Sponsored by:

To Spec or not to Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
I just wanna make a correction. My dad used to race Spec Racer (before they changed to Ford engines) and then a Formula 440. Had the right words in the wrong order!
Ah, when the original cars were Sports Renaults. Originally on plain ol' Goodyear Eagle GT's when they first came out in '84. I know Dorsey Schroeder went onto big stuff after winning the first (?) national championship in one, but I could NOT get into driving the one my friend's dad had. Blech. Then again I had dreams of going to an older, non-ground effects Formula Atlantic. (And ended up with an ITB Scirocco and SSB RX-7.)

But back to my recommendation, I'd shoot for at least some seat time in the Formula Fords or Mazdas. You WILL learn to drive. I had so much fun with the Radical last Friday at a private track day. The Spec Miata and C4S were so ho hum in comparison.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
But back to my recommendation, I'd shoot for at least some seat time in the Formula Fords or Mazdas. You WILL learn to drive. I had so much fun with the Radical last Friday at a private track day. The Spec Miata and C4S were so ho hum in comparison.
I sure as hell wouldn't turn down a chance to drive a Formula Mazda. However trying to actually race in that series is way beyond what I could afford, or would care to do. Formula Ford is an option though.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Formula cars are great, but it depends on what you want out of racing. For me and 99% of the other 944 spec racers it is all about having fun on the weekends. Racing is a dirversing from normal day to day life. Budgets are always a concern so we are looking the most fun with the least cost. 944 spec does a nice job of providing that. The cars are solid cars and are fun to drive. In pack of other 944's their lack of hp is not a big deal. Their grip is good and being street car based means fit most any body type. Plus street car based racing tends to have more places to race or get on the track. SCCA autocross, SCCA racing, PCA, NASA and just about any Open track group will support a production based car. A 944 spec car built proper can run just about any place. The opprotunities to run formula style cars is much less.

Also form a parts perspective their are very few special "racing" parts on a 944. Forumla cars are mixed bag. Some parts are dead common Autozone/checker type and others are specialized. 944 parts are 944 parts and just about any Porsche shop that supports 944's will have the parts you need. Plus their is still a supply of parts cars out there and realy help keep costs down. I will also say that the 944 runners in Arizona are really good guys willing to help and support one another. We are sort of family that races hard on track and then shares beers after. I would not have stayed in this class as long as I have if I were not the best fun/value I could see around here.

As for starting in DE and taking it slow. That is great. We have most of our 944 drivers have done that. Most spend a 12-18 months in DE before they go racing. Some buy built cars and drive them. Other build their cars as they go along. There is no right or wrong way as each method has its advantages. Most of it is personallity based in terms of what you want to get out coming out to the track.

Now one thing to consider is that being in El Paso leaves you track no-mans land. San Antiono is 6 hrs east and Phoenix is 6 hrs west. Arroyo Secco is not farn in Demming, but we don't race there since the track is just not ideal for racing. There is a new track openning in Wilcox Az which is between Tucson and NM border, but I can't say NASA will race there. Or regional director is in talks with the track, but who knows.

One thing I can say is that towing 6 hrs to the track (or driving) takes alot more time and money than tracks 1 hour or less. So if you stay in El Paso you will have a harder time racing than if you were closer to major city with somewhat local tracks.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
One thing I can say is that towing 6 hrs to the track (or driving) takes alot more time and money than tracks 1 hour or less. So if you stay in El Paso you will have a harder time racing than if you were closer to major city with somewhat local tracks.
I'll actually be getting out the Army here in about one year (as soon as this deployment is over). Once that happens I'll be living in Virginia, or possibly Indiana. So the track selection will be a little bit better for me.

However I want to come drive Phoenix and Firestone at least once! I always meant to do it, but not having a suitable car and the Army always managed to stop me.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me you should focus on getting out of the army and getting settled. Once you do that you can figure if have track events close to you and what is the best way to have the most fun. Not sure what is driving the Indiana or Virgina thing, but since racing and track days are for the fun of it I would just get settled a bit first then see what works.

As for Phoenix... We have a event in September, but that conflicts with national so most racers will be in Utah. Then we are out in Oct 4-5 and once more over Thanksgiving weekend. Past that it is Jan, Feb and no dates have been set.

Quick Reply: To Spec or not to Spec