Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prayers for Felipe Massa

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spring apparently weighs some 800 grams and Massa was travelling at about 260 km/h, you can do the math.

The Brawn uses a 3 spring setup in the rear as mentioned. It's actually 2 torsion bars and one coil. You can see an cool animation of how that setup works here
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Freakish incident....the odds of this sequence of events taking place must be near the realm of the impossible, but then it just goes to show that just about anything can happen at the track.

Wishes to Massa for a strong recovery.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help thinking about Mark Donahue. I think he hit a post that held the catch fence up. (That used to be the way they stopped F1 cars instead of sand, gravel, or asphalt.) Mark was walking and talking after the crash, then collapsed. Also, Liam Neeson's wife last winter.

I really hope he has a total recovery, I have been rooting for him for the past 2 or 3 years.

Bill Seifert
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I wish him the best.

No open cockpits for me.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Watched it a few times on Speed. Hurts to watch. Hope for good news tomorrow when they will know more about any long lasting effects.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Get better FM !! Prayers out to you!!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I can't help thinking about Mark Donahue. I think he hit a post that held the catch fence up. (That used to be the way they stopped F1 cars instead of sand, gravel, or asphalt.) Mark was walking and talking after the crash, then collapsed. Also, Liam Neeson's wife last winter.

I really hope he has a total recovery, I have been rooting for him for the past 2 or 3 years.

Bill Seifert
Bill, you bring up some things that concern me so....

I am VERY concerned. Most of you who know me know I am not a fan of Ferrari, but I have always been a fan of Massa (not that it matters, I'd be just as concerned about Schumacher). Sometimes I really hate this sport.

Interesting thing you mention about Liam Neeson's wife. Two weeks ago I was hit by a Jeep while running (I'm OK), but while I thought my injuries were minor, folks convinced me to get checked out because of incidents like Neeson's wife. Very very scary.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AC coupe
The spring apparently weighs some 800 grams and Massa was travelling at about 260 km/h, you can do the math.

The Brawn uses a 3 spring setup in the rear as mentioned. It's actually 2 torsion bars and one coil. You can see an cool animation of how that setup works here
That's almost 2lbs, correct?

I sure hope and pray he fully recovers.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
...This is seriously scary. That is a state of the art carbon fiber helmet (hopefully with some Kevlar as well)...
The Schubert helmet Massa, Kimi & some other use can be driven over by a tank (yes, the one army people use) without helmet breaking...

But of course in this incident the spring hit (partially) the eye hole. Had it hit just the helmet, I have no doubt everything would be different now.

This incident has reminded me of Hakkinen's crash in Australia... It was more serious at the time (I mean when he hit the wall and the "aftermath" at the track, obviously we don't know yet what the end result with Massa is, hopefully good!) and it was so bad & sad to see Hakkinen after he came back out of Australia 3 months or so later.
He was very thin, couldn't speak normally, and said himself that he was afraid of walking because if he'd fell...
HOWEVER... When Mika had his first test after crash, after being out so long, VERY close to death etc. etc., in his first test he did a lap record...

Sooo... Hopefully Massa will be back and when it happens, back as strong, if not stronger as ever!

Re: Massa's coma, it is induced (spelling?) by doctors (as already said, normal procedure, I think Hakkinen was in come at least for a week) and they'll wake him up tomorrow so we'll now much more then.

LATEST NEWS:

The earlier report was little too negative and also the report(s) saying that Massa for sure will miss the remaining season is also.
Obviously nothing is 100% sure until tomorrow when he wakes up but Felipe has a good chance that he will be back racing 6 weeks from now. He had no neurological damage which is good.
Also, his parents and wife will be in Hungary tomorrow. Felipe's wife Raffaelle is 6 months pregnant so it's not advisable for her to fly but her doctors cleared her to fly to see Felipe.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 07-25-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sucks all around. I should be happy with FA on pole, but I can't stop thinking about this.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 AM
gersar928
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Not only did he suffer the impact with the spring but that G-meter on the left indicates a big hit into the fence.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
George S
Instructor

My thoughts are with Massa, his family, and the entire Ferrari team.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

That was crazy. He's quite a scrappy guy, so hope he can fully recover.

That German video coverage was good, of course they're actually live on-site as opposed to the Speed team sitting here in a studio.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

The head is a magical, wonderful, and often mis-understood thing...

I suffered a fractured skull while wearing a top of the line Louis Garneau down hill mountain bike helmet, while doing 5MPH on a cool down "spin" after a downhill run in 1998. The frame of the bike I was riding had suffered a failure and the bike collapsed in on its suspension. I fell over the handlebars (again, we're talking at the speed of a fast walk) and struck my helmeted head on a tree root. And it was lights out.

This happened on December 23rd of that year, and it took about 7 days later for the original mis-diagnosis of "just a concussion" to be re-diagnosed as a hairline fracture to the frontal right lobe. Swelling on the brain, a clot, and other issues put me out of commission for 21 days while the Doctors worked on the swelling and the clot.

That was walking speeds folks...

Looking at that video made me more than just cringe. It's a wonder Massa is still alive and a serious testiment to how well those helmets are made...

Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Good news. Formula1.com has a press release this morning saying Felipe is in Stable condition, and no complications arose overnight.

Quick Reply: Prayers for Felipe Massa