Sponsored by:

the corvettes looked pretty tough at Mid Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The Corvette team is a factory team, on their home turf, as opposed to US based teams being supported by foreign manufacturers. In that aspect everyone else is at a disadvantage. But pretty good point about the design. Wait till the Corvette's win a race, then the whole mid engine "race the cayman" extravaganza will start again.
Guess those Corvette drivers aren't too old huh? Still want to pull out some GT1 to GT2 time comparisons to prove that the Corvette guys are all washed up and unable to compete with the "young" talent in GT2?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr

BMW does look good as well.
Getting stronger with every race. GT class shaping up nicely!!

Peugeot coming to Petit with 2 cars announced today also.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I also was impressed with the GT2 corvettes.....I thought losing 120hp and gaining 200lbs would seriously hurt the Vettes (470-2740lbs vs the GT1 590-2540lbs) but they appeared strong....and the 911's gained 20 kilos too. but still won.....I have to cheer for the M3......since I'm biased..

Next year is gonna be interesting...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Road America will be very interesting.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As mentioned in the mid-ohio thread, the vettes are allowed this year to race a 6.0 litre engine as they are not in the hunt for a championship. They will have to use a 5.5 litre next year. Until next year I can't take their care seriously. No doubt the are a good team and will be competitive next year, but this year is a bit misleading. The funny thing is the announcers had not clue. God they/NBC are horrible. Oh, and BTW, let's talk about beach volleyball and the hall of fame for 3 minutes while there is 25 minutes left in the race. Ugh.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by ECS
As mentioned in the mid-ohio thread, the vettes are allowed this year to race a 6.0 litre engine as they are not in the hunt for a championship. They will have to use a 5.5 litre next year. Until next year I can't take their care seriously. No doubt the are a good team and will be competitive next year, but this year is a bit misleading.
I doubt it matters. With plenty of development time, the 5.5 liter will likely make as good, if not better, power than the 6.0. Ultimately, they are limited by restrictor size anyway. The 6.0 was a concession to help them get the car running this season...I have a hard time finding that as a reason to not take them seriously. Porsche has asked for and received plenty of rules concessions in it's racing history as well.

If anything, ALMS is likely being stingy with their restrictor requirements since the Vette is running a larger motor than would normally be allowed. The 5.5 liter next season may very well be a better motor due to class specific development and less restrictions.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 AM
ECS
Pro

All very true. But....a new motor is a new motor non-the-less. I am always a skeptical until I see it. Not doubting they will be good but until they come up with a conforming engine I don't get very excited about their presence.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
The funny thing is the announcers had not clue. God they/NBC are horrible. Oh, and BTW, let's talk about beach volleyball and the hall of fame for 3 minutes while there is 25 minutes left in the race. Ugh.
+1. Coverage was horrible. Not enough GT2 coverage. They were showing P1 just to show P1 and every time they cut back to GT2 the running order was completely different and you were lucky to get a replay of a pass. The M3 hunting down the Ferrari was a good example.

Hell they didn't even show the GT2 guys taking the checkered flag. They went straight to commercial after the P1 leader crossed the line.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

The worst part about it is that ALMS PAYS to be on NBC...

Now they do have an agreement regarding advertising income, but if I'm laying out big bucks to have my event on broadcast TV, I'm going to demand that they put a competent announcer duo in the booth.

BTW: The new ALMS radio guy sucks donkey ***** too.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
The worst part about it is that ALMS PAYS to be on NBC...

Now they do have an agreement regarding advertising income, but if I'm laying out big bucks to have my event on broadcast TV, I'm going to demand that they put a competent announcer duo in the booth.

BTW: The new ALMS radio guy sucks donkey ***** too.

Yeah, well, World Challenge pays to be on SPEED TV, too, IIRC....and we have seen how well that is working out.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
ECS
Pro

I am going to email ALMS and tell them that they are actually hurting their cause. Even I, who look forward to all these races with huge passion, am almost at the point where I don't even want to watch.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
I am going to email ALMS and tell them that they are actually hurting their cause. Even I, who look forward to all these races with huge passion, am almost at the point where I don't even want to watch.
Amen brother. It was awful coverage.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Guess those Corvette drivers aren't too old huh? Still want to pull out some GT1 to GT2 time comparisons to prove that the Corvette guys are all washed up and unable to compete with the "young" talent in GT2?
Well considering they are the only full factory team, would you consider that as an even keel? Lou G says Corvette Racing has spent as much in the 6 months as he has in the last 10 years. I expected them to beat the BMW's who are on the slower tires (Dunlops), the Ferrari is sill faster, and so is the Porsche, after that the field falls off. When they are clearly faster than either the Lizard or Risi car, then we can talk. Not there yet. And to win a championship they'll have to get there.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
Well considering they are the only full factory team, would you consider that as an even keel? Lou G says Corvette Racing has spent as much in the 6 months as he has in the last 10 years. I expected them to beat the BMW's who are on the slower tires (Dunlops), the Ferrari is sill faster, and so is the Porsche, after that the field falls off. When they are clearly faster than either the Lizard or Risi car, then we can talk. Not there yet. And to win a championship they'll have to get there.

That's a really round about way of admitting that you were wrong and that the Corvette drivers are not too old and washed up to compete. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

not to mention they put the ALMS race on against the Indy race who was at the same track, may be the ALMS should go to Versus, they have good coverage of the indy cars

Quick Reply: the corvettes looked pretty tough at Mid Ohio