Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitter design function and effects. Experience, Design knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Hi Dave,

I do however have to challenge you regarding the venturi effect under the car, with a large splitter. I think that with a splitter, there is no incentive (force, differential pressure) to allow the build up of pressuer to go under the car, as the air moves to differential pressure and the lower pressure is over the car. the air under the car is a straight shot from oncoming air and is at near ambient pressure, as I have measured. Im sure there is still some spill over from the splitter, but its not measureable so far. could be my car is too high in theair, or needs side skirts to keep the pressure down , or lower under the car. surely, that is the concept and im far from Panneling the underbody yet, but its a long term goal. probably more important at the faster tracks, but we are so slow out in nor cal.

mk
I think the key is the ground effect and where the venturi effect can be created. Sure you are not cramming air into a smaller area at the front edge of the splitter (if it has "0" AOA), but if the splitter is designed right, it can create a low pressure/higher velocity point somewhat near the nose. I guess maybe it is also dependant on "where" the splitter stops and the car underbody begins in making that statement. But make no doubt that underside of the splitter design is also important.

Also be careful when you say "air moves to differential pressure". That is true and is the "rest of the story" when you want to go beyond Bernoulli in describing lift as a total physical system...but in ground effect it is a somewhat different dynamic.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

OMUSA I spent time in the design labs helping to develop specialized high flow cooling products and leadign edge digitaly controled motion systems.

You are just bitter because you are loosing your hair.
I LOOK MAGNIFICENT!!

You are just bitter because you are self-impaling over & over again in true harakiri fashion, and because you apparently lack the brainpower to discern between "lose" and "loose".

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 08-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the book that proves your Eram Electric supercharger isn't a scam?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

This is the race we were you in. I suspect you were the black 911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCrMBe3j5ho

I thought we had 2 race that weekend.

If the second race is where I spun,and you passed me, good for you .

Thunderhill there was one race and I have alarcon floundering. want to see that video? I had to start in the back after being 15lbs too light to the unfair 3100lbs spec for my old bugger.

mk

Your clip shows only the beginning of the quali session on Sat. The race I was referring to is the Cup race we ran on Sunday. I have the in car video somewhere...
Yes I was in the darkblue, almost black 911.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

OMUSA I spent time in the design labs helping to develop specialized high flow cooling products and leadign edge digitaly controled motion systems.
Out of legitimate curiosity:

What are "leading edge digitaly controled motion systems"?

... and "specialized high flow cooling products"?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Bryan,

yes, a splitter can add to the amount of vacuum under the car. It has to be designed that way, as the entire frontal area needs to be engeered to do so.
Generally, I have seen only ambient pressure under the car. If you want me to measure a specific spot I will. by the way, when my splitter collapsed in testing, it was curved down. just behind it became a low pressure zone. i woudl expect that would have changed further back.

To answer your question, yes, differenctial pressure top and bottom creates downforce on the structure, but also look at the change in pressure and flow over the car. this adds to it as claykos said.

as far as downforce on the structure, .32psi at 130mph is getting near the theoretical maximum. take that vs your splitter size and divide out the pressure. my 300square inch splitter is made out of 1/16" aluminum. it puts down 100lbs of downforce at 130mph. it can handle it with the cables ive mounted. it fails without them.

Bryan, get a clue. My front defusers in my 928, are used for cooling. not that all are, but some are. they grab under front air dam air flow and route it to the wheels and brakes.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
They don't? You sure about that? Something doesn't have to be an actual air foil to create a low pressure zone. I didn't say a splitter was an airfoil, but that it acted similar (see the word: as) because they create a low pressure area underneath and a high pressure area on top. Do you disagree that there is a high pressure area on top of and a lower pressure area below a splitter?

In the case of some modern prototype cars, the front splitter really IS an air foil, with air flow above and below it and an adjustable angle of attack. There was much discussion about that during the coverage of LeMans this year.

Then why did your splitter need supports? Are you suggesting that the 150+ pounds of pressure that I've seen bend splitters (i.e. the splitters have bent at speed more than they bend when a small person stands on them) is only a small percentage of the overall downforce they create? I'm surprised I can't drive our car upside down...we must be be making 1000+ pounds of downforce from our front splitter alone.

