Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iphone lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Harry's GPS Laptimer with a Dell Axim PDA and a bluetooth GPS. it does the job fine for me and you cannot beat it for the money.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I agree it's odd that the lap timer feature isn't there. I wrote them an email about it but have not received a reply.
The way it draws the track is pretty slick so I'm hopeful that they'll send out a free update to fix this.
I suggested an update too. It doesn't seem like they're much on customer service.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
ex10psi
Racer

for those using the google android phone, another option that i found to be very reliable and extremely accurate (esp for the price!) is this little app: http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/web/trackmaster

i was skeptical but after trying it at the local tracks, it works flawlessly! great product, no affiliation, blah blah blah...
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry's Lap timer seemed to work ok today at NHMS. I got lap times for all of my laps in each session. I can view maps that show speeds on the straights and in the corners. I haven't been able to export the data yet - can't figure out where you are supposed to enter your email address (I keep getting an error saying the email address is not valid but I haven't entered one yet). For me, automated lap times is worth the $4.99, everything else is just a bonus.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
Harry's Lap timer seemed to work ok today at NHMS. I got lap times for all of my laps in each session. I can view maps that show speeds on the straights and in the corners. I haven't been able to export the data yet - can't figure out where you are supposed to enter your email address (I keep getting an error saying the email address is not valid but I haven't entered one yet). For me, automated lap times is worth the $4.99, everything else is just a bonus.
Hi Kevin,
Did you mount the iPhone on your dash or have it in your pocket?
dave
Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
kevin135
Racer

Dave,
I "mounted" it to the dash with two small pieces of velcro. I have a phone case that I never use so now it is my track case.
I tried to mount in on the transmission tunnel behind the shifter but the GPS receptions was not good enough to work. With it on the dash I just have to remember to hit start before I tighten my belts all the way.
Kevin
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Dave,
I "mounted" it to the dash with two small pieces of velcro. I have a phone case that I never use so now it is my track case.
I tried to mount in on the transmission tunnel behind the shifter but the GPS receptions was not good enough to work. With it on the dash I just have to remember to hit start before I tighten my belts all the way.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin...see you at the Glen or one of the upcoming NHMS PCA events.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Harrys app, i set the POI as a start/stop while i was standing right at the edge of the track at the start finish line but it recorded my entire 30min session as one lap.

Then i tried setting another POI as an intermediate as well but same deal, recorded entire session, no trigger events.

I have the iphone 3GS mounted on the passenger side front footwell with velcro and was getting 1Hz signal. Its a good spot because you can plug the phone in at the 12volt outlet in the footwell.

So do you think I needed to wait longer for the iphone to get the fix on my POI location when i set it?

How does the timer know which POI to use?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
kevin135
Racer

Originally Posted by machina
With Harrys app, i set the POI as a start/stop while i was standing right at the edge of the track at the start finish line but it recorded my entire 30min session as one lap.

Then i tried setting another POI as an intermediate as well but same deal, recorded entire session, no trigger events.

I have the iphone 3GS mounted on the passenger side front footwell with velcro and was getting 1Hz signal. Its a good spot because you can plug the phone in at the 12volt outlet in the footwell.

So do you think I needed to wait longer for the iphone to get the fix on my POI location when i set it?

How does the timer know which POI to use?
I am surprised you can get a good gps signal with your mounting location but if it works go with it. I set the Stop/Go POI the same way you did. Then you have to select that trigger for your session. I only selected it once so it must remember the last one you used.
Have you been able to export data? I can't figure out where to enter myemail address.
Kevin
Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed Harald and he got right back to me.

It seems that the default parameter for the POI detection is narrow and it should be wide, he is going to revise this. You can find this in the general settings menu for your iphone down at the bottom of the page. Look for POI detection under the GPS heading.

You also enter your email info there as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that the default parameter for the POI detection is narrow and it should be wide, he is going to revise this. You can find this in the general settings menu for your iphone down at the bottom of the page. Look for POI detection under the GPS heading.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully this will do the trick.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
kevin135
Racer

Thanks! That helped with the export. CHanged the POI detection as well.
Kevin
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Weston
Racer

Some updates... (cross-post)

Log Box released version 1.2, which fixes the problems I ran into earlier and works pretty good. It's a minimal app for a low cost, but you can now easily use it as the basis for video overlays with RaceRender 1.4.1 or newer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtoJiQ4-xg Log Box is now the best and lowest cost iPhone app that I know of for exporting GPS and accelerometer data, and that's all it really does.

Harry's GPS Lap Timer had some updates as well, and can now export entire sessions, sort of... The problem is that the sample rate and timestamps leave something to be desired, so it's still not great to use for exporting data. But aside from that limitation, it's a really nice app that does quite a lot within the iPhone app itself. If you don't care about exporting data to your computer for making video overlays or doing further analysis, then it may be the only app you need.

With any app, you'll need to work to find a good GPS reception spot inside a car. The best I've seen is 9 meters, but it typically fluxuates between 9 and 17 meters. If you don't try at all, you'll probably end up with something like 47-76 meter accuracy, which is what I had in the video I linked. The accuracy problem is more apparent when doing laps around the same course.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 568 Posts

Hi
Did you use only an iphone and no additional GPS device?

Thanks

Craig

Quick Reply: iphone lap timers