Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   I signed up with a well known pro. coach........... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/511159-i-signed-up-with-a-well-known-pro-coach.html)

bobt993 07-07-2009 09:55 PM

Paolo,

1/2 a day may accomplish a lot, but likely it will be work in progress. What I found is you need time to digest input changes and " self-teach" instructions after a session then get back in with your coach to see what stuck. DAS will help if you have two days to review at the end of the day, then start fresh next day. Car setup can take at least a day. I am sure you will get good feedback.

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:04 PM

Sean and Gary, that is one of the reasons I hang with you guys.......
......you crack me up........:roflmao:

Dan, I will let you know how it goes, hope to see you at a track soon.....

mkd944 07-07-2009 10:06 PM

I know that you were looking for opinions from those who have actually hired a coach and will preface this by saying that I have not ever hired a professional coach.

However, you mentioned that you would have data. So, I would want is the coach to drive my car for the purposes of comparing my data to the coach's data. Then, i would like him or her to show me how I could improve beginning in the areas of the biggest differences. I would also be looking for tips in racecraft such as how to spot and exploit your competition's weaknesses to set up a pass, how to drive a wide line, how to pass a driver driving a wide line, how to use other cars as picks, etc. I think that anything you learn above what you already know will serve you well. Good luck to you.

FredC 07-07-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712575)
The question is what to expect from a pro. coach, not to discuss his fame or abilities......;)

All we want is to vicariously live through you for a moment. Who is the coach?

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by bobt993 (Post 6712605)
Paolo,

1/2 a day may accomplish a lot, but likely it will be work in progress. What I found is you need time to digest input changes and " self-teach" instructions after a session then get back in with your coach to see what stuck. DAS will help if you have two days to review at the end of the day, then start fresh next day. Car setup can take at least a day. I am sure you will get good feedback.

Bob, I am starting with a 1/2 day session (open track for 3.5 - 4 continuos hrs.) then I am hoping he will be willing to work with me again in the future......

Thanks for your input......BTW, will I see you at the T-bolt CR?

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by FredC (Post 6712639)
All we want is to vicariously live through you for a moment. Who is the coach?

Sure Fred, bust my chops........

plus, I thought you specifically told me not to mention your name........:D

Joking aside, I have signed up with him because if he can't help me.....nobody can........ he was a referral from Mike I.;)

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:17 PM

MKD good points, thanks......

FredC 07-07-2009 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712672)
...... he was a referral from Mike I.;)

Good choice. This will be an awesome experience I am sure. :burnout::burnout::burnout:

CWay27 07-07-2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712672)
Sure Fred, bust my chops........

plus, I thought you specifically told me not to mention your name........:D

Joking aside, I have signed up with him because if he can't help me.....nobody can........ he was a referral from Mike I.;)

What, has he worked with retards in the past?? Jokes aside Paolo, most pros can do wonders with pretty much any car. It won't take long for him to pinpoint your flaws and will work them out. From what I herd, half a day or a full day split between two drivers is plenty and drag their feet at the end of the day.

Good luck and keep us informed on your experience.

Veloce Raptor 07-07-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 6712460)
Is it a he?
:D

Shemale. ;)

In all seriousness, Paolo, IMO a half day is not enough, for several reasons. That said, IMO run video in addition to data. Finally, I believe YOU should have a clear goal(s) for this session, and have the coach develop a specific agenda for each session you are on track, with easy to measure and realistically attainable goals for each session. And by clear goals, I don't mean simply lower lap times. that is IMO a cop out, because in a 1/2 day session, you will be attempting to boil the ocean.....and you won't succeed. Pick goals like "develop more comfort getting to power sooner" or "carry more entry speed & use less brake" or "I wear little girl panties in T1 and the Bus Stop" or "I need better race craft".

Just my 2 lire worth....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

BobbyC 07-07-2009 10:35 PM

Paolo - I have used a pro coach and my experience has been:

First, get to know the coach and more importantly let the coach get to know YOU...without any inhibitions or pretenses.

Next, the coach more than likely will observe your driving and offer a suggestive work plan. He may initially work on a few mechanical/technique changes but it will all be part of a bigger picture plan.

The foregoing may take up an entire day.

Next is follow-up sessions and preferably at different tracks. Some days you will do better, some days you'll regress. If your coach is like mine, then (beyond the basic mechanics of driving) a lot of his work is going to be working on the mental side of things. Pushing you where you may be timid, and reigning you in where you may be running outta talent.

In my limited judgement, working with a coach is a process...perhaps spanning an entire season or more...not just a one or a 1/2 day event.

Go for it and good luck!

Veloce Raptor 07-07-2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyC (Post 6712730)
If your coach is like mine, then (beyond the basic mechanics of driving) a lot of his work is going to be working on the mental side of things. Pushing you where you may be timid, and reigning you in where you may be running outta talent.

Most important take-away in this entire thread.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by CWay27 (Post 6712711)
What, has he worked with retards in the past??

:roflmao::roflmao:

Originally Posted by CWay27 (Post 6712711)
Jokes aside Paolo, most pros can do wonders with pretty much any car. It won't take long for him to pinpoint your flaws and will work them out. From what I herd, half a day or a full day split between two drivers is plenty and drag their feet at the end of the day.

Good luck and keep us informed on your experience.

Thanks buddy....... I will keep everyone informed of my experience......

Best wishes for you and your familyl.........:bigbye:

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 10:50 PM

Dave and Bobby, thanks for your inputs......

I am starting with 1/2 day to see how we do together, hoping to continue our relationship as I master
what I am taught in preceding session.....

I am sure it is going to be a long process....... but hey.....

Rome was not built in one day............:D

SG_M3 07-07-2009 11:10 PM

In my experience we don't work so much on confidence or skill set. We more work on car setup and line changes. Most of the time it goes him running data laps, me running data laps, then we make changes to the car, and then see where i'm losing/gaining. Working together has really changed my style of driving, trying to unlearn a lot of HPDE taught things. Fast in, balance/rotate mid corner, fast out, working on platform control and balance. Where I used to be a more traditional slow in/fast out driver. One of the biggest things was spending a day in his car(mx-5 cup) which really opened my eyes as to the things he was talking about(balance of platform), where WOT early and a lot isn't always faster. We were friends before him coaching me, which really helped us click and work well together.