Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I meant the F1 shots
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Yes, I raced Motocross for five years, and that was before there was long travel suspension. No question, it was the most physically demanding sport I've done, and I'm now a long distance cyclist. My body was rock hard and muscular at the time. Certainly the most physical of motorsports. But, that doesn't necessarily apply to stupidity like "freestyle MX". I'm talking Motocross racing. Snowmobiles are also demanding.
But, I wasn't bashing NASCAR, I was just pointing out that these shots don't necessarily represent elite athletes.
Cool, I used to race dirt bikes too. Not as long time ago as you though.

FYI, Kimi doesn't do "Freestyle MX" but enduro and real motocross. He's held a lap record in dirt track in Estonia (where he rides pretty much every time when in Finland) and has been the fastest on snowmobile race in Lapland past two years so he certainly doesn't do it only for the show.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I believe Jarno Trulli also runs the NY Marathon when his schedule permits.

In 5-10 years, ALL Nascar drivers will be where the F1 drivers level of fitness is right now. Although there are fit drivers in Nascar (one that wasn't mentioned was Carl Edwards), the fat guys are really dinosaurs right now. Can they drive, yes, but the fitness or lack thereof will catch up to them. THere is unrealized potential in the overweight, unfit drivers. When that is realized, everyone will get their drivers to back away from the table and become better in terms of fitness level. There is simply too much money in Nascar to not be in top shape. Mark Martin at 50 is a prime example. He took care of himself and given a competitive car, can still compete with the younger guys.

Those of you that think that you need an extra 50 pounds to be stronger and use the NFL as an example take a look at Navy Seals or other special forces. Those guys are as strong as they come and are wirey.

Let's be honest, the Nascar guys can sustain 4 hours of high heat levels, but they're really not pushing it until what? the last 10-20 laps of a race? The F1 guys are in a car for 1 1/2 hours but are pushing it for the entire time. Each lap counts, and there is no BS debris yellows, etc. And you want to talk about heat? Malaysia, Bahrain, Dubai, Turkey. Open cockpit, no yellows, no cool suit to force air into the helmet. Come on.

Schumacher lost three kilograms
04 August 2009

Michael Schumacher is currently working hard to prepare himself for his comeback in Formula 1. The Ferrari Formula One driver will join Kimi Raikkonen at the European Grand Prix later this month. While preparing for his comeback Schumacher already lost three kilograms he said.

Speaking about his preparations he's going through Michael Schumacher said: "I'm currently in the midst of my preparations for the upcoming race. I already lost three kilograms even if it is also important to me to build up muscles. So all in all, the practice works pretty well. I only have to admit that my neck pinches a bit. We have to get a grip on that as health has priority - that's the clear arrangement made with Ferrari and, by the way, with my wife, too.

"It's on! I accepted the challenge. And as you all know, I really love challenges. It seems as if my fans would love them, too."
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Been quoted for truth already but deserves it again.

NASCAR bashing just shows complete lack of understanding by the poster of what it takes.

Carl's a total slob.

that's actually the picture I was considering looking up, but realized that it would be pretty homo to do so.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
yeah Mark Martin has one of the best training regiments out there... he is 50 and he could still probably do half the stuff the F1 guys do. How many of them have ever written a book about it? Mark Martin wrote "Strength Training for Performance Driving" back in the 90s. He read Arnold Schwarzeneggar's book at a young age and has been extremely fit his entire life.
Interesting, never come across this book. Double interesting because I have seen him at my gym a couple of times (I think he's just slumming) and he was in good shape & working hard.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
As this has a bearing on driving ability how? Tony, JPM and the crew seem to be doing just fine at the end of 4 hour races, at which point the F1 guys have had time to finish their race, their post-race massage and cleansing skin treatments.
It's pretty obvious why Tony and JP have carry those coveted pounds. First all that extra heft makes it easier to balance the car (they do sit on the left side ya know) and the additional body mass makes them less susceptible to dehydration during those really hot races. Geez, do I hafta explain everything to you guys?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

Those of you that think that you need an extra 50 pounds to be stronger and use the NFL as an example take a look at Navy Seals or other special forces. Those guys are as strong as they come and are wirey.
Of the onees I've known, some are wiry, some are pretty damn burly too. The burly ones would have serious issues getting into a formula car.

