Sponsored by:

Advice on instructor seat/harnesses for my DE car

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on instructor seat/harnesses for my DE car

I've been converting my 1986 951 into a DE/Track car. At this point, I've stripped the interior and installed a rollbar (which is designed to become a full cage at some point in the future). I've got a Recaro profi SPG seat. I will be getting harnesses and a head-and-neck system.

What should I do about a seat and harnesses for the instructor?

Would it be bad form to find an expired FIA seat? used harnesses?

If I'll be getting 2" shoulder belts to accommodate a HANS for myself, should I get 2" or 3" for the instructor?

I'm looking to do this as cost effectively as possible since the eventual plan will be to remove the seat and harness for the instructor.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
Would it be bad form to find an expired FIA seat? used harnesses?

If I'll be getting 2" shoulder belts to accommodate a HANS for myself, should I get 2" or 3" for the instructor?
Answer to the first question is yes. You should honor the safety/life of the instructor as you would your own.

I'd recommend a 3" belt for the instructor side since many/most of them don't wear a HANS to instruct. If they have a HANS, the 3" will work. If they don't, 3" is better for them. jmho
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure if this is a national pca requirement; but you would need to put in "like for like".
if the driver has 5/6 points, then the passenger has the same type.
not necessarily identical, but the same type.
btw----5/6 points can only be used with a seat that has the shoulder holes.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
teamking
Pro

Thanks, Mike.

What about an inexpensive tube frame seat? Are they less safe, even with an FIA sticker?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy and install the most expensive, best quality products available for the instructor. These people are putting their lives in your hands to help you be a better driver. They deserve the best.
(yes I instruct)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 248 Posts

Put your good seat for the instructor, buy a cheap seat for yourself... then when you don’t need an instructor anymore, swap them.

But assuming you will keep doing DE, at some point you will probably instruct and need a good seat to take students in. Buy 2 good seat and harnesses... This is not the place to try to save money, for yourself or anyone else.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

This hobby costs lots of $$$. Is there any compelling reason to spend less on your instructors' seat as you do for your own?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Most PCA regions and all of zone one call for equal restraints for driver and passenger. Would you ride with an instructor who had a lawn chair on the passenger side?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not go out with a student who did not value my life as much as their own.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
I would not go out with a student who did not value my life as much as their own.
+1. Can you warn us as to which region you are in?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Guys, lets give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that attention to equal safety needs to be paid. However, that doesn't have to mean equal cost. For example, you might put a lighter weight seat on the driver's side. Or maybe a halo on the driver, but a non-halo, low bolster on the passenger side. Or a Recaro on the driver's side because it fits you better, but a Sparco on the passenger side. Safety and $ are not always directly proportional imho.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Equal restraints. 3" wide belts if going 6 points as 3" will work with or without Hans.

Buy a decent seat that accommodates most instructors.

Safety first.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by jscott82
Put your good seat for the instructor, buy a cheap seat for yourself... then when you don’t need an instructor anymore, swap them.
Good advice and good idea. If I get in your car and the passenger gear is obviously not as good as the driver gear, then you'll need a new instructor.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

If you are going to run with PCA then an expired seat will not cut it unless you put in a seat back brace. I can see why fiberglass seats may have a lifespan but I'm not sure why it also applies to aluminum seats.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 AM
barkerd427
Advanced

You could just skimp on both like I am going to. Half kidding. I will be doing HPDE's with NASA until I can get my license so I don't need to worry about all this PCA stuff and full on racing just yet. I will be getting 2 Corbeau reclining seats for the next season. They are cheap and comfortable. That way I get the benefit of a seat that holds me in place and I can drive to and from the track. You probably won't be doing any full racing right away so this might be an option until you are done with an instructor. They probably don't add much safety, but while I am learning I won't be going to the limit. Once I am done with an instructor I will remove both of those seats and install one dedicated, approved racing seat on the drivers side. That would be your Recaro in your case. If I get to that point then the whole car will be stripped down and it will not be driven anywhere but the track.

Quick Reply: Advice on instructor seat/harnesses for my DE car