Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009 | 11:45 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
Jose Manuel had a big one, and the Enduro was cut short due to the accident. Anyone knows if he is OK?
Was he the blue TRG car? I hope he's ok.. cars looked terrible.

Your Cayman looked amazing. I meant to track you down and chat, but it didn't happen. What happened in the enduro?
Old 09-07-2009 | 11:57 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

At the awards ceremony, the crew chief for the driver advised that he was already asking to be released from the hospital. Good news indeed! As Ben stated, weather could not have been better. Several drivers including myself turned new personal best times this weekend. The Purple enduro today was like a full out sprint race for 90 minutes. Lots of great battles but no time for a breather. Kudos to the Chicago Region and all the volunteers that make this a great event and a must do for the annual race calendar!
Old 09-08-2009 | 12:06 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

I had so much fun in G. Big thanks to Dave Mansfield for letting me co-drive and a big thanks to Glen for making that enduro a blast. He is truly one hell of a driver and a gentleman when it comes to racing. It made for some of the most fun racing I have had in a long time. I can't wait to get a new car and be out at more races.

-Mo
Old 09-08-2009 | 12:15 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo
Was he the blue TRG car? I hope he's ok.. cars looked terrible.

Your Cayman looked amazing. I meant to track you down and chat, but it didn't happen. What happened in the enduro?
Yes it was the Blue TRG car.

Thanks. In the Enduro, unfortunately, after 9 laps of trying to keep Poetl's I car in-sight, the car started smoking oil (not from the exhaust) and they "meatballed" me to the pits.
Seems to be the RMS seal, but not confirmed until it gets fully cleaned and inspected at the shop. Nevertheless, I had a blast for my first time at Road America, and can't complain about my first DNF in 12 races and 5+ hours of tracktime this weekend (Poor Car, as I did get to to test the full extent of all rumble strips!).

Great to see so many G cars out there. It felt like I was an spectator in the middle of the G-Stock World Championship! Thanks to all for some nice clean racing!
Old 09-08-2009 | 08:20 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Great event with lots of great racing. Best part is the favorable report on the driver from hospital. Thanks Chris.

Once again, I can't imagine a better venue, weather, crowd, etc. Just top notch.
Old 09-08-2009 | 08:31 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Jose's accident was one of the worst I've seen. Really glad he's ok.

I on the other hand had a pretty crappy weekend. Two races, 2 DNF's. Someone rear-ended me in Canada Corner with three laps to go in the sprint which sent me to the pits to check the damage and ending any chance at a podium.

In the Enduro I was running either 3rd with 3 laps to go and the main fuel pump relay popped out (yes, it just popped out....). RA is a VERY bumpy place and I guess four days of driving just worked it loose...

Not one of my better weekends from a driving standpoint. Never got below 2:20. Really inconsistent and I really had a hard time with the track. Did meet lots of new Rennlisters.

See everyone in Daytona.

Last edited by PedroNole; 09-08-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2009 | 09:29 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chulo
G was a blast. 12 or so cars. Wally and Jimmy were doing .33s/.34s. The rest of us were doing .36s-40s. Glen co-drove my car for the enduro, and had quite a battle with another G car, turning .36s. Great times. A few incidents in G, which sucked. All in all a great weekend. A fair amount of serious carnage in the Cup enduro. I hope all the drivers are ok. Weather could not have been better.
Ben,
Thanks so much for the codrive! Your car is awesome, it made it to 2nd in class prior to the pit stop. I think it can run a 34 if I could have had the testicular fortitude to run it flat through the kink, a 35 if I had stayed the same in the kink and pushed the braking zones down a bit more. What a blast, I can see why You guys run that class!! Please let me know when You and Mansfield want to come down to DFW and run the 6 Cup, it's on me!
Thx again!
GodSpeed and best to You and Yours!

