Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Plains Raceway Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They told us 7ish Keith but we can't stay in the motorhome at the track thrus night so we have to camp outside and go in friday morning
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Jess
Mike, thanks for the update as well as your help with my car, Friday.

Looks like I'll be ready after all!

Only thing I'm lacking is numbers and directions to the track that most of you have hundreds of laps on

BTW, who is this Buckley guy you're all worried about and why does everyone think that Coombs character is not an issue?

Jesse
(also not running 15s)
Great news...this is shaping up to be one heluva weekend. I should have my numbers on the car tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather is shaping up too. 80's on Sat. and 70's on Sun.

The slow group is looking good with 12 E cars, 8 D cars, and a few Spec Boxsters thrown in for good measure!

Mike Q
One of the 12 E's
Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

So how did things shake out in D and E?

What wheel/tire/overall diamter prevailed???
Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Basically in E it was all Jim Buckley in his 15"-shod 911. Gave the old qualified on pole (by 2+ secs over Coomes 944 S2), won from the pole and set fastest race lap - in all three races. Wurmbrand and Quigley in row 2 on classic 16" wheels were another half-second back. Henderson rounded out the top five on 17's! with basically the same time. Buckley killed us on every start before checking out for good.

In D it was the Chris Camut show. He qualified 7th on his 15's and was in front of half a dozen E cars. He easily won over his class rivals and stayed in contact with the back of the front of the field very well by finishing 5th overall in both sprints.

Others on 15's - Bob Polich in E was running 4th in sprint 1 but failed to put 15 laps worth of fuel in his 911. He had qualified 5th and took 4th in sprint 2.

Others on 15's: Dave Speights (E), Phil LaHaye (E), and Martin Smith (D) were top ten in qualifying.

I see this tire diameter easily coming out in favor of the 15" wheels. As Glen Gatlin said in a different thread, "Lower CG, more contact patch, lower gearing, It's a no-brainer". PROVIDED that Hoosier continues to make the sizes for an admittedly small group of racers.

It was a great weekend - only 2 minor 13's - great weather- great racing. Thanks to all the racers from the surrounding regions for making it a well-attended Club Race, especially Texas and Utah!

Mike Quigley
Maybe soon on 15's
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Times up on mylaps now too...

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=460647

I was pretty much battling with the mid-pack D cars with my E car. Clearly there's some car and driver tuning to do on my part. It was interesting to watch the 15" wheel'd cars rip through the gears on the main straight (3rd, 4th, and into 5th) as I did long pulls through 3rd and most of 4th gear with my 17s.

I'll have to dig through my video to see if I have any of Buckley or another car with 15s pulling away from me so you can see the difference. I'm not sure, though, that my motor is making all the power it should as I couldn't outrun the D cars on the straight. So the comparison isn't necessarily apples. (following another E car into 3 and seeing him tap the brakes, then seeing him walk away from me on the straight and passing the car I had been chasing - not sure what else to make of that).

Had a great rookie weekend.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinkert
Times up on mylaps now too...

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=460647

I was pretty much battling with the mid-pack D cars with my E car. Clearly there's some car and driver tuning to do on my part. It was interesting to watch the 15" wheel'd cars rip through the gears on the main straight (3rd, 4th, and into 5th) as I did long pulls through 3rd and most of 4th gear with my 17s.

I'll have to dig through my video to see if I have any of Buckley or another car with 15s pulling away from me so you can see the difference. I'm not sure, though, that my motor is making all the power it should as I couldn't outrun the D cars on the straight. So the comparison isn't necessarily apples. (following another E car into 3 and seeing him tap the brakes, then seeing him walk away from me on the straight and passing the car I had been chasing - not sure what else to make of that).

Had a great rookie weekend.
cough coaching cough ?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was pretty much battling with the mid-pack D cars with my E car. Clearly there's some car and driver tuning to do on my part.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
cough coaching cough ?

Missed anything in my post or is business slow right now?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Missed anything in my post or is business slow right now?
No.

And no.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the good info.

Mark

Originally Posted by MikeQuig
Basically in E it was all Jim Buckley in his 15"-shod 911. Gave the old qualified on pole (by 2+ secs over Coomes 944 S2), won from the pole and set fastest race lap - in all three races. Wurmbrand and Quigley in row 2 on classic 16" wheels were another half-second back. Henderson rounded out the top five on 17's! with basically the same time. Buckley killed us on every start before checking out for good.

In D it was the Chris Camut show. He qualified 7th on his 15's and was in front of half a dozen E cars. He easily won over his class rivals and stayed in contact with the back of the front of the field very well by finishing 5th overall in both sprints.

Others on 15's - Bob Polich in E was running 4th in sprint 1 but failed to put 15 laps worth of fuel in his 911. He had qualified 5th and took 4th in sprint 2.

Others on 15's: Dave Speights (E), Phil LaHaye (E), and Martin Smith (D) were top ten in qualifying.

I see this tire diameter easily coming out in favor of the 15" wheels. As Glen Gatlin said in a different thread, "Lower CG, more contact patch, lower gearing, It's a no-brainer". PROVIDED that Hoosier continues to make the sizes for an admittedly small group of racers.

It was a great weekend - only 2 minor 13's - great weather- great racing. Thanks to all the racers from the surrounding regions for making it a well-attended Club Race, especially Texas and Utah!

Mike Quigley
Maybe soon on 15's
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You had a great rookie weekend Josh. No question about that!

I did notice that your car seems to sit just a bit higher and has a bit more rake than most of the fast SC's. Also, Buckley and Henderson are running very very well prepared cars with some fancy headers that supposedly help the car dyno at over 210hp AT THE WHEELS!

I'm guessing that Hupfer has a similarly prepped car and he can simply drive by my very good F car on a relatively short straight. I'm biased, as I'd like to see more competition in F, but I think the so-called Euro SC's (with larger US intakes and Euro higher compression pistons making over 210hp at the wheels) should be re-classified to F leaving 951's, 944S2's and US 3.2 911's in E. Adding US 3.0l SC's to that class would make a good race and good sized class, I think.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made the weekend a success. We had good support from NE and KS folks too!

Joe
Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeQuig

Mike Quigley
Maybe soon on 15's
A "minor 13" is like minor surgery. It's minor when it's someone else getting it. It's major when it's yours.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Mike,

I hear what you're saying about the 13 being minor when it's someone else's. I guess it was easy to minimize because it wasn't mine, but the resulting car damage was minor and it didn't result in anyone being suspended for a second 13 while already on probation.

Mike Quigley
Have 17" wheels for sale - so I can buy 15's
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

what happened with Bill Petty?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Fred,

Bill Petty's E class 911 was not quite back from the paint shop after his off at the Glen. So he dug his 3.4 liter 914 out of the garage and ran it in the fast group in GT3S. He did well and his speed and tenacity showed that he was suffering no after-effects from the "moment" he had in NY. We missed him in our race group and not to take anything away from Bill, but the lap times that Jim Buckley was running set the bar really high! Mike Martin wasn't quite ready with his car either but I don't know if he would have had anything for Jim. Wurmbrand broke before he could race. That's three cars that would have made for a an even fiercer battle in E. I had my hands full as it was but they sure would have added to the fun.

Mike Quigley
Deep in 16" stuff

Quick Reply: High Plains Raceway Club Race