Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a couple of questions when going into a turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 02:33 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Wow thanks for all of the information, i just picked up some things i never thought off.

This is great!
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:34 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Good questions. If you watch in car video from top drivers, the drivers may be very busy as you say, making frequent small and occasionally large corrections.

But the CAR is serene. Smooth. Flowing.

See the difference?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

sorry i cant figure out this multiple quote thang
would you have any videos that show the driver and also the car if possible.
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:46 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Here is a pretty good example that shows hands and smooth car. Very small inputs, VERY smooth,serene, flowing car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61089187734936
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

A little info on "lifting" in a 911. Yes it works in many situations, but don't wait to fully feel the cars reaction:

NASA race at Summit a couple of weeks ago we had the worse scenario: Deluge of rain night before (2feet of water in the paddock). Still humid before our race, then misting rain for the entire sprint race. Most of us were on wets, but even then it was treacherous. It took 3 laps and some sorting to figure on any consistency of turn in points, but in T10 (critical turn before the front straight) you needed to defend the corner and carry some speed to the apex with heavy understeer, then lift, yes lift and start applying smooth power during track out. Same situation was true in T3 but LFB worked better. It must have been effective because I set fastest race lap in the field by getting down the front straight quickly. The amazing result was no one wrecked, plenty of spins, but no carnage
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:53 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Another video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/73855/...el_schumacher/
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Here's one. or look for any of Seth's videos.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/1_lap.htm

Old 09-01-2009 | 03:41 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here's one. or look for any of Seth's videos.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/1_lap.htm

thanks where can i find the rest
Old 09-01-2009 | 03:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

thanks where can i find the rest
He has posted some here. Or look on www.bimmerworldracing.com

Old 09-01-2009 | 04:30 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

I am going to copy a post I made on another forum where we are talking about driving at 10/10ths compared to 11/10ths. The basics of this are watching the steering wheel, attitude of the car, and how the car is guided around the race track in both scenarios. One is driving the car over the limit of adhesion. This required more dedication and movement of the wheel to force the car where I wanted it to go at a faster speed. The other is guiding the car around the track as smooth and as fast as possible.

From other board:
In a thread like this it is hard to differentiate the difference of 10/10s vs 11/10s driving. Here are a couple of videos I think show it off pretty well from my in-car camera.

The first is from the Sebring World Challenge Touring Car race in 2008. I qualified on the pole but was moved to the back because of a broken exhaust hanger hanging too low. So I had a challenge on hand as I knew I had a fast car but I needed to get to the front. I ended up finishing 5th but I had to drive the car 11/10ths to get there.

11/10ths at Sebring

This video from Mid Ohio is qualifying for the Speed World Challenge Touring car race in 2007. I qualified 3rd and had pole until the very last minute of qualifying. Joey Hand qualified right behind me in the same car. This video is a great example of getting everything out of the car in fast but controlled manner. The tires were at all times right on the verge of the slip angle but never really exceeded it except in one small spot.

Driving 10/10ths at Mid Ohio
Old 09-01-2009 | 05:24 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Seth, the standing start decision to go up the middle was brilliant. I would have been stupid and tried the outside (likely made part of the concrete barrier). Nice driving to the front.
Old 09-02-2009 | 10:02 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Great videos Seth, thanks for the input!
Old 09-02-2009 | 10:48 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
My Take?

In the strictest sense, if you are carrying maximum speed into a corner, you ARE trail braking to both rotate and save the corner. If you were to simply roll out of the throttle, you'd most likely get big understeer, which is "losing" the corner. You trail brake to rotate the car, saving your turn. It is one and the same. If you are trail braking to rotate the car only, you likely could have gone faster. In other words, if there is no component of save in there, you've put time on the clock. How many of us do this? Not many. For me, not only is it a sphincter squeezer, but the cost/benefit ratio is not to my liking. Since I'm driving for pure fun, what's the point in losing it? That aint fun to me.

I will offer you a theory that if you find that you have time to coast in a corner before getting on the throttle, you could have been on the gas for that very same length of time instead, and then used TB to stay on the FC. You likely would then be faster through the turn. IF... you were good enough to trail brake and gather it all up to exit cleanly.

It's a pretty fine line, hence the steering corrections you see in-car. Next time you go into Big Bend, think about all this and do some 'sperimentin.
Yeah, I did that.
Once.
I like your clarification on both saving and rotating when closer to the limit, so using your terms:

lap 1: left time on the clock.
lap 2: left a little less time on the clock.
lap 3: left even less time on the clock.

lap 4: lost the corner.

And could not gather it up to exit cleanly. Ventured into the marbles and made an early departure well before track-out. At the point of departure, it was an instant 80 mph romp through the grass in my daily driver, so I've not 'sperimented there any more.
Old 09-02-2009 | 02:08 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
At the point of departure, it was an instant 80 mph romp through the grass in my daily driver, so I've not 'sperimented there any more.

Great stuff, ERV. Right on target!

Quick Reply: a couple of questions when going into a turn