Sponsored by:

Too Much Caster? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Too Much Caster? HELP!!!!

OK another post from me...I've been searching the forums and it seems like guys that have done the GT3 lower control arms like I just did on my 997S have less caster than I do.

I noticed my front wheels are pushed forward in the wheel well and when I looked at my alignment specs I noticed my caster went from 8 degrees with the stock lower control arms to 10 degrees with the GT3 Cup control arms.

Is this wrong, what is correct? I've heard 997's are not adjustable for caster but obviously from the looks of the wheels in the wheel well and the specs something changed.

HELP! The pic in my sig with with the stock arms and is not what the car looks like now.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you do? If you added shims to the control arms to get more camber it will add caster because it pulls the control arm forward. That is why it is better to add camber by moving the strut inboard (by what ever method). I understand that you can flip the control arms to the opposite side and it will reduce the caster because it positions the locating hole more forward in the arm, reducing the caster. Alternately you can just get GT3 strut tops that can be set for more camber, and it will not affect the caster.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Larry, I'll call you...I did not do anything, Vortex Motorsports in Tampa did the work. I'm loosing sleep over this. They say everything is correct but the whole front end of the car looks freakin weird to me.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As Larry says, they did not account for the caster change when they added camber. The lower control arms have provisions to fix it based on how many shims they used on the lower control arm. The procedure is outlined in the factory service manual.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

So what is wrong with more positive camber...gives a slightly longer wheelbase. Works on my 964..
Pete
Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TREMPER
So what is wrong with more positive camber...gives a slightly longer wheelbase. Works on my 964..
Pete
I don't know what is wrong with 10 degrees positive caster on my 09 997S but it seems like a lot more than all the other specs on the forum with 997S and GT3's. It is that the wheels do not look centered in the wheel well so between the look and the specs of other cars I am very concerned.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Pete
I hope you mean caster and not camber. Too much caster can make the wheels having too much desire to return to center and in corners the tire patch and slip angle between the inside and outside tire is affected negatively
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yes Caster not Camber. I got the car back to the shop tonight...I owner of Vortex was kind enough to meet me there. They will have the car this week while I am out of town on biusiness and have it ready for me to pick it up Friday to go to my track event.

Anyway the owner talked to the tech and the tech said he will flip the lower control arms to get the ccaser back down to were it needs to be.

I discussed this with Larry Herman on the phon elast night...THANKS Larry for taking time out to speak with me...and he also mentioned posibly flipping the control arms to get eh caster back down.

Quick Reply: Too Much Caster? HELP!!!!