Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two North America F1 Races?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Finn, frankly, I do not see a US race anytime soon. Few if any US promoters are willing to pay Bernie's $30,000,000+++ sanctioning fee when they douubt they will make enough revenue to even pay for it. F1 interest in the US is...tepid. I just don't see the business model for success here, sadly.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I would love to see them at the Glen again, I too do not see it happening. The track would require too much re-work to suit F1 safety regs, and I think that they again have become profitable enough to not need to host such a race. Finally, I don't know where the good passing zones would be with the current cars. Maybe turn 1 and turn 8? Too easy to block going into the bus stop. I'm not certain if there would be any other places. Still it would be cool to see them there again. My SWAG at lap times would be in the low 1:20s
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Road America. Chicago is a short helicopter ride away.

Miller Motorsports Park. (Ugh)
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
As much as I would love to see them at the Glen again, I too do not see it happening. The track would require too much re-work to suit F1 safety regs, and I think that they again have become profitable enough to not need to host such a race. Finally, I don't know where the good passing zones would be with the current cars. Maybe turn 1 and turn 8? Too easy to block going into the bus stop. I'm not certain if there would be any other places. Still it would be cool to see them there again. My SWAG at lap times would be in the low 1:20s
Not only the track larry , there is not enufff facilities in and around the glen to satisfy F1 ...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough 4 star hookahs and blow around Watkins Glen for Bernie and Max?

Wonder if VJ Malliyah and Flavor Flav can get their yachts into the Finger Lakes.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Not enough 4 star hookahs and blow around Watkins Glen for Bernie and Max?

Wonder if VJ Malliyah and Flavor Flav can get their yachts into the Finger Lakes.
LMAO....

Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Few if any US promoters are willing to pay Bernie's $30,000,000+++ sanctioning fee when they douubt they will make enough revenue to even pay for it.
I get the feeling that FOTA was able to get some influence in the new Concorde agreement over locations, and absurd fees might be lessened to get some locations back, like Canada and U.S.

I can't see any U.S. street race location lasting because, except for Long Breach which is taken, none has. I can't think of any track near a really big city, as F1 would likely want, working. With F1 being the circus that it is, nobody in their right mind is going to spend the money to build one.

So, I predict, more talk about a U.S. race. Probably a street race in the NY area or Vegas for a couple of years, then it will be gone again.

Two races? Not a chance.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bernie could always stay in one of the cabins at the Seneca Lodge!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Bernie could always stay in one of the cabins at the Seneca Lodge!
His tiny *** would fit, that's for sure.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Homestead Miami???!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Homestead Miami???!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Finn, frankly, I do not see a US race anytime soon. Few if any US promoters are willing to pay Bernie's $30,000,000+++ sanctioning fee when they douubt they will make enough revenue to even pay for it. F1 interest in the US is...tepid. I just don't see the business model for success here, sadly.

I agree for US not having a race (at least in next couple of years) and that's a shame but I think if there would be a great street track for example here, like the old Grand Prix of Miami was on 80's, it could succeed.

For example NYC, Miami, LA are all good candidates and if the city where the race was held, was behind it by creating a good track (obviously there needs to be a lot of work), it would work.

These places need to realize you get a ton of global advertisement to 150 Countries to hundreds of millions of people which is something you can't otherwise do. Those millions of people seeing the cool aerial shots will bring in tourists which brings in money but since that's is not direct income, it's hard to sell/justify.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Homestead Miami???!!!!
Too far away and you'd have to build a track, the track that's there now isn't good enough. If here in South Florida, downtown Miami but NYC or Vegas are the likely candidates and out of those two, I'm rooting for NYC.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
These places need to realize you get a ton of global advertisement to 150 Countries to hundreds of millions of people which is something you can't otherwise do. Those millions of people seeing the cool aerial shots will bring in tourists which brings in money but since that's is not direct income, it's hard to sell/justify.
...... I'm rooting for NYC.
Smoking droga.... imho.. NYC and LA need advertizing????

Actually maybe after China or India takes the world over and the US becomes a 3rd world country...

Need cities with a chip on shoulder and millions and millions of residents... like Chicago for instance.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Smoking droga.... imho.. NYC and LA need advertizing???? ...
You got a point there, but do you think Monaco needs advertisement...? They are the last place that need ad but still it's a big thing for the city. Something that LA, NYC or any city could use.

Originally Posted by FredC
...Need cities with a chip on shoulder and millions and millions of residents... like Chicago for instance.
Won't happen, I almost thought you'd suggest Detroit...

Chicago is cool but the place for a GP in US needs to be a place that looks & is more cool, will provide a beautiful backdrop & locations for tourists and also for the GP people to go & stay. Imagine Formula 1 cars driving on the Hudson riverfront or Downtown Miami with all the Skyscrapers in the background... Yachts floating around...
That's what Bernie wants.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Homestead Miami???!!!!
No , too isolated ....

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
You got a point there, but do you think Monaco needs advertisement...? They are the last place that need ad but still it's a big thing for the city. Something that LA, NYC or any city could use.

Won't happen, I almost thought you'd suggest Detroit...

Chicago is cool but the place for a GP in US needs to be a place that looks & is more cool, will provide a beautiful backdrop & locations for tourists and also for the GP people to go & stay. Imagine Formula 1 cars driving on the Hudson riverfront or Downtown Miami with all the Skyscrapers in the background... Yachts floating around...
That's what Bernie wants.

The promotional activity and exposure from F1 would work for Miami, LA and NY ..NY is 2 close to Canada who will also have a GP ..

My call would be Miami or LA ... We have too much problems coming out of Chicago as the moment ... well unless the gov.. well ,,ahh just saying ...

Quick Reply: Two North America F1 Races?