Let's be honest, the Nascar guys can sustain 4 hours of high heat levels, but they're really not pushing it until what? the last 10-20 laps of a race? The F1 guys are in a car for 1 1/2 hours but are pushing it for the entire time. Each lap counts, and there is no BS debris yellows, etc. And you want to talk about heat? Malaysia, Bahrain, Dubai, Turkey. Open cockpit, no yellows, no cool suit to force air into the helmet. Come on.
A couple of things. Have you ever driven a Late Model, let alone a NASCAR? At any track they are a handful to drive. Floating all over the place, tail coming around at the exit of a turn at 150+, etc. The amount of concentration takes a physical toll as well. The guys are fit. Triathalon fit maybe not but the level of work it takes in the oven those cars become is extremely high.

As for comparing the heat of being in an open wheel car vs. closed top. Not even close. I'd take 105 degrees and sunny in my open wheel car way before 80 and sunny in a closed top.

Schumacher lost three kilograms
04 August 2009

Michael Schumacher is currently working hard to prepare himself for his comeback in Formula 1. The Ferrari Formula One driver will join Kimi Raikkonen at the European Grand Prix later this month. While preparing for his comeback Schumacher already lost three kilograms he said.

Speaking about his preparations he's going through Michael Schumacher said: "I'm currently in the midst of my preparations for the upcoming race. I already lost three kilograms even if it is also important to me to build up muscles. So all in all, the practice works pretty well. I only have to admit that my neck pinches a bit. We have to get a grip on that as health has priority - that's the clear arrangement made with Ferrari and, by the way, with my wife, too.

"It's on! I accepted the challenge. And as you all know, I really love challenges. It seems as if my fans would love them, too."m
As said before driver weight is at a premium in formula one and being able to place it where you want is a HUGE thing for them. Every bit helps and we all know that MS will do whatever he can to get any little advantage.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And driver fitness isn't everything. Scott Speed looks to be in pretty good shape and he's run in the back of both F1 & NASCAR...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

speaking of toys, seen Kimi's street bike?
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

this thread is a great inspiration. Anyone want to join me to lift beers tonight!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't particularly like "custom" bikes, but that one is really cool.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yes, that's a cool bike. He has another one similar, just more to his current employers style...

They're built by Marcus Walz of Hardcore Cycles, guy is a Porsche fan (has an 964 RS) and built a bike to "commemorate" RS.
Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
I would suggest trying to type your next post while sitting in a centrifuge....Sir Isaac Newton will be running your test.

Yes, 4 hours, 163 caution laps, left turns, 0.006 gear changes/lap, a total G loading of how much?....I can see where that would make an F1 driver beg to get out of the car....out of boredom perhaps.

I am willing to tolerate NA$CAR discussions to a point, but in terms of driver fitness?

.006 gear changes.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would suggest trying to type your next post while sitting in a centrifuge....Sir Isaac Newton will be running your test.

Yes, 4 hours, 163 caution laps, left turns, 0.006 gear changes/lap, a total G loading of how much?....I can see where that would make an F1 driver beg to get out of the car....out of boredom perhaps.

I am willing to tolerate NA$CAR discussions to a point, but in terms of driver fitness?

Lewis, with respect, I would put NASCAR driver fitness on a par with most other top tier athletes. Just because their body types do not fit into the anorexic ectomorph F1 mold does not mean they are any less fit.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Not to slam anyone, but Mark Weber is incredibly fit. He may have been in physical therapy in the photo, but consider that he injured himself in an off-season triathalon (of sorts...).

Also, most of the NASCAR guys run pretty elaborate cool suits and helmets in the cars. And they should. The COT is known to be very, very hot inside, even on the cooler days. Plus they are sitting in front of all the heat.

Like any sport, the top NASCAR guys are in great shape.

Quick Reply: Driver fitness!!