Sponsored by:

I propose a voluntary national dyno program

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinkert
Who's to say that someone applies the same concepts that you did and gets the same results? As they say about 911s, every one is different. The very concept of gentleman's racing presumes that we take care of each other...and also help each other out from time to time. That's the fun and challenge of it. Remember, no $$ to win.
No money, but plenty of free tires in NASA.

As for "every one is different", that's only in very small details. Spring rates, damper curves, engine tricks, etc aren't something that will work totally different from one 1979 911 to another.

From the little I've seen, we help each other out. I need some ballast 'cause I'm having trouble making weight...someone steps up and lets me borrow their spare tire. Someone busts a trasmission or rocker arm, someone else donates the part or helps wrench the car back into shape overnight for the next race.
And this is the same as sharing setup information how?

Hell, I've lost races before because we were so busy helping other racers with their mandantory pit stops, that I couldn't even get in to make my mandantory pit stop before the pit window closed. Helping racers out with parts, wrenching, crew, etc, etc is absolutely a part of gentleman's racing. Handing your competitor your setup secrets instead of making him earn them isn't.

Would you slow down and point your competition by during the race in the name of "helping him out"? Of course not. Wrench on his car and lend him a spare clutch so he can get back out on track and race with you, but don't hand him the secrets to going fast.

If the point is winning every time, and I really wanted that, I'd have picked a class that had *nobody* in it.
I didn't say the point was winning every time (although that is the goal). The point is competing. Competing to build and drive a faster car. Football teams don't share their play calls with each other in the name of making the game more fun do they?

Winning a class without any competition completely misses the point entirely.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Didn't you also just invest a small fortune on a suspension upgrade? To be sure, it was a prerequesite to work on your driving skills (after you shared that vid from earlier this summer...). But it also increased the potential of your car.

Why do we spend money to go faster? My wife keeps asking me this question. Help!

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
There will always be cheaters in all aspects of life.......

Why are we shocked it happens in PCA CR?.....

Personally I decided to work on the driver itself......

I can't be called a cheater for that......

It would be nice to have a fair playing field in CR..... but then again I should stop fantasizing......

Last edited by FredC; 09-10-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It won't per se, but for example if all the D cars put out 175HP on the dyno and then one pops up at 210, that may say something....
Yes it says more inspection of that motor is called for.

The dyno can be easly cheated and HP is not the question as HP levels are not regulated in the PCA CR rules. Listed things done to the motor are. Many things can be inspected or measured such as displacment, cam timing and lift, piston dome shape, intake type and internal size and the like can all be checked in static form. Running ATF in the trans is not banned but will give some more HP to the wheels at the cost of the gear box in short order. Carefull slection of parts and tuning to a fine degree are not banned but grinding often is. Look for the banned stuff.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,182 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Hell, I've lost races before because we were so busy helping other racers with their mandantory pit stops, that I couldn't even get in to make my mandantory pit stop before the pit window closed. Helping racers out with parts, wrenching, crew, etc, etc is absolutely a part of gentleman's racing. Handing your competitor your setup secrets instead of making him earn them isn't.

Would you slow down and point your competition by during the race in the name of "helping him out"? Of course not. Wrench on his car and lend him a spare clutch so he can get back out on track and race with you, but don't hand him the secrets to going fast.
I guess I haven't 'earned' enough development on my car that I have any secret sauce to share. So there's no harm in me revealing my setup. Anyone can go to elephant racing or smart racing and get the same advice.

I didn't say the point was winning every time (although that is the goal). The point is competing. Competing to build and drive a faster car. Football teams don't share their play calls with each other in the name of making the game more fun do they?
But as soon as a play is run, it's all out on the table for the other team to figure out why it worked/didn't. No secrets there...all on video.

Winning a class without any competition completely misses the point entirely.
Isn't that what could theoretically happen if your car is so much better developed than the rest of your class? If everyone else has 200 hp and you legally have 220? There'll be cars on track in your class, but they can't realistically compete over the course of a 30-60 minute race. You'll be lapping on your own without any real competition. Not as much fun as protecting the inside line or trying to get a run on someone on the back straight...even if I'm 10th in class out of 15.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Didn't you also just invest a small fortune on a suspension upgrade? To be sure, it was a prerequesite to work on your driving skills (after you shared that vid from earlier this summer...). But it also increased the potential of your car.

Why do we spend money to go faster? My wife keeps asking me this question. Help!
Yes, the new suspension has increased the potential of my car, but I still need to work on the driver......

Why do we spend money to go faster? Great question......
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't that what could theoretically happen if your car is so much better developed than the rest of your class? If everyone else has 200 hp and you legally have 220? There'll be cars on track in your class, but they can't realistically compete over the course of a 30-60 minute race. You'll be lapping on your own without any real competition. Not as much fun as protecting the inside line or trying to get a run on someone on the back straight...even if I'm 10th in class out of 15.
If it is legal it is OK. He found 20 HP you could have found too. Racing is and always will be car and driver. Prep of the car and driver are key. Leaving anything out that you could have done to improve you holdings is not part of wining.

Beating the guy with 220 with your 200 and mad skilz. Now thats a Win. Having a 2 car race in the back of the pack is a win too. I have seen plenty of guys that were below the crease come in after a race and spend 20 min as a group reliving the race all smiles and hands making car movements.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Hi
Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about getting a mobile dyno for next year's club race at the Glen? Alot of racers attend the race so for a small fee each I'm sure we could cover the costs.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
How about getting a mobile dyno for next year's club race at the Glen? Alot of racers attend the race so for a small fee each I'm sure we could cover the costs.
Bet that would be a lonely area of the track..

I would do it, especially if it was a dyno that was acceptable to NASA for a yearly run..
Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bet that would be a lonely area of the track..

I would do it, especially if it was a dyno that was acceptable to NASA for a yearly run..
Seeing as I know nothing about spark plug gaps, ignition timing, or any of that other "science" and have never had my car dynoed, I would be there too!

Quick Reply: I propose a voluntary national dyno program