Your "yes, right on" quote is in response to this:

Didn't you just disagree (in the first quote I provided) with the explanation that I linked to, stating that splitters do NOT work by creating a low pressure area underneath and converting the high pressure area at the front of the bumper into downward force?

What claykos says is in 100% disagreement with what you say (and near 100% agreement with the link I posted above that you previously disagreed with)...

...and yet you say he is "right on"? I think you're confused.

They have NOTHING to do with cooling. Cooling of the brake rotors is done by routing an air hose to the center of the rotor (often using a sealed duct around the rotor center) so that the cooling air can expand out through the vent vanes. Cooling of the caliper is done by ducting air directly at it. No one uses a diffuser on the front splitter to cool the brakes of their car. You show a seriously lack of understanding of (or even familiarity with) anything approaching modern race car aero and cooling with this statement alone.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

very high speed stepping motors , harmonic gear boxes and their associated drive and control electronics, and large axial flow, dual stage cooling fans.

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Out of legitimate curiosity:

What are "leading edge digitaly controled motion systems"?

... and "specialized high flow cooling products"?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

hey, i didnt say you didnt. I said loose. meaning , its waving in the wind. you might use some gel.

Lighten up francis.

OUT

mk

If brain power has to do with typos, yes, im hurting in that area. you too genius

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I LOOK MAGNIFICENT!!

You are just bitter beacuse you are self-impaling over & over again in true harakiri fashion, and because you apparently lack the brainpower to discern between "lose" and "loose".

Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

PVNRT!
mk

Originally Posted by MPD47
Where is the book that proves your Eram Electric supercharger isn't a scam?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That was a fun weekend. Heck we are racing buddies from many years ago.

That was a fun weekend. I hadnt been racing long, and you can see, that was my street car. I had a blast , even with all the extra weight POC had to saddle me up with. I get no credit?? I had my weight set bolted in the passenger compartment. I remember Dino doing the dive bomb move off the last straight in the race and I got a little too excited of the exit of the "hill". I did climb back to 4th. must have been right behind you.

good times. Like the video???

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
Your clip shows only the beginning of the quali session on Sat. The race I was referring to is the Cup race we ran on Sunday. I have the in car video somewhere...
Yes I was in the darkblue, almost black 911.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If you read the posts from the beginning, you can see that its not.
I have already started thinking of improvments based on some of the inputs.
Everything I brought up to disucss was challenged and argued. too bad.

Im done here. I think we need to end it here.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I love how this thread started off as a thinly veiled request for information and information sharing...

...and then turned into a 7 page lecture from the person originally asking for information, trying to prove to everyone just how much he knows about the subject.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

very high speed stepping motors , harmonic gear boxes and their associated drive and control electronics, and large axial flow, dual stage cooling fans.
So... industrial-sized fans and their associated electric motors & controls. OK. Would have been simpler to say that the first time. "Digitally Controlled Motion Systems" sounds fancy but conveys no actual information.

BTW, did you get my helpful tip in post #77? Just lookin' out for ya.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

That was a fun weekend. Heck we are racing buddies from many years ago.

That was a fun weekend. I hadnt been racing long, and you can see, that was my street car. I had a blast , even with all the extra weight POC had to saddle me up with. I get no credit?? I had my weight set bolted in the passenger compartment. I remember Dino doing the dive bomb move off the last straight in the race and I got a little too excited of the exit of the "hill". I did climb back to 4th. must have been right behind you.

good times. Like the video???
Credit where credit is due: You finished 4th out of 4

Dino was a demon on the brakes...he was still on the gas when we were already shutting down for the corner....
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, I did. Thanks.

So... industrial-sized fans and their associated electric motors & controls. OK. Would have been simpler to say that the first time. "Digitally Controlled Motion Systems" sounds fancy but conveys no actual information.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

That was epic. Driving on public roads at 130 mph? Truly idiotic.....but unsurprising.

Quick Reply: Splitter design function and effects. Experience, Design knowledge?