Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Stock Brake Issues & Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a couple of spacers made , which really are just thick washers under 1/2" thick made from aluminum. There is only a small contact area anyway, so its not like you need a bar or plate for this kind of spacing. What you do need is the longer caliper bolts and they are avaible by just asking your dealer for the 928 GTS caliper bolts (about .5" longer)

I was offering a kit, but noone took me up on it. (we needed to make 10 sets to make it worth the while of the machine shop)

The only other thing you need to do, is hog out a little of the material on the edges of the calipers, to handle the increased radius. about 1-2mm of material removed from about 1"from the end off the edges of the caliper.

mk

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Mark,

What do you use for offsetting the calibers when using larger diameter rotors? Had someone made spacers or?
(I've been toying with the idea myself).
Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Mark.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All,

I wanted to report back so you and others know the results.

Well, with the switch to Pagid Yellows (RS29) the brake fade I experienced with the PFC97s did not come back. I was very happy with the feel of the Yellows. In general the bite wasn't as strong as the 97s, but I was able to modultate my braking very easily and smoothly and the brake release was very smooth. After getting used to them I got my brake points back to where they were with the 97s and felt very comfortable with them.

I would recommend the Pagid Yellow (RS29) to anyone theat is having brake fade issues as a first step to handling the heat.

-Skip
Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

One thing that was touched upon earlier in this thread, is the condition of the piston seals in the calipers.

rebuilding calipers often isnt so much for leak prevention, rather to ensure the pistons exhibit efficient release qualities. Dragging pads will add additional and unwanted heat.

Left foot brakers sometimes will also drag the brakes without knowing only to have data show it being the case.

Quick Reply: 964 Stock Brake Issues & Thoughts