Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why did you become a certified driving instructor?........
For the Prestige.......
6.02%
I Enjoy the reduction in track fees....
26.51%
I love to teach and would like to give back........
71.08%
All of the above.......
27.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Why did you become an certified driving instructor?.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
hardracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And even one step further, Bonnie who runs the TEAM organization (not sure if she pops up on our forum here too much) gets us to dialog with the student the week leading up to the event. More than once I've been able to talk a new guy out of the "winning the DE" mindset!
What.? You can't win the DE..?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I am surprised to hear that you're not taught to ask these things. I'm not PCA certifed but instruct for Audi Club, HoD and a number of other organizations here in NorCal and we are taught to sit down with the student well beofre going out on track and discuss this sort of thng.

Learning the students goals for the DE really helps in the first session. If he tells you his goal is to be the fastest car on track or to "win" the DE, you know you'll have your hands full.
We are. There is a good amount of classroom time spent on the "3 minute interview"
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be safe. Have fun. Learn something. Equal measure of all three and the weekend tends to go better when they are applied in proper order.

Talking about this with your student is one thing and SOP in PCA. Getting it to sink in is another. Most get it, a few need some extra guidance and the rare tire wall testers never seem to fully get it.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Recently, I had a newbie student in a 997 GT3 tell me after his second day:

"these were the two best days of my life"

Enough said as to why I instruct?
Amen. I think I have more fun when a student "gets it," their face lights up, and you can just feel their excitement and sense of accomplishment, than when I am just driving around myself.

That said, it can be pretty miserable when occasionally a student just doesn't get it, despite both our best efforts.

And...the discounted fees don't hurt, either.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I was a PCA instrucor for 20 years before I took the certification course this summer. It was worth it. It does have the potential to give a more consistent student experience. It was more about communication and the 2 minute interview than "learning how to instruct DE"

We all get a bit complacent about things and a review was good.. for instructors and our students.

Kyle
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Be safe. Have fun. Learn something. Equal measure of all three and the weekend tends to go better when they are applied in proper order.

Talking about this with your student is one thing and SOP in PCA. Getting it to sink in is another. Most get it, a few need some extra guidance and the rare tire wall testers never seem to fully get it.
+1 to this sentiment as well. When I introduce myself to the student for the first time, I usually tell him/her "I have 3 responsibilities to you this weekend; make sure you're safe, have fun and learn something". Sets a good tone for subsequent discussions.

Quick Reply: Why did you become an certified driving instructor?.........