How to Reseal a 3 Piece Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to Reseal a 3 Piece Wheel?

Guys,

I have two 3 Piece wheels that are leaking after a remount.

Can anyone provide me a basic step by step.

The manufactuer tells me I can reuse the hardware, so disassemble, clean and the main question is do you just reseal with silicone after assembly or do you put the silicone on the mating surfaces or both? What would be the best silicone to use.

Are there any tricks to mounting and unmounting the tire that will prevent this in the future.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put silicone on the mating surfaces and I clean very very well. This honestly is why I dont like 3 piece wheels for street cars. Its great to beable to change different rim sizes while keeping the centers, but truthfully unless your doing that I prefer a 1 piece wheel.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the ccw website there are some good download videos which show you the process

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

you have to determine where the leaking is coming from . Unless it wasnt assembled correctly, its unlikely that the leak is coming from the silicon bead seaing up the 3 pieces. see if its coming from the tire bead. what kind of tires? If you do need to completely disassemble, you do want to use new bolts and nuts, but I dont think it is that critical, but Ive been known to cut corners. check their torque as well. I think its 12oz/in, but dont quote me on that. (at least on kinesis 3 piece)
you can always make another bead of silicon over the gap and that might be enough , if you can see that it is looking old or wasnt done correctly the first time. my bet its just the tire or the bead area on the tire and rim surface.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

The video Links was PERFECT !!!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I am headed to Mid Ohio next weekend and found a pair of wheels that were leaking after the remount and fresh Kuhmo's.

Thanks very much.

Ken

Quick Reply: How to Reseal a 3 Piece Wheel?