Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Plains Raceway Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a great track and a great weekend. Good layout with interesting blind corners and elevation changes. I had a great time. Not easy to learn in one or two sessions, and I used 2,3,4and 5th gear (briefly before the end of the back straight).
-Keith
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

You guys sure are running competitive and deep D and E fields. That's cool. We'll need to visit one of your events.

Originally Posted by MikeQuig
Fred,

Bill Petty's E class 911 was not quite back from the paint shop after his off at the Glen. So he dug his 3.4 liter 914 out of the garage and ran it in the fast group in GT3S. He did well and his speed and tenacity showed that he was suffering no after-effects from the "moment" he had in NY. We missed him in our race group and not to take anything away from Bill, but the lap times that Jim Buckley was running set the bar really high! Mike Martin wasn't quite ready with his car either but I don't know if he would have had anything for Jim. Wurmbrand broke before he could race. That's three cars that would have made for a an even fiercer battle in E. I had my hands full as it was but they sure would have added to the fun.

Mike Quigley
Deep in 16" stuff
Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred,

You and the other east coasters should load up a 10-car hauler like we did for the WG event and head out west. Combine our race with a nice mountain vacation to Aspen or Crested Butte, then head over to Miller Motorsports Park a few weeks and a few hours down the road later for their race. If we knew you were coming we could pry a few more Texans out of their state and maybe, just maybe So-cal. We could make it an "East meets West on neutral turf" kind of event on a track that has gotten rave reviews in it's first year.

Mike Q
Saving my tranny by running 16"
Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
ccamut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see everyone at the track this weekend. Great racing. Do any of you have pictures or video you can share. I had so much fun i want to relive as much as possible. Especially the time i passed quigs
Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
Also, Buckley and Henderson are running very very well prepared cars with some fancy headers that supposedly help the car dyno at over 210hp AT THE WHEELS!

I'm guessing that Hupfer has a similarly prepped car and he can simply drive by my very good F car on a relatively short straight. I'm biased, as I'd like to see more competition in F, but I think the so-called Euro SC's (with larger US intakes and Euro higher compression pistons making over 210hp at the wheels) should be re-classified to F leaving 951's, 944S2's and US 3.2 911's in E. Adding US 3.0l SC's to that class would make a good race and good sized class, I think.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made the weekend a success. We had good support from NE and KS folks too!
I see your point about the 210rwhp cars but not everyone is in that category. I get pulled on the straights by the 968s, 944 Turbos, 3.2s, and even some D cars. Hupfer's car does not have that kind of power. He's just plain fast.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Hupfer's car does not have that kind of power. He's just plain fast.
His car is fast as well, not to take anything away from the guy (I believe he is the best in the business).
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Uh.... I have video proving otherwise about Hupfer's car. He most definitely has that type of power. He is a very good driver, but hardly god-like as some people think. I beleive that Buckley is better driver and a much cleaner racer. Doug Crossman is another really good driver in the class that has recently been able to run with Hupfer.

Sure, not everyone is in the category of 210hp SC's, but the classes need to be made up to account for the best prepared of each type of car not the average.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Uh.... I have video proving otherwise about Hupfer's car. He most definitely has that type of power. He is a very good driver, but hardly god-like as some people think. I beleive that Buckley is better driver and a much cleaner racer. Doug Crossman is another really good driver in the class that has recently been able to run with Hupfer.

Sure, not everyone is in the category of 210hp SC's, but the classes need to be made up to account for the best prepared of each type of car not the average.
I watched that race from the bleachers, and have watched the video many times. It is some great nose to tail racing. Despite what hp he may or may not have, you can't go through the turns that fast on those tiny tires without being a great driver.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM
FredC
Drifting

so-called Euro SC's (with larger US intakes and Euro higher compression pistons making over 210hp at the wheels)
Can a 81-83 Euro SC run with US intakes and still be considered E-stock? A friend of mine in making the conversion and would like to inform him.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Can a 81-83 Euro SC run with US intakes and still be considered E-stock? A friend of mine in making the conversion and would like to inform him.
A US intake on the Euro SC? I'm so far behind. Someone explain please.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
A US intake on the Euro SC? I'm so far behind. Someone explain please.
Fred C and Chris M

There has always been some confusion about the 81-83 ROW SC engine components.
There are a few published sources that have the wrong info on this engine.
Ex: The Porsche 911 Performance Handbook by Bruce Anderson

The Row SC engine have--
9.8/ comp pistons
Big port heads-same as 78-79 USA SC
39mm/35mm
Big port 4R intake runners
Euro fuel distributor part number ends with 097
245 mm fan housing
The Porsche PET has the correct part numbers.

Here are a couple of threads from Pelican that has some good info.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=euro+heads

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rge+port+heads

Quick Reply: High Plains Raceway Club Race