Sponsored by:

Track/DE Brake Pads with Non-Corrosive Dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track/DE Brake Pads with Non-Corrosive Dust

After many hours reading through threads about track/DE pads, I've decided that for my first DE I want a set of pads with non-corrosive dust, as an added measure to protect the car's paint and wheels.

So far, the only pad I have been able to identify as having a non-corrosive dust is CarboTech (specifically, I'm considering the XP8 compound).

Does anyone know of another brand that claims non-corrosive dust? Brands like Hawk, Porterfield, Pagid are reportedly corrosive. Not sure about PFC.

Any help appreciated.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Call me an *******, but a car you care that much about shouldn't be on the race track for much more than controlled speed touring.

Buy separate wheels.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Call me an *******, but a car you care that much about shouldn't be on the race track for much more than controlled speed touring.

Buy separate wheels.
I did say 'my first DE'.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Worrying way too much about way too little. Wash your wheels at the end of the day with soap and water, and you're good to go. You can also do a search and see how some people wax their wheels to make them easier to clean.

Much more important to flush the brakes and get a good nite's sleep!!.

Of course, it's just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

PF 97's
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I am not answering your question directly but since this is your first DE I am assuming this car is also your DD? If it is, then I am also going to assume that you will remove your racing pads after the DE since you don't really want to drive around all the time with racing pads (noise and they don't work too good until you get some heat into them). If this is the case, don't worry, just rinse your wheels off at the end of the day or weekend.

I would not worry about corrosion issues in general but if this is important to you don't sweat it until you are doing 1X per month. BTW, there are many other things to worry about regarding cosmetics (at DE's) if you think about it. Just go out and have fun for now.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
breale01
Racer

OK thanks everyone. Good feedback. Maybe I'm worrying a little too much about the dust. The other thing I'm worried about (also maybe a little too much) is how to protect the front end and mirrors from chips, but that's another subject I've been reading alot about and I think I have my answer.

Yes, pads would be installed and removed just for the DE. ATE Super Blue and Motive Bleeder are standing by for use as soon as I decide on a pad.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

1st DE? I wouldn’t worry at all about pads, other than lots of wear. I would recommend keeping stock pads, make sure you have fresh fluid, torque each lug, and use copious amount of blue painter tape and/or clear carpet protector stuff you can get at home depot on the leading edges and behind the wheels.

Then if you have a great time (which you will) you may want to consider relaxing the concurs car idea or buy a separate track car. Advanced DE (where you will be headed) is hard on parts, but tons of fun....

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
CT03911
Banned

I agree with the others that suggest run the car stock. A brake flush is a good idea if they haven't been done recently.
Painters tape on the areas you are concerned about and have fun. Wash the wheels after the event. You may see some black rubber steaks on the car from rubber debris from the track. Harmless. Bug/tar remover or even some polish on a rag will remove that, among other products.
Enjoy.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

This your first DE. Do NOT do anything to your car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go buy a torque wrench you will need it ot check your lug bolts.

Unless you are in love with the color blue, the brake fluid in your car is more than adequate for what you will be doing. The primary reason for changing over your brake fluid is that you are boiling it under extreme conditions. If you are boiling your brake fluid then you really need to be looking at your technique. You also do not need to change your pads. My first 12 DEs I did bone stock. Your primary concern for your first DE is to learn situational awareness, and how to drive a line, it is not about speed although that is building.

Go enjoy yourself for the first year or so with a bone stock car and then you can set fire to your check book feeding your addiction.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
PF 97's
I've not had good experiences with 97's when it comes to the dust. -01 compound is much more friendly in my opinion.

None the less..the key is wash them as soon as you get home and you'll be fine....ESP if it's raining on the way home. The dust getting wet and drying is the biggest cause of issues.

Andy
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help it, I must reply. Wear out the existing pads! Outside of all the reasons posted above, why not try the Carbotech's when you are ready to change pads.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Worrying way too much about way too little. Wash your wheels at the end of the day with soap and water, and you're good to go. You can also do a search and see how some people wax their wheels to make them easier to clean.

Much more important to flush the brakes and get a good nite's sleep!!.

Of course, it's just my 2 cents.
This is true the nights sleep that is. I did not get on bit of sleep the night before my first DE. Not one min. If you keep after cleaning the wheels the dust will not cause a problem. You will have many other distractions once you get to the track. But congrats on taking the plunge and getting the car out where it can do some good for you.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
RaceWerks
5th Gear

The PFC 01's dust is far less corrosive than the 97's . When I have use the 01's the dust almost wipes off, with the 97's if you get it wet your in a world of hurt. Also the 01's have excellent braking force, they just don't last as long as the 97's.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll agree with keeping your stock pads for the first DE. You have much to learn before using the full capabilities of the stock brakes. Bleed the brakes, torque the wheels, and go have some fun!

Blue painters tape will help to protect the front of the car.

Quick Reply: Track/DE Brake Pads with Non-Corrosive Dust