling limit thanks to the mega road camber. Right?
The average speed in the infield corners is about 70 mph, so there is not a whole lot of downforce to generate at those speeds. Acceleration off of the corners means more.

Larry, what was the max speed delta with and without the wing element?
I think that I have that info, but it is back at my office so Monday is the earliest that I can look at it. I do think that I picked up a few mph without the element. I know that I was about 4 or 5 mph faster in 2007 with the better acceleration from the changed trans. That put me right at 160 mph IIRC. Once you run there, you will see that a mph or 2 in the banking means a lot more than the same in the infield.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The average speed in the infield corners is about 70 mph, so there is not a whole lot of downforce to generate at those speeds. Acceleration off of the corners means more.

I think that I have that info, but it is back at my office so Monday is the earliest that I can look at it. I do think that I picked up a few mph without the element. I know that I was about 4 or 5 mph faster in 2007 with the better acceleration from the changed trans. That put me right at 160 mph IIRC. Once you run there, you will see that a mph or 2 in the banking means a lot more than the same in the infield.
Larry, thanks for all the info. Seems that 70mph avg speed (which means 50ish mph apex speeds) is too slow for the Wing to have measurable benefit (A Wing is awesome for tracks like WGI or LRP were Apex speeds are 80+mph).

Will race w/o the Wing; plus One of the big advantages I discovered of the Cayman is the very sleek aero profile (even more than stock with the car lowered). I can certainly notice it against older P-Cars that accelerate a bit harder than my car at low speeds, but can catch up or make the pass and the end of long straights at 135mph+.

Never tried 6th gear before while racing. Don't know if it is well spaced with 5th or the car will just go slow-mo after the upshift. Will find out on Friday...!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

my car goes slo-mo after the shift to 3rd gear.

Quick Reply: Daytona Road course