Big Thanks to the region, as always, awesome event, track and weather!!! Many thanks!
Old 09-08-2009 | 09:33 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
I had so much fun in G. Big thanks to Dave Mansfield for letting me co-drive and a big thanks to Glen for making that enduro a blast. He is truly one hell of a driver and a gentleman when it comes to racing. It made for some of the most fun racing I have had in a long time. I can't wait to get a new car and be out at more races.

-Mo
Mo,
Great driving Bro! Always knew where You were and that You would give racing room, no double moves, just great clean racing!! Awesome!! Had to pass that guy on the grass going into carousel just to get a small gap before the pits, could not have done it without using traffic, thats for sure! You were not giving anything up anywhere!! Once again, great drive and thanks!!
Old 09-08-2009 | 09:43 AM
Glen
Race Car

Looks like at least 2 of the racers from Your region are coming down for the Patrick Long event at MSR. You should get a few more and get a transporter to just do arrive and drive. Topp Racing is in the building so support is a non issue and he can do everything You need including even rebuilding a gearbox and putting in a Cup Cage !! Several out of towners just keep their cars in the building during winter months so they can fly in and practice while Old Man Winter is in town in their region so thats an option also, then Topp can bring Your cars to the next race You do and You can get them back there if You like. Just PM me if interested.
Old 09-08-2009 | 09:51 AM
banzaisan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS

-Mo
Mo - Great Driving! Now I know for sure that my car is perfectly setup. All I need to do is become a better driver. I stayed up late last night watching the in car videos and its amazing footage! I'm only going to charge $100 to let the other G guys watch the videos!

Glen - Nice meeting you and thank you for your offer! It's been a dream of mine to drive a cup car! I'm sure Ben, Mo and I will see you soon!
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:55 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, the Chicago G - Rennlist collaboration was an unmitigated success.! All of us set new personal bests, found out what the cars are capable of and forged new friendships or renewed old ones.

We also spent time with Wally Ruiz--what a great guy! Raced with him for years and was pleased to finally get to know him. I also swung by Autometrics, Cory, but you and three guys were in the trailer reviewing data at the time. I did have breakfast with some of your crew at the Days Inn, though--sounded like a busy weekend. Next time!

I had a nice weekend, personally. I brought in a buddy who races Spec Miata and he definitely helped me extract another second out of my p-car. Car ran great and the camaraderie was unparalleled!
Old 09-08-2009 | 01:38 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen
Ben,
Thanks so much for the codrive! Your car is awesome, it made it to 2nd in class prior to the pit stop. I think it can run a 34 if I could have had the testicular fortitude to run it flat through the kink, a 35 if I had stayed the same in the kink and pushed the braking zones down a bit more. What a blast, I can see why You guys run that class!! Please let me know when You and Mansfield want to come down to DFW and run the 6 Cup, it's on me!
Thx again!
GodSpeed and best to You and Yours!

Big Thanks to the region, as always, awesome event, track and weather!!! Many thanks!
Glen - you're quite welcome. It was great to see what the old girl can do. I'm yet to watch the video, but I'm prepared for some great footage. Dave and I will have to collaborate and put our videos together. Great racing, weather, people. I'm sure we'll figure out a way to get down there this winter. Thanks again for the offer.
Old 09-08-2009 | 02:20 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

When I see gtc4 and hospital in the same sentence I am glad I did the LRP vintage race instead. I am glad to hear that Jose Manuel will be ok.
Old 09-08-2009 | 04:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Does anybody know what lap times the Spec Boxster guys were turning this weekend?
Old 09-08-2009 | 05:42 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgomez
Jose Manuel had a big one, and the Enduro was cut short due to the accident. Anyone knows if he is OK?
Guys...Josemanuel is fine but will be in hospital for a few days. He suffered a few injuries, which will keep him off the track likely for 2 months or so. I will pass on the good wishes to him from here.

Jim Hoddinott, who was also involved and is also a friend of mine is also in hospital, in Milwaukee. He also has multiple injuries and is being flown home to Ottawa today hopefully. He will be fine but will be out for a while too.

What a crazy race and a sh1tty way to end what until then was a fantastic weekend.

Quick Reply: Road America