FS 2003 911 Carrera GTB, GTS4 Racecar with X51 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Gorgeous car!!

Are those "TRG spec" engines legal in GTB? They are not legal in Koni.
Hmmm I was wondering how you get 325 at the wheels from a 345 HP motor. What's a TRG spec motor?....

The car is stunning and wow, what a build!...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Gorgeous car!!

Are those "TRG spec" engines legal in GTB? They are not legal in Koni.
Right you are Mike. But, perfectly ok in GTB...they weight an X51 differently than other GTB cars. But, my engine is a stock engine, right off the shelf in Atlanta.
Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Beautiful car. Would have been fun to have run with you in GTS4 this weekend to put that "best GTS4 car in the country" thought to the test.
Thanks Bryan. You guys were flawless this weekend! But, if I don't sell by then, perhaps we could mix it up at CMP with NASA and have that test. Just leave that extra hp at home!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Thanks Bryan. You guys were flawless this weekend! But, if I don't sell by then, perhaps we could mix it up at CMP with NASA and have that test. Just leave that extra hp at home!!
We ran about 100 pounds heavy this past weekend on R-comps. We either need to lose some weight, or add about 60 pounds and run slicks.

Doubt we'll do CMP...not really a big fan of Alan Wilson tracks in anything faster than a Spec Miata. It's too bad the place is only 45 minutes from my door and run by a friend. I hear it's a better track with the changes Brian Smith has helped make, so perhaps we'll go back and give it a try sometime.

Our next races are possibly NASA Road Atlanta, and definitely BMW CCA Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta (where we can get back to running slicks and our full power tune!).

Good luck with the sale!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hmmm I was wondering how you get 325 at the wheels from a 345 HP motor. What's a TRG spec motor?....

Thanks JR. I'm really not sure what a TRG motor is either, unless he was talking about the 1st engine I had when I built the car. It was replaced in Feb with a crate engine, which is actually stonger than the one I originally had. Autometrics did a great job on the car and we tested until we found the right formula for the max output for the engine. Custom exhaust helped a great deal among other things. But, only bolt on stuff was done. We even tried different headers but none gave us more than the x51 headers. Can't tell all my secrets or everyone would do it. But, I can assure you it's completely legal. I would get no satisfaction out of winning with a cheater car.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We ran about 100 pounds heavy this past weekend on R-comps. We either need to lose some weight, or add about 60 pounds and run slicks.

Doubt we'll do CMP...not really a big fan of Alan Wilson tracks in anything faster than a Spec Miata. It's too bad the place is only 45 minutes from my door and run by a friend. I hear it's a better track with the changes Brian Smith has helped make, so perhaps we'll go back and give it a try sometime.

Our next races are possibly NASA Road Atlanta, and definitely BMW CCA Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta (where we can get back to running slicks and our full power tune!).

Good luck with the sale!
Gotta give you your props on the r comps...you ran like you were on slicks!

But, I will say that CMP does take a lot of skill to get good lap times, as it can even up the hp game very quickly. It may not be a favorite of many, but can certainly put driver ability, car handling and brakes to the test.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

325rwhp from a 345hp motor is about right. ECU reflash, exhaust upgrades, and a little lightening gets you there.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
325rwhp from a 345hp motor is about right. ECU reflash, exhaust upgrades, and a little lightening gets you there.
this would mean the drive line loss is only 6%. i have heard from, 10% to 15%. if this is true then i gotta get me one of these engines into my car

with 325wHP it would be 374 HP at the crank (with 13% driveline loss)
if the engine is stock with the factory rated 345 HP then it would be making 300 to the wheels.

good luck witht the sale Rog. gorgeous car.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Exactly. The motor is rated at 345, but I'm sure that # is bumped up by the time it settles into a race car with intake, exhaust, tuning, etc, etc.

