Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone going to the VIR or Blackhawk events in September with MVPTRacktime??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone going to the VIR or Blackhawk events in September with MVPTRacktime??

Just trying to decide whether to make the loong trek to VIR, or stay closer to home with Blackhawk in September.
MVPTracktime is doing lapping days at both, back to back.
So only one is feasible.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm planning on going to the VIR event, but I only have to haul 3-hrs to get there.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Man, I envy you!
It's 16 hours from where i am, but i have been on the track before, and it is incredible.
Wish it was as close as you are...one could get seriously engaged.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get 3 days there with PCA Potomac, Sept 4-6, for only $375. And then you can stay over and do the 2 day MVP event Sept 7-8. Despite the long drive, a total of 5 days at VIR would seem to trump Blackhawk!

http://www.pcapotomac.org/index.php?...d=17&Itemid=36

Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Now THAT is a great idea!
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Man, I envy you!
It's 16 hours from where i am, but i have been on the track before, and it is incredible.
Wish it was as close as you are...one could get seriously engaged.
Yep, it's an awesome track. I would really like to get to other top flight tracks more often, but time and $$ limit that for me, so it is great that VIR is a demanding track.

The Potomac PCA event looks interesting. I guess I have to decide between the two. Has anybody instructed with MVP or Potomac? What are your opinions?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the DE chair for Potomac and instruct for a number of clubs. I have also driven Blackhawk. There is no question in my mind which I would pick. My brother-in-law is coming in from Chicago for the Potomac event. I have sent a number of emails to Feff since we have the three days before his event. I asked if they needed instructors since we were considering staying over to make it a five day event. We are staying in the Lodge and were considering extending our stay. We like it so much we do the Audi Club events there and stay over for the TrackDaze events.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Alan,

Speaking as a NON-instructor, but regular attendee at MVP's midwest events (as well as PCA and BMW events), I can only say that the caliber of instructors Mark has on hand is outstanding, IMHO.

The nature of Mark's events is somewhat different than PCA or BMWCCA, in that the instructors are available on an 'as needed' basis. I honestly prefer this environment, because it seems to bridge the chasm between "those in the know" and "those who are learning"; egos are put aside, and it becomes more of a group of drivers helping each other learn and improve on track.

I have some friends headed out to VIR for the upcoming MVP event, but I won't, unfortunately, be able to make it. I've never been to the track, but have heard nothing but great things about it. You guys on the east coast have access to some serious venues...

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Or, you could go to the First Settlers Region event 9/19-21:

Please join us for our Fall Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA. We will be running the South Course (THE SOUTH PADDOCK IS NOW PAVED!) on Saturday and Sunday (19/20 Sept), and the Grand East Course on Monday (21 Sept), with the option to register for Monday only on the Grand East Course. This event is open to PCA and BMWCCA members 18 and over with a valid US-issued driver's license and with any make/model of car. Proof of club membership will be required at registration.

An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers and here will be daily classroom sessions for these groups. If you are signing up as an Intermediate Solo or Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.

Registration Fees: Students/Drivers: Sat/Sun/Mon - $350, Monday Only - $175 Instructors: Sat/Sun/Mon - $100, Monday Only - $75

You'll get to drive two versions of the track. Very few events are run on the Grand Course (east or west).
Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
911S3.6
Pro

CCA, Alan Herod, Don B _
If you fellas are instructors and would like to instruct for this MVP event, contact Mark Pfeffer @
feffman@yahoo.com
I just talked to him and he is looking for able bodied / experienced instructors for VIR.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,

What's the Grand East Course? I only know of the North, South, and Full courses.

Jim

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Or, you could go to the First Settlers Region event 9/19-21:

Please join us for our Fall Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA. We will be running the South Course (THE SOUTH PADDOCK IS NOW PAVED!) on Saturday and Sunday (19/20 Sept), and the Grand East Course on Monday (21 Sept), with the option to register for Monday only on the Grand East Course. This event is open to PCA and BMWCCA members 18 and over with a valid US-issued driver's license and with any make/model of car. Proof of club membership will be required at registration.

An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers and here will be daily classroom sessions for these groups. If you are signing up as an Intermediate Solo or Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.

Registration Fees: Students/Drivers: Sat/Sun/Mon - $350, Monday Only - $175 Instructors: Sat/Sun/Mon - $100, Monday Only - $75

You'll get to drive two versions of the track. Very few events are run on the Grand Course (east or west).
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

BTW, anybody running a one event in the fall? We ran at CMP for one day a few weeks as part of a 3 day 911 Turbo get together. Looking to do another one this fall and thought we might be able to do VIR this time. Some guys can run solo, others need an instructor.

Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Don,

What's the Grand East Course? I only know of the North, South, and Full courses.

Jim
Ducks into the Patriot course. Grand East dumps off into where the South course cuts off the back straight and then back on at the top of roller coaster.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I got you now. I've done that, but forgot what it was called. I think I like the full course better.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Ducks into the Patriot course. Grand East dumps off into where the South course cuts off the back straight and then back on at the top of roller coaster.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
CCA, Alan Herod, Don B _
If you fellas are instructors and would like to instruct for this MVP event, contact Mark Pfeffer @
feffman@yahoo.com
I just talked to him and he is looking for able bodied / experienced instructors for VIR.
911S3.6, PM and email sent to you.

Quick Reply: Anyone going to the VIR or Blackhawk events in September with MVPTRacktime??