Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gutting 996/997

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the stock mufflers are like 58 lbs, something like that. I did the muffler bypass a long time ago -- anything you can to do remove weight aft of the rear axle is a huge thing!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I figure I could get mine to 2500 dry fairly easily is I went Carlo's route with CF doors, hood, and full lexan. I too went to a GT3 roof skin, no HVAC, and Fabspeed 100 cell cats only. I couldn't believe how heavy those stock muffler were for Laguna. I'll weigh my car again tomorrow at Cal Speedway...

PS: Carlos I'm going to run Yoko slicks in tomorrow's practice for the first time...
yup, that's my setup. if darren does the same mods and gets to 2400 then i am gonna be pissed.

i'm really liking the yokos...getting a lot of heat cycles from them. i am really easy on tires though, i.e., still real slow
every time i go out on track i am getting faster yet i have not found the limit. though, my heat cycles are pretty tame by your standards.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darren
It's a 2002. I did take off the sunroof panel though and replace it with a gt3 skin. I'm sure that saved a lot of weight. The lexan front/rear "glass" went in today. Once I get the inner control arm spherical spacers fixed (they were too tall) then I'll lower it again and get a closer weight.
so your chassis is supposed to be a little heavier than mine.

let us know how it goes.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
yup, that's my setup. if darren does the same mods and gets to 2400 then i am gonna be pissed.

i'm really liking the yokos...getting a lot of heat cycles from them. i am really easy on tires though, i.e., still real slow
every time i go out on track i am getting faster yet i have not found the limit. though, my heat cycles are pretty tame by your standards.
Carlos what sized Yokes on what width rims are you running? Appologies if I've asked you previously...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:39 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos what sized Yokes on what width rims are you running? Appologies if I've asked you previously...
i'm running 230x280/650-18 on 9x11/18 rims
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Yeah hijacking but what size are the uprights on your wing? Looks very high I like I put the MaShaw cup replica wing but I'm not limited by class rules on the height of the wing.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah hijacking but what size are the uprights on your wing? Looks very high I like I put the MaShaw cup replica wing but I'm not limited by class rules on the height of the wing.
i have the crawford wing uprights. sorry, i don't know the exact length.. i mainly did it so i get better rearward visibility. paired with getty design cup car wing. doesn't fit quite right but it works for now. i will be making custom higher uprights that fit properly.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Neat car! Mine is black also. So you're going higher, wow! I guess you'll be trying to get over the roofline.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Neat car! Mine is black also. So you're going higher, wow! I guess you'll be trying to get over the roofline.
no not higher. i just want the wing to have full range of motion. i like the current height.

Last edited by karlooz; 09-18-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i'm running 230x280/650-18 on 9x11/18 rims
I ran my used Yokes today for the first time at Cal Speedway. I think they had about 5 HC on them. I turned a 1:49:1 in the first session, another 996 Spec blew a tire at 145 in T2 and that end the second session on the second lap, and then I turned a 1:50 flat in the third session in 104 temps. I called it a day after that....

Carlos how many decent HC's are you getting out of the Yokes? I really liked them today and may race them out of class on Sunday....
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran my used Yokes today for the first time at Cal Speedway. I think they had about 5 HC on them. I turned a 1:49:1 in the first session, another 996 Spec blew a tire at 145 in T2 and that end the second session on the second lap, and then I turned a 1:50 flat in the third session in 104 temps. I called it a day after that....

Carlos how many decent HC's are you getting out of the Yokes? I really liked them today and may race them out of class on Sunday....
hey, hope the weekend went well. i had a jam packed weekend at the beach, wine tasting, wedding and the niner game. finally have my laptop back.

i've been getting at least 12 HCs on them. this is in 100+ heat. running 00/01 compound.

those 280s are not designed to be a rear tire for high banked corners like cal speedway.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karlooz, how do you like the nose? Is that a GT3R clone? Getty or Mashaw?

Anyone try the new Hoosier radial slicks? I only have one day on them and still figuring out pressures. I was running them way too high. 265 front, 315 rear and even heights so it does not screw up the ABS.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an '06 997S and was wondering what you guys did (if anything) to the oiling system given the "wet" sump? Did you put in a X51 deeper oil pan, etc? Or, no problems with starvation as is? I am assuming you are running slicks.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS
I have an '06 997S and was wondering what you guys did (if anything) to the oiling system given the "wet" sump? Did you put in a X51 deeper oil pan, etc? Or, no problems with starvation as is? I am assuming you are running slicks.
x51 oil pan baffle, that's it. i've started logging oil pressures and found that i am not getting dangerously low oil pressures. on longer sustained turns i am still at 3 Bar. the lowest it goes is to 2 Bar when i am completely off the gas in a braking zone.

i haven't done high banked tracks though.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Karlooz, how do you like the nose? Is that a GT3R clone? Getty or Mashaw?

Anyone try the new Hoosier radial slicks? I only have one day on them and still figuring out pressures. I was running them way too high. 265 front, 315 rear and even heights so it does not screw up the ABS.

i like the "GT3R street" nose. it's from getty. the front end is planted on the straights (no more light steering). any added downforce in turns? ech i have changed so many things it's hard to tell. the cooling is great though.

i want to try the hoosier slicks but they are pricey.

i find that i am being hampered by the stock ABS. so much more braking grip with the slicks that the ABS actuates too soon. it doesn't freak out but i just wish it had a higher actuation tolerance.

Quick Reply: gutting 996/997