A BMW S54 is rated at 333 crank hp from the factory. Stick a carbon intake box on it and a set of race headers/exhaust and then tune it and you can end up with 360+ rwhp. That's a big jump without any internal changes from the factory rating of 333 crank hp.

Originally Posted by karlooz
this would mean the drive line loss is only 6%. i have heard from, 10% to 15%. if this is true then i gotta get me one of these engines into my car

with 325wHP it would be 374 HP at the crank (with 13% driveline loss)
if the engine is stock with the factory rated 345 HP then it would be making 300 to the wheels..
See above...I think Viking was suggesting that the car likely has a little more power than the 345 rating due to the bolt-on mods that accompany a crate motor into a race car.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

duh! i should actually read the whole post. lol.

yes, this makes sense.

Exactly. The motor is rated at 345, but I'm sure that # is bumped up by the time it settles into a race car with intake, exhaust, tuning, etc, etc.

A BMW S54 is rated at 333 crank hp from the factory. Stick a carbon intake box on it and a set of race headers/exhaust and then tune it and you can end up with 360+ rwhp. That's a big jump without any internal changes from the factory rating of 333 crank hp.

See above...I think Viking was suggesting that the car likely has a little more power than the 345 rating due to the bolt-on mods that accompany a crate motor into a race car.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The TRG spec motor that AnalogMike was referring to was a not so veiled jab at our friendly neighborhood porsche experts in California (TRG, that is) who were able to tell Grand-Am with a straight face that they didn't realize the motor in their Grand-Am Cup 996 driven by Billionaire Tracy Krohn was an X-51 motor. The X-51 motor was not and is not legal in Grand-Am Cup/KONI Challenge.

Sort of the "oh my gosh, how on earth did that happen" excuse.

Most fans bought the excuse. Those with a quarter of a brain realized that TRG was cheating in a major, major way and got caught red handed by the series.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Exactly !
I've heard of a stock 996 NON X51 car that from the factory puts out 320 flywheel hp but in race trim,(still bone stock motor), puts 305 to the rear wheels.

Sorry I didn't explain it better , thanks Bryan.
BTW - are you going to the NASA Nationals Bryan ? GTS4 or 3 ?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

BTW - are you going to the NASA Nationals Bryan ? GTS4 or 3 ?
Nope. Too long of a tow. We can run GTS4 or GTS5 depending on which tune, tires, and weight we decide to run at on a given weekend. We can run at the "top" of the GTS4 power/weight ratio with a drop in power, but we end up right in the center of the GTS5 range with our full power tune, so we generally wait to see who is showing up to decide which class to race in. And with the Hoosier contingency, it's even more important to make sure we run a class with at least 3, preferably 5, cars.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I understand about the Hoosier fund. We run at the top of GTS3 with a drop in power and some ballast, going to GTS4 has less cars usually so we stay in GTS3. I'd love to open up the power and drop the weight just to see what she could do !

Nope. Too long of a tow. We can run GTS4 or GTS5 depending on which tune, tires, and weight we decide to run at on a given weekend. We can run at the "top" of the GTS4 power/weight ratio with a drop in power, but we end up right in the center of the GTS5 range with our full power tune, so we generally wait to see who is showing up to decide which class to race in. And with the Hoosier contingency, it's even more important to make sure we run a class with at least 3, preferably 5, cars.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I understand about the Hoosier fund. We run at the top of GTS3 with a drop in power and some ballast, going to GTS4 has less cars usually so we stay in GTS3. I'd love to open up the power and drop the weight just to see what she could do !
Yep, I've been doing the same. All 3 S4 events that I've done this year with NASA has had 5 or more sign up, so the contingency as been great. It is a class I expect to see keep growing.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, I've had lots of interest, but no one pulled the trigger yet. Isn't there someone out there that wants a car that is already optimized with EVERYTHING you need to go racing? It's half price of what I have in it.

Quick Reply: FS 2003 911 Carrera GTB, GTS4 Racecar with X51 Engine