Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shannon:

You may give some thought to why you and your friend both spun. It seems unusual that both of you would spin. Could it have been tire temperature was not hot enough to provide the traction necessary to hold you in the turn. It's my understanding the ideal temp for Michelin Cup's is between 160 and 200F degrees.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sig_a
Shannon:

You may give some thought to why you and your friend both spun. It seems unusual that both of you would spin. Could it have been tire temperature was not hot enough to provide the traction necessary to hold you in the turn. It's my understanding the ideal temp for Michelin Cup's is between 160 and 200F degrees.
It wasn't the car, it was the drivers
I had the pressures too high on Friday and things were very slippery. Lowered the pressure before Saturday which was a rain day. Pressures were "right" on Sunday when we spun. Suspension, setup, tires were all great. Sticky, settled, responsive, just right.
Driver error.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

While the advise is spot on the track at Putnam is like a cheese grater on tires. They get about a 3rd of the life at Putnam that at Mid Ohio. I can get 12-16 hc on Hoosiers at MO but maybe 6 at Putnam.

I would not count on Bluegrass this year as the SCCA race there in Sept was just cancelled.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting to hear, Mike. The track, esp. on line, was very slick even when damp, and some ppl were thinking it was due to the surface being worn down. No one could remember it ever being repaved.
It sounds as if your experience is just the opposite.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I walked the track Saturday morning and got a closeup look at it. It appeared to be quite abrasive relative to MO.

I registered to drive Bluegrass with Ohio Valley Region (OVRPCA) in August. I just received a confirmation and a separate email indicating the event is a "go." The off-track conditions will be crude (Port-a-potties, no running water, no garages, no paved parking) but they say the track will be paved and ready to run.

Of course it's all subject to chang but I'm still planning to go. Assuming I have some tires that are actually round by then

Quick Reply: Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?