Are wheel spacers safe for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Wheel Enhancement still blows- thievin' bastards
Can you explain this a little more? I plan(ed) on doing business with them, when I get the money for new wheels.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:11 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought some Fikse FM10's for my RS America from Wheel Enhancement, and silly me, I relied on them to send the correct offsets. They came with incorrect offsets, and then they gave me the finger on solving the problem. Fikse played dumb while at the same time telling me they were screwed up. $3000 learning experience.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Who sells the longer lug bolts? Suncoast?
CDOC
Old 08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
But do you realize that for the first time ever, Ted has been sober for more than 24 hours.
Like Denis Leary says, good senator, but a bad date.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

How dangerous are the studs in the spacers, even if made by porsche? That entire 50lb tire/wheel holding 2000lbs of car, and 1000s of foot-lbs of torsional loads, is a bit worrysome when it all rides on a 1/2" thick disc of aluminum.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Mark, once the lugs are torqued down on the studs, the spacer does not carry a torsional load. it is just sort os "squished" into the hub by the wheel.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on which you are talking about...the spacers where they slide over the car's studs, then the wheel, then the lugs torqued down, or the "adapters" where the (usually thicker) spacer is bolted to the car's studs with the lugs, then the wheel is bolted to studs that are embedded in the "adapter"? Porsche has used both from the factory in the past.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Dave,

I was talking about the spacers with the studs in them. (porsche part ). they look like good quality, but the thought of the spacer, bolted to the hub with the stock studs and nuts, and then the wheel bolted to that spacer (studs cast in the spacer) is my question.

I agree, just a spacer and long studs is very safe, HOWEVER, hubcentric requirements might be looked at, as most porsches and wheels use the hub, not the studs for centering the wheel, as well as for increasing side loads on the studs that are not designed for the duty. I've done/do this, as the lugs help with centering but Ive heard that is a consideration as well.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, once the lugs are torqued down on the studs, the spacer does not carry a torsional load. it is just sort os "squished" into the hub by the wheel.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Dave,

I was talking about the spacers with the studs in them. (porsche part ). they look like good quality, but the thought of the spacer, bolted to the hub with the stock studs and nuts, and then the wheel bolted to that spacer (studs cast in the spacer) is my question.

I agree, just a spacer and long studs is very safe, HOWEVER, hubcentric requirements might be looked at, as most porsches and wheels use the hub, not the studs for centering the wheel, as well as for increasing side loads on the studs that are not designed for the duty. I've done/do this, as the lugs help with centering but Ive heard that is a consideration as well.
OK. I was thinking of the hub-centric spacers that I use that hhave 5 holes for the studs.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMP performance sells long bolts up to like 60mm
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So, have you heard about the safety of the spacers with built in studs. Just seems real dangerous, but Ive been racing with them for 8 full seasons and they are holding up...............until they dont....

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK. I was thinking of the hub-centric spacers that I use that hhave 5 holes for the studs.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
So, have you heard about the safety of the spacers with built in studs. Just seems real dangerous, but Ive been racing with them for 8 full seasons and they are holding up...............until they dont....

mk

No, I have not. Sorry.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The problem with adapters with the studs built in is you have 10 lug nuts holding the wheel on. More importantly, there is no way to check the torque of the inner lugs without removing the wheel. Kind of a real inconvenience to check torques inbetween sessions.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Good point. However, after a while they become just rusted on . I do check them occasionally, but they have never needed a extra torquing. If it wasnt such a HUGE pain to change the studs, I would have done it a long time ago. you basically need to do an entire wheel bearing replacement job in the rear assembly on a 928, and it is not fun.

Originally Posted by Van1
The problem with adapters with the studs built in is you have 10 lug nuts holding the wheel on. More importantly, there is no way to check the torque of the inner lugs without removing the wheel. Kind of a real inconvenience to check torques inbetween sessions.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you are talking about lug bolts and not studs. I think it is a late model car, right? I don't know whether Porsche ever shipped a spacer of this type on a later car...

Anyway, I wouldn't blindly accept BB feedback on studs when my car used bolts and was a later model car. I might hit up the PCA tech resources or perhaps a racing-oriented business with customers tracking late model cars. Back in the day I called KMR on these types of questions, if/when I didn't have local resources. I wonder if the folks at Racer's Edge would have an opinion. I think they may have appropriate experience. I have never met Karl in person, but he seems to have the right type of perspective for this type of question.

Quick Reply: Are wheel spacers safe for the track?