Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iphone lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nicely done Dave. Just curious, did that take the full hour and 11 minutes?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Almost
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I used "Trackday" at NHMS last weekend. The problem is that it needs about a minute sitting still to get the starting point which is needless to say impossible on the track. I got it to work once when I was at pit out first in line and hence close to the actual track. It recorded one lap which seemed right but then 1 17-minute lap (i.e. it wasn't working). I should point out that I am keeping the iPhone in my cargo pant pocket and NOT on the dash. Even on the dash however it takes about a minute to find the starting point.

I have used "g-tac pro" just driving around my neighborhood and it seems to very reliably find start/stop and draws an accurate representation of a make believe circuit in my town. The problem is that it does not seem to have an output for individual laps which is think is a major flaw. This program worked quite well in the confines of my cargo pant pocket but again w/o individual lap times available.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas

I have used "g-tac pro" just driving around my neighborhood and it seems to very reliably find start/stop and draws an accurate representation of a make believe circuit in my town. The problem is that it does not seem to have an output for individual laps which is think is a major flaw. This program worked quite well in the confines of my cargo pant pocket but again w/o individual lap times available.
I have g-tac pro on my iphone, and I failed to note that this lap-timer function was missing. It's kind of crazy/stupid because it uses GPS to scribe the "lap" graphically, and it shows your two-axis g-forces throughout. But there is no lap timer! And no way to record multiple laps! Silly since those features are EASY compared to the others. It also has the ability to test acceleration rates/times. It's not a cheap product, so I learned my lesson.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 3G and will be testing Harry's LapTimer app this Friday at NHMS. It looks like you can set the start finish before you go out on track save it to your favorites. Comes with many already programed in like WGI, Mosport and several European tracks.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
I have a 3G and will be testing Harry's LapTimer app this Friday at NHMS. It looks like you can set the start finish before you go out on track save it to your favorites. Comes with many already programed in like WGI, Mosport and several European tracks.
You save it as a POI, then the timer will work. Vito went through the same thing...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I have g-tac pro on my iphone, and I failed to note that this lap-timer function was missing. It's kind of crazy/stupid because it uses GPS to scribe the "lap" graphically, and it shows your two-axis g-forces throughout. But there is no lap timer! And no way to record multiple laps! Silly since those features are EASY compared to the others. It also has the ability to test acceleration rates/times. It's not a cheap product, so I learned my lesson.
I agree it's odd that the lap timer feature isn't there. I wrote them an email about it but have not received a reply.
The way it draws the track is pretty slick so I'm hopeful that they'll send out a free update to fix this.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You save it as a POI, then the timer will work. Vito went through the same thing...
I am assuming I don't have to be on the track, just next to it, right?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

for harry's

1-- from the gps icon u have to give it a point of reference or interest .
2- go to the racer's icon to start ur lap times.

After not being successful at the track i later on figured this out as i drove around the block 10 times where i live ! the best place to set ur reference probably would be as u sit in pit out before u enter the track -- takes only a few seconds !

vito
Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
chris_v
Instructor

I just bought harrys lap timer for the iphone, ill report back to this thread after my race this weekend at PPIR
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v-tach
for harry's

1-- from the gps icon u have to give it a point of reference or interest .
2- go to the racer's icon to start ur lap times.

After not being successful at the track i later on figured this out as i drove around the block 10 times where i live ! the best place to set ur reference probably would be as u sit in pit out before u enter the track -- takes only a few seconds !

vito
Can you set the POI on the warmup lap or is it more than one final keypress involved? Or walk out on the track before the day starts and do it, only need to do it one time and you have it forever, yes?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Weston
Racer

Here's what I found with G-Tac Pro vs Traqmate: http://www.rm944.com/weston/iPhone/G...%20090419.html

My iPhone wasn't mounted in a good GPS reception spot for that test, but it at least gave me decent (for the price) accelerometer data. GPS reception inside a car seems to be the primary issue with these apps, and even if you get a strong signal, you're only looking at 9-17 meter precision at best. These iPhone apps are great for the price, but they wont threaten the expensive systems until there's an external high-precision GPS receiver that can be mounted on the roof.

I'll also be trying our Harry's GPS Laptimer this weekend at PPIR, if I have time to mess with it...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I could only get Harry's Laptimer to work one out of 3 or so laps. I think the iphone just doesn't receive GPS at a high enough rate to keep up, even when it did capture a complete start/stop lap there was a delay.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I believe it's 1hz....
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Anyone have any good experiences with RaceChrono? Not that I have such a phone, or need yet another data system, but...
http://www.racechrono.com/

Quick Reply: iphone lap timers