Sponsored by:

Roll Bar Builder Certification

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your pains. Sucks to be duped by a fellow Porsche owner

Post the PO name and the shop that did the cage. Nobody wants to get burned by a shyster.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket

Post the PO name and the shop that did the cage. Nobody wants to get burned by a shyster.
+1. I was gonna suggest the same thing, but didn't want to hurt her legal case.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like fraud and misrepresentation all the way. I hope you hang this person. There is usually a lot more honor within racing but there are always one or two like them.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caveat Emptor...

Which includes by default, Don't Trust Anyone.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO, irrespective of the legal angle, pay Todd to build a proper cage.
^ +10000

Todd does a great job. He re-did my cage and it's as good as they come.

BTW, when is your rookie race?

TBP
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

does road racing have a certification test, i know when i drag raced they did a sonic test on the cage and it expired every couple of years.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I cannot fathom why a full welded cage would shake....unless it truly included no effective lateral bracing. Which would be bad.

IMO, irrespective of the legal angle, pay Todd to build a proper cage. Sorry you are getting hosed with this car.
It's already with Todd. Thanks!

Originally Posted by A930Rocket

I'm not posting names & never will and here's why - first, if you buy smart & on your guard, you won't be duped by this guy or anyone else. Sadly, in the future, I will assume that sellers are not telling the whole truth.
Also, I will NEVER make a significant purchase of any kind sight unseen. If I'm buying a race car, it will be checked over by an expert first. When I bought the Spec Boxster, I spent a lot of time on the phone with the guy that had it built & club raced it. I also spent some time talking to his mechanic that built & maintained the car. I asked many questions - the history of the car from when it was new, through the build, and all the way up to it's current condition. Never once was any negative things mentioned concerning the car. That should have been a red flag. Another thing always be aware of.

This is going to sound strange, but the fella seemed like a great guy. Obviously, I got a good comfort level from this. Other good things: people that knew him, said he was a good guy. Maybe he made a huge mistake with me and won't do it again. I'll never know because after I got the car and contacted him with the long list of problems, he cut off all communication and refuses to speak with me.

I was pretty devastated and pretty much didn't want to race anymore. Some good friends have really been there to help pick my spirits up and provided help with the car itself. One in particular, Rad, has gone way above & beyond. Rad is an upstanding, great guy. Also, my boyfriend Jeff, has helped me through this and every other thing that happens good or bad.

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
^ +10000

Todd does a great job. He re-did my cage and it's as good as they come.

BTW, when is your rookie race?

TBP
Hey there! I agree, Todd with Topp Racing is the BEST! Topp is Tops! My rookie race will be at Hallett. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by ajcjr
does road racing have a certification test, i know when i drag raced they did a sonic test on the cage and it expired every couple of years.
Not that I know of. But if I have anything to do with it, it will!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, this sucks. I am so sorry to hear this story. What a mess.

Don't lose the faith. Let us know how we can help in any way.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blondurant
I spent a lot of time on the phone with the guy that had it built & club raced it. I also spent some time talking to his mechanic that built & maintained the car. I asked many questions - the history of the car from when it was new, through the build, and all the way up to it's current condition. Never once was any negative things mentioned concerning the car.
Hey;

The problem here is that being a nice guy and/or being the guy who built and maintained the car has nothing to do with whether either of these people know Jack Squat! Believe me, I've been asked to get in the middle of such situations before, and I've seen it. The previous owner could be an utter dupe in this process, now joined by yourself. The shop owner could be a know-nothing hack, utterly ignorrant of what he was doing. Or... they either or both could be evil underhanded scoundrels.

This was indeed a tough lesson. I'm truly sorry for you... to a point. My first response may have sounded a bit flippant, but it is nonetheless accurate. I bet you'll be one tough cookie next time.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Link to good cage discussion

More thoughts on the subject:

http://www.boxsterspec.com/spec-boxs...tml#entry21814

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Builder Certification