Sponsored by:

Track/DE Brake Pads with Non-Corrosive Dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceWerks
The PFC 01's dust is far less corrosive than the 97's . When I have use the 01's the dust almost wipes off, with the 97's if you get it wet your in a world of hurt. Also the 01's have excellent braking force, they just don't last as long as the 97's.
I can vouch for this about the 97s and I have a now ugly, formerly gorgeous set of blue painted Fuchs to show for it. 97 brake dust + water + heat = ruined wheels. I've tried many different chemicals and the only thing I know that will remove it is sandpaper.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I can vouch for this about the 97s and I have a now ugly, formerly gorgeous set of blue painted Fuchs to show for it. 97 brake dust + water + heat = ruined wheels. I've tried many different chemicals and the only thing I know that will remove it is sandpaper.
I like the 06s more than the 01s in all regards except stopping power. The 06s last way longer, generate much less heat, and create significantly less dust.

-td
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General observation from the buckeye state:

>You will quickly learn that blue painter's tape seems less important the more DE's you do.

>Brake dust corrosion may or may not effect your wheels depending on what type of factory finish is applied. Fikse, Forgeline offer anodized coating which resists corrosion. Also, easy enough to wipe off with a cloth rag after each session. But you'll lose interest in that soon enough.

>Pagid Orange brake pads work well for torsion bar Carreras, and are easy on rotors -- track and street. Plus, you only have to bed in once.

>Brake flush and bleed before each event is very important. ATE Blue/Gold is minimum, temperature wise.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

There's nothing that I see that says how old the car is. If you haven't flushed (not bled, flushed) the fluid in 2 years, then flush it. It was due anyway. And if your pads are 1/2 worn, either switch to new pads, or bring the extra pads along with you. You don't want to burn off your brake pads and miss track time!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RaceWerks
The PFC 01's dust is far less corrosive than the 97's . When I have use the 01's the dust almost wipes off, with the 97's if you get it wet your in a world of hurt. Also the 01's have excellent braking force, they just don't last as long as the 97's.

I have rusted junk on the doors of my car from running it in the rain last weekend at the Glen.

To the OP, If this is your first DE, and you're that concerned about chipping paint, don't worry....you'll be so slow the only thing you'll need to worry about chipping paint is if a dump truck went by. You won't be anywhere close to the other cars.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Go to the DE with tock pads when you get home wash the car....simple as that.

I am very **** about the looks of my car and the pad dust will not hurt your car...geesh!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but change your brake fluid altogether and don't use the blue stuff. ATE 200 is OK for early DE use, Motul is better, and Castrol SRF for when you get into the more advanced run groups. The blue dye is not your friend in the ATE Blue. For pads, stick with stock until you have to change them (50% worn) and then get an intermediate pad. But don't toss the OEM ones, keep them as your street pad and swap for each event. I use Pagid Yellow 29, Bkack 14, 4-2-1 Blue (Sport Pads), PFC 97s, and hated Pagid Orange (glazed up the rotors like you wouldn't believe). Of all those, I'd go from stock to Pagid 4-2-1 Blue (also known as Sport Pads) - much less expensive than any others and very capable / gentle on the rotors (I just ran 2 days in Black / Red at Watkins Glen in my 09 C2S - they were fine). Focus on your desire to learn and try to not worry about too many technical issues like fluids, pads, tires, etc.

Best advice - go and enjoy your first DE. Be a sponge. Meet lots of people and compare experiences.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
breale01
Racer

Thanks again to everyone for the great feedback! I feel alot less anxious about my first DE. Sounds like a brake 'flush' is the most important thing, and a little blue painter's tape won't hurt. Pads can either wait, or if I'm approaching 50% on my stock pads, maybe the PFC -01's or -06s for the track then swap back to the stocks.

Can't wait.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I went the Performance Friction route before...my suggestion is when it is time for pads go with Pagid. Either the 421 or the RS29 Yellows.

It will be awhile before you do this and you will need to be running R-Compound rubber. Pads and tires are a system.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 AM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
I went the Performance Friction route before...my suggestion is when it is time for pads go with Pagid. Either the 421 or the RS29 Yellows.

It will be awhile before you do this and you will need to be running R-Compound rubber. Pads and tires are a system.
Roger that.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by breale01
Thanks again to everyone for the great feedback! I feel alot less anxious about my first DE. Sounds like a brake 'flush' is the most important thing, and a little blue painter's tape won't hurt. Pads can either wait, or if I'm approaching 50% on my stock pads, maybe the PFC -01's or -06s for the track then swap back to the stocks.

Can't wait.
exactly.....

Have a great time, then get out the bobsled, because it is a long slipperly slope from here..... :-)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

I would go with a brand new set of pads. Carbotech XP8 will be fine for your 1st time and the dust comes off easy. The reason for going with new pads & new fluid is you don't want to have to worry about wear at your 1st DE Just have fun. What track are you running as some tracks are much easier on brakes than others.

Peter
Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
I have rusted junk on the doors of my car from running it in the rain last weekend at the Glen.
+1 on your first DE with a car in stock good condition with fresh brake fluid.

Steve, You need some of the Metaldustremover and it just so happens I still have 3 cases in stock.

There are rust removers that are formulated for direct contact with paint and powdercoat.

Most contain dilute Phosphoric acid in a detergent solution and will will remove rust stain/dust from painted wheels and the car itself without damage. Some formulations also have oxalic acid in them as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I would go with a brand new set of pads. Carbotech XP8 will be fine for your 1st time and the dust comes off easy. The reason for going with new pads & new fluid is you don't want to have to worry about wear at your 1st DE Just have fun. What track are you running as some tracks are much easier on brakes than others.

Peter
The track is Tremblant 2 hours north of Montreal.

The car is a '90 911 C2 and guess what, it looks like the stock rear caliper/pad setup are quite peculiar. So far, I've only found CarboTech and Porterfield make pads for my rear. So if I do need pads, it'll be a choice between the CarboTech XP8 and Porterfield R-4. Any comments on what you'd choose between these two (Porterfields seem significantly cheaper)? And back to my original post regarding non-corrosive nature of the dust, how are the Porterfields?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by breale01
The track is Tremblant 2 hours north of Montreal.

The car is a '90 911 C2 and guess what, it looks like the stock rear caliper/pad setup are quite peculiar. So far, I've only found CarboTech and Porterfield make pads for my rear. So if I do need pads, it'll be a choice between the CarboTech XP8 and Porterfield R-4. Any comments on what you'd choose between these two (Porterfields seem significantly cheaper)? And back to my original post regarding non-corrosive nature of the dust, how are the Porterfields?
Usually U get what you pay for of the 2 choices go Carbotech and yes I have run them.

Peter

Quick Reply: Track/DE Brake Pads with Non-Corrosive Dust