Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Bladder on a Fuel Safe Cell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you replace the bladder make sure you look around the inside of the metal "can" it fits in and put a layer or two of good racing tabe over anything inside there that can rub/chaff the bladder. I have seen bladders leak and fail. Also, make sure you get new foam blocks to go in the bladder if they don't come with it. The foam will break down in the bladder over time and foul filters, pumps, and check valves.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
No kidding?

I thought there was more to the story. Thanks for filling in the cracks... as it were. To add fuel to this discussion, I saw a liner where the rubberization was turning gooey. That would have been an interesting fuel additive.

It has always seemed madeningly incongruous to me that groups such as NASA will allow a 944 with either a steel (early) or Plastic (late) stock fuel tank, but a cell with a molded polyethelene plastic "liner" and a steel/alloy "can" is not legal. How can either by itself be preferable to BOTH put together?
Could have just been regular pump fuel with ethanol. Many of the cells/foams supposedly don't react too well with the ethanol. That is what I am attributing the SRF's fuel cell leaks to.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA checked mine at the last race - I also printed out my FT3 certification and stapled it in my log book which has the build date...

Norm
Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

These things do go bad... My car had a brand new one (ie: NEVER had gas in it) and it was cracked like crazy. 5 years sitting the FL humidity killed it. Fuel safe 993 full race cell... May want pull old bladder and think about sending cell to fuel safe for install - think they charge me $100 or so. I did and it looks like they completely re-tigg'ed the entire cell.

Call around for prices, fuel safe will only give you list. You can work through distr for less.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
NASA checked mine at the last race - I also printed out my FT3 certification and stapled it in my log book which has the build date...

Norm
I guess in the formula car world where they put a fuel cell on teh ground and build a car around it is a different world. It would have taken me half a day to get to it on the formula car and about 3 hours to get to a point where you can see the date on the SRF.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I opened the cell and got to the manufacturing date on the outside front of bladder 04/97, so it's way past legal for NASA although it is not leaking and appears to be in good condition. I called Fuel Safe, they want $1970 plus shipping to install a new bladder and foam, check everything and replace what's necessary, turn round time is approximately a month. At this point, because of the time of the year and the cost I will make this a winter project. I plan on reinstalling the stock gas tank that came with the car for the rest of the season and to obtain the NASA log book.

JF

Quick Reply: Changing the Bladder on a Fuel Safe Cell?