Sponsored by:

Set up for R888 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
Why is everyone switching to the R888s when the RA-1s are still in production?

I called Toyo and they said, they are not going to stop making the RA-1s anytime soon.

I tried the R888s this weekend for a DE. I'm not a racer yet (by trade), but by heart. The initial pressures and my pyrometer was showing that I was over inflated. After some playing with it, I was running around 40 psi hot and was getting very close temperatures O/M/I. Once i got this, the R888s seem ok. No RA-1, but the grip was there. I could hear slight feedback when they were breaking loose. It did seem like the side wall was stiffer. The tire would skip and grab back again. I don't think I was near the limit of the tire, so that may be a difference between my experience and others. I also didn't slide much with it.
The R888 was to replace the RA-1 and I believe the RA-1 went out of production for a short while. When I bought my R888's the RA-1's where not available. I'm running 38-39 hot with good results and tire wear, lot's of camber.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,
RA-1 has been out of production for sometime now. There are some out there as old stock, but who knows when they will all go away. Toyo did confirm they will still make the RA-1, but only in 205/50 R15 size. Everyone is subject to any existing supplies.

Also all of the NASA spec tire classes switched to the R888 for 2009, However they are still letting us run RA-1 as old stock.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I did the same thing by mistake at laguna . I forgot to check pressures after they were put on the rim by the tire guy. 45psi in one and 47psi in the other. I wondered why the car was a little more pushy than normal.. Times were not that far off at all. I ran the RA1s this weekend back to back (FINALLY) against the hoosiers. the practice was 2:00.09, qual was 2:00.03 and race was 2:00.05. I practiced on the toyos, trying to treat it like a qualifying for the best time test. then, same thing in qual . race felt even better, grip wise, but times were all the same. temps were 95F and the hottest was 100F in qual where i was overheating slightly too. I even had time to do different lines and find overdriving points on several parts of the track. Ill post some video. I have fender cam of qual and rear and front cam of the race.

In my opinion, you can drive the toyos harder, its sloppy compared to the hoosier, but you can rail off a similar lap time. same thing happened at laguna as well. In a race,its not as manuverable, or confidence inspiring to be on the toyo, but they do work well. Im thinking if I can get my car more neutral, I might be able to take advantage of the grip more in fast sweepers instead of fighting a push. that could be killing the advantage, thought the hoosier pushed a lot less and gave me some throttle oversteer around turn 2, 3 and 5. still pushing around 6 and 8.

mk

Originally Posted by mooty
the slide and its aftermath you said is EXACTLY what i got.

oh, with regard to pressure. i have one car at 3200 lbs and one car at 2500 lb, for both cars i varied hot pressure from 34 to 44psi hot. tire wear is even at any temp within those parameter!!! AND the strangest thing, i get essentially the same lap time regardless of the pressure?!?!?!

i did a 2:06:6 at TH over the top with 36psi hot all around on a BSR
the next day (track condition were similar, i know it's not back to back sessions) i did 2:06:5 with 42 psi hot all around.

Quick Reply: Set up for R888 tires?