Sponsored by:

Ten things I hate about DE

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
1) You have to buy a whole tow rig for a dedicated track car in which you can't win.
2) When it rains, you have to put your windows down!
3) On your day off, you still have to get up early and go to class.
4) Your car requires more maintenance and attention than a super model girlfriend.
5) You get terrible gas mileage.
6) It's hard to tell stories about passing Mario Andretti when you're wearing a green wrist band.
7) There's always someone better than you.
8) There's no grid girls!
9) It leads to higher forms of addiction, like racing.
10) The season isn't long enough!
Baa haaahaha!

Go race! It solves almost all of these issues:

1) With the dedicated tow rig and track car already in hand, then if you race, you might be able to win. "You can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat..."
2) When it rains, you want to put your windows down to keep from fogging up.
3) Race meetings are at lunch or at the end of the day.
4) Your car IS your supermodel girlfriend.
5) Mileage? Its all about pounds of fuel.
7) Not if you can find a race class and you are the only one in it!
8) There ARE grid girls (at least in my mind...)

I discretely left out a few numbers, because I don't think I can help you.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pnorwood
Baa haaahaha!

Go race! It solves almost all of these issues:
2) When it rains, you want to put your windows down to keep from fogging up.
Only if you're driving an air-cooled car.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Only if you're driving an air-cooled car.
Or have no compressor!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
10) The season isn't long enough!
I can help you with number 10. Move to Texas! I'm out in December, January, February... Even July and August if you stay hydrated!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Doesn't have to be Texas.
There are club races and DEs all year round if you live near FL, GA, SC, AL, NC - yes, TX - did I leave any out?
Don't forget - in October - you can Club Race at Daytona... home of the 24 hr. Rolex
and the last Club Race of the year (I think it still is) is the first week of December at Roebling Road Raceway.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
RSA333
Racer

[QUOTE=StoogeMoe;6942733]
9) It leads to higher forms of addiction, like racing.
[QUOTE]

I hear that 'Passages' in Malibu and 'Sierra Tucson' in AZ have special programs for racing addicts.

When I started DE in 1993, what I hated most was the poor quality of the instructors and the 'politics' of our local PCA Club. After moving up, I don't care about the instructors and the other stupid social stuff. Having attended Bondurant (2X), Skippy, Russell, Roos schools, etc, I now realize why the instruction is so uneven - it's just a matter of time and who you know in most cases, there is little objectivity. They used to say it was harder to get into the red run group than to get Redskin's tickets.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Or when your working on your car in the garage and your neighbor asks how much a set of race tires cost followed by how many miles do you get out of them? The look on their face when you tell them "how many laps" you get out of a set...priceless...
My favorite question from a non-driver is "...do you like to crash?"

To which I reply, "do you set fire to tens of thousands of dollars?" Or, if in gentlemen only company, "Do you wipe your **** with hundred dollar bills?"

Point of order: DE rocks. Period. Racing ROCKS. Exclamation point. But that's to be expected. Who thinks DE is "racing?" It's not. DE is still great though. How else can you drive your street car fast and safe? Right, you can't. Oh yeah, thats why someone invented DE; duuuuhhhh!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Point of order: DE rocks. Period. Racing ROCKS. Exclamation point. But that's to be expected. Who thinks DE is "racing?" It's not. DE is still great though. How else can you drive your street car fast and safe? Right, you can't. Oh yeah, thats why someone invented DE; duuuuhhhh!
I wonder if statistics have ever been compiled comparing fatalities per DE mile to fatalities per road mile. I'd bet a nickel the track (during a DE) is safer...
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I wonder if statistics have ever been compiled comparing fatalities per DE mile to fatalities per road mile. I'd bet a nickel the track (during a DE) is safer...
If true, it is only because all race cars are fully caged with fire systems, drivers wearing Nomex & HANS, etc.

There are PLENTY of oxygen thieves driving in both types of events.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

The issue is clearer for you guys in the US where everything is Soooooo much cheaper. You can buy a race car, trailer, and tow car for less than $30k...maybe way less depending on the cars. For the rest of the world you may have to double or triple this at least! It's a royal pain in the butt for us who would love to race but just don't have the budget or even room to store all this stuff. If you read this as jealousy...well you're right. Green with envy would start to scratch the surface.
So DE may be the only speed outlet for many others on the planet. Down Under, we do speed events where you are matched with similarly fast vehicles/drivers and while you're really only against the clock you can pass and be passed so long as it's safe. So it's not w2w but it's still fun. I'd love to do some proper racing. Hopefully the right 'Numbers' come up whereby the budget will be severly increased!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Be careful asking if you don't want to know the answer. Racing, DE, and Porsches aren't about rational decisions, they're emotional ones.

Rule #1 of race club, don't calculate the cost of race club.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^^ Well said.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting thread... One of the reason's that I have put off doing more DEs is because I hated be in the green group with a bunch of GT3s and GT2 and 996TTs (with my lowly 944)... Spent more time trying to get out of their way and signaling passes even if they were not better driven... just so much faster...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Interesting thread... One of the reason's that I have put off doing more DEs is because I hated be in the green group with a bunch of GT3s and GT2 and 996TTs (with my lowly 944)... Spent more time trying to get out of their way and signaling passes even if they were not better driven... just so much faster...
That's actually fun when you get good enough in green that you can stomp those guys in $100k+ cars with a 944
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
That doesn't stop when you get out of green.
Example. At Tbolt after I give the point on the straight I catch up and at turn two, they brake. Its uphill!

Quick Reply: Ten things I hate about DE