Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on instructor seat/harnesses for my DE car

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recaro fixed backs are quite comfortable. I feel like the pole position is a good passenger seat for an instructor since the width isnt too narrow. I have a Profi SPG and a Pole Position for my driver/passenger.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While on the subject, I won't instruct in a black run group car without proper seats and harnesses....
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Ive been thinking of this some more....
No offense to the OP... but, it seems like you are thinking of this backwards. “I don’t plan on wrecking so what difference does it make what seat is in the passenger side”. IMHO, when it comes to safety, you need to think of it as "WHEN I wreck and someone (myself, passenger, other driver, anyone) gets hurt, will I have any regrets, could I have done more". By putting a different seat (better, worse, cheaper, etc), I would imagine if the instructor got hurt you would feel terrible.

Skimp on anything/everything else until you get the safety aspect of the car squared away.

Again, just my 2 cents...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get a fixed back seat for both positions...

BTW, I may soon be selling one of my Sparco Evo L seats (which would make a great DE seat for you or the instructor, (shameless plug))
Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
While on the subject, I won't instruct in a black run group car without proper seats and harnesses....
Do black run group drivers need instructors where you run? (seriously)
Old 09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Guys, lets give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that attention to equal safety needs to be paid. However, that doesn't have to mean equal cost. For example, you might put a lighter weight seat on the driver's side. Or maybe a halo on the driver, but a non-halo, low bolster on the passenger side. Or a Recaro on the driver's side because it fits you better, but a Sparco on the passenger side. Safety and $ are not always directly proportional imho.

Here is my take.

You with a roll bar in the car you will need to have a harness on the passside. You can use any DE legal harness. Note that expired race harness are often still legal for DE if in good condition. I don't subsribe to the idea that brands need to be identical. I do not advise a 2" belt for pass side however. Reason is they require a HANS, but not all instructors will have one. Go with the 3" and they good for all.

Same for seats. Get a legal and safe seat, but it need not have all bells and whistles of the driver's seat. You may want to run a $1500 Recaro, but the pass side only needs to be safe. If the seat is not safe don't run it in the pass side. If the seat is just not as comfortable, not as spiffy etc then it is ok. A good candidate for a pass seat is a aluminum seat. Not a as cool as FG seat, but with the right seat support safe and cheap. I picked up a used kirkey for $50 with a cover. I probalby would not run the seat on the drivers side since I don't like the way it fits, but it never expires and is safe so that is all I need. Remember you will never get a seat that perfect for every instructor. Having been an instructor confort is not big deal. Being safe is, but know that the seat may be a little big for me or be sitting at an uncomfortalble angle. Not much I can do really. I can make sure I have the belts on good and basic set-up is sound and get down to business.

Now for the driver I would want them to be comfortable since it is their car.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:26 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I personally have the same type of equipment for the passenger side that I have for the driver's side. The only exception that I could envision to this is if the driver's seat was a halo type seat. This is a fairly expensive hobby and one place that you do not cut corners is safety.

Nuf said
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do black run group drivers need instructors where you run? (seriously)
Our region will occasionally have senior instructors go out with all black run group drivers to see how they're doing ...Plus I will go out and coach a black driver if asked, or if a driver is new to the track, I will go out with them or for check out rides to advance to black.

I won't get in unless they have proper safety equipment for both of us.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put identical seats (halo type) and restraints in both sides of my car, for the occasional times I take an instructor or passenger. I don't want that person to think I care any less about their safety than my own. I would have done this regardless of any rules. Most people spend more $ on a new set of tires than the passenger side safety gear. I figured the new tires could wait a bit longer. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Advice on instructor seat/harnesses for my DE car