2009 F1 GP at Spa - Preview, discussion, predictions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Default 2009 F1 GP at Spa - Preview, discussion, predictions

I can't believe no one has started this thread yet as the cars will roll out on track in less than 24 hrs.

By far the best track for passing and viewing pleasure on the entire F1 calender, the circus should be run at Spa every other week in my opinion.

I haven't seen what compounds Bridgestone's will introduce yet, but the conditions appear they might be dry based on this report:

Spa weather update: Dry weekend expected
27 August 2009

Despite some contrasting predictions and Spa's unique microclimate, local weather reports suggest a generally dry weekend for the Belgian Grand Prix. The circuit, set in the Ardennes forests, enjoyed an August heat wave whilst Formula One was in Valencia last weekend and rain is only expected on Friday.

With Spa-Francorchamps famous for its weather, many races - including last year - have been thrown upside down due to untimely rainstorms. For this weekend, however, most weather forecasts suggest that rain is likely to hit the track only on Friday - the day of the weekend's first two 90-minute practice sessions - with more sunshine peaking through the clouds over the course of the weekend.

Ambient temperatures in the region of 18°C (64°F) will be present on Friday but are expected to gradually climb throughout Saturday and Sunday with predicted numbers circulating around highs of 23°C (73°F) for what is expected to be a full dry race this year.

My podium:

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Webber

Just off podium:
The 2 Finns
Kimi
Heikki

I see the Brawn cars in the points, but not at the front as the weather may be dry, but not warm enough for the Brawns to get their tires up to optimal temps.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I screwed up the poll. I thought I had Hamilton on already. Can a mod add Lewis before Dez has a heart attack and sees it as a conspiracy against him (eventhough I picked Hamilton to win the last race and 2nd this race)?

Maybe even Alonso for our buddy A. Wayne?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vettel all the way with Webber 2nd. Hammy 3rd. Kimi might be able to get 4th but that requires as perfect drive as he's had the past two races (plus some luck since this time Spa doesn't really suit Ferrari).

I'd add Alonso there as well. His driving has been shaky at best lately but Renault should be fairly strong so maybe some weird outside chance is both Red Bulls fail and something else happens to McLarens.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM
MissBehavin'
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since no one has yet added Hamilton, I checked other

1. Hamilton, not that I'm a fan
2. Kimi
3. Webber

I think Vettel's only chance is if it rains, and he doesn't blow up!

Best pic.... best place....cannot wait
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the RBs will do well at Spa so picked Webber.

I also would like to see KR do well especially if his his last Spa.

My podium: Webber, Kimi, Vettel with the McLarens following close behind. Brawn may be lucky to get in the points and then JB will really start to lose it.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

KR (for sentimentality) but hoping (like he I suspect) for just a podium.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default News: Outside Change of Fisi in a Ferrari at Monza?

In F1 when they say "no" that means yes. Could Fisi's dream come true of driving a Ferrari in front of his countrymen at Monza if Luca Badoer has 2 subpar races in a row?

Ferrari have never called, says Fisichella
27 August 2009

Giancarlo Fisichella has explained that, despite much speculation, he has not been in touch with Ferrari with regards to being a driver for the Italian team ahead of its home Grand Prix next month. Despite admitting that the opportunity would be a dream, the Roman states that the prospect is currently no more than that.

Italian Fisichella made his F1 debut with Minardi in 1996
With Luca Badoer currently standing in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari, the test driver's performance was generally regarded as below par in Valencia last weekend as a Ferrari qualified slowest on merit for the first time in Formula One history before finishing last, a lap down, in Sunday's race.

"There is quite a lot of speculation on that," Fisichella told Autosport of his apparent links with the Scuderia. "I think there are a lot of rumours, and I have seen my name on the top of the list everywhere, but Ferrari didn't call me so for me it's nothing; if they had called me I could say something more but I have not contacted them - I'm a Force India driver, it's as simple as that."

The Badoer mishaps continued when arriving in the Spa paddock on Thursday as the Italian battled his way through security at the paddock entrance after losing his access card. Was Fisichella taken aback by the on-track showing in Spain?

Luca Badoer's return to F1 has not been a successful one so far
"I thought Luca was able to do much better than that, even though he hasn't driven in the last few months, but he was struggling quite a lot," Giancarlo replied. "Obviously there was a lot of pressure for him with the new circuit and everything; probably here is going to be better but he needs to have a big improvement compared to the last race."

Fisichella is currently managed by Enrico Zanarini, a former manager of Eddie Irvine; could his contacts from the Irishman's time at Ferrari be of any assistance to a possible drive for his current driver? "He has a lot of friends," Fisichella added. "I have a lot of friends too. Stefano (Domenicali, Team Principal) and even the President (Luca di Montezemolo), but nobody has asked anything about my contract or about my possibility to race in the future, like for Monza or whatever - so far nothing has happened. I would be happy to have the opportunity."
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Fisichella? What?! Fisichella replacing injured Massa?

Hey, the internet F1 rumors have finally caught what was talked inside a month ago. I guess better late than never...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finn, don't you know that it's not true until it's posted on the internet???
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I screwed up the poll. I thought I had Hamilton on already. Can a mod add Lewis before Dez has a heart attack and sees it as a conspiracy against him (eventhough I picked Hamilton to win the last race and 2nd this race)?

Maybe even Alonso for our buddy A. Wayne?
Done....hope I spelled everything correctly.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

What right thinking Italian would possibly leave a Force India ride for a Ferrari seat?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
What right thinking Italian would possibly leave a Force India ride for a Ferrari seat?
I think this is an audition for Monza.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Quick question on Vettel's chances... He's already gone through 6 or 7 of the 8 engines allowed, and there are 6 races remaining. The penalties he will incur for using additional engines will pretty much nullify any chances of him becoming WDC, right? Or am I missing something here?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I meant Fisichella would give his left nut.

Speaking of things Italian, an Italian friend here is having a party tonight for Miss Italy and some other Miss Universe participants after the pageant here on the w/e. I'll check my schedule but I believe I'm free.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Finn, don't you know that it's not true until it's posted on the internet???

Originally Posted by ilko
Quick question on Vettel's chances... He's already gone through 6 or 7 of the 8 engines allowed, and there are 6 races remaining. The penalties he will incur for using additional engines will pretty much nullify any chances of him becoming WDC, right? Or am I missing something here?
Correct, if he has no more engine failure, he needs to use 1 additional engine which means 10 grip penalty for that race.

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I meant Fisichella would give his left nut.

Speaking of things Italian, an Italian friend here is having a party tonight for Miss Italy and some other Miss Universe participants after the pageant here on the w/e. I'll check my schedule but I believe I'm free.
I'd say that's as difficult decision as it is for Fisichella to decide whether he's "free" to drive for Ferrari or not...

Quick Reply: 2009 F1 GP at Spa - Preview, discussion, predictions