Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what video system to upgrade to

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+964 on the POV.1. Bought it for my upcoming DE's after seeing great reports and videos from the unit.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APKhaos
TrackVision can do that for you with basically any logger and any camera, HD or standard resolution.

<opinion> The Chasecam setup is fairly pricey for what it delivers [interlaced MPEG2 video]. The POV-1 video is far superior, as is the quality of the integrated camera and the overall package. </opinion>

Search is definitely your friend here. There are a ton of threads on video cameras, most with links to sample video. Basically, there are lots of options ranging from sub-$200 Aiptek HD to semi-pro outfits. The first big decision is, "HD or standard resolution?"
Thanks man, search didn't bring up many threads, maybe they were on the latter/older pages!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Sounds cool as hell but damn pricey is right...

Question, if I decide to go for a regular camcorder/camera, what should I look for quality/spec wise that will work better reducing wind noise, quality with good framing since the high speed motion? Have no idea what to look for
With respect to wind noise, look for a camera that supports an external microphone. Aiptek now makes a couple that allow this. If you want HD, I'd go that route.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
With respect to wind noise, look for a camera that supports an external microphone. Aiptek now makes a couple that allow this. If you want HD, I'd go that route.
Yea I was looking at that camera in another thread, sample video looked great, but the noise was lacking and too much wind.. Then another guy posted a video of his Sanyo I believe, and you heard all of the engine noise, downshifts/exhausts with no wind noise, I presume he had an external mic then? Where exactly do you hook it up?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I solved wind noise with blue tape. I just put a piece of blue tape covering the microphone on my Sony Mini DV units, no problem at all and the engine sound came out great. Based on my experience (granted with a loud car) I see no need for an external microphone. Try that before you engage on an additional project
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
s997gt3
Racer

i just spoke to mike at awe very nice to deal with he's shipping to me as i type the pov-1 system w/ cigarette adapter and said I'll have it tomorrow

thanks to the rennlisters for feed back on this
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
s997gt3
Racer

ok i got the pov 1.5

put it in the car and took a ride on the street for a few miles.

so i down load all the soft were into the computer,i can't seem to get it to play back normally,but i got it to send an e-mail to myself and to others.i haven't spoke to the person that i also e-mailed it to,maybe my computer is running slow, to get the pixles, and every 2 seconds it has hesitation.turbo lag...

my car is very loud and in playback it isn't loud enough.

picture quality is poor color is bad and the video is pixaley.

theirs a car in front of me at 50' and i can't tell if its a car or a suv.

after i viewed this something popped up and said their is a different type of downloading that is better for the web but i haven't got that to work.

i know i must be doing something wrong `to have this poor quality from this device.

please can anyone advise what i'm doing wrong
Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

It sounds like your computer may be the problem. For starters, take the card to another PC and download the video file you recorded. The PC will need to have the XVid decoder installed to play the video, and you can download that from http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html

Its highly unlikely that your camer lens is out of focus, but I guess its possible,. First step is to get you video onto a PC that is capable of playing it properly.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
s997gt3
Racer

i pluged the unit directly into my tv with the cables that it came with.major improvement on sound and no pixeling all tho the picture quality as far as colors go still could be a lot better.

the unit came with a down load for a, divx converter and a divx player i'll look into this as well.

I'll try it on my daughters computer as well when she gets home

thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

s997,

I'm interested in the POV camera as well. Did you ever get it to work to your (total) satisfaction? Would you recommend it now that you've had it for a while?

Rob
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
If you want something bombproof and reliable, take a look at the POV-1. Superb package, and far better video quality than the Chasecam interlaced MPEG2. If you dont want HD, the POV is hard to beat.

OG racing has them for $599, which is a deal. http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...CORDING-SYSTEM
+1 on the POV

I have one and really like it. I use it on my mountain bike as well. It's bullet proof.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
How long will the AA batteries last on the POV.1?
A few hours. They have a 12volt power cable you can get for $60. I got that and don't worry about batteries.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob S
s997,

I'm interested in the POV camera as well. Did you ever get it to work to your (total) satisfaction? Would you recommend it now that you've had it for a while?

Rob
I'm pretty happy with my POV camera. I'm still messing around with getting it just perfect in the car. I bought an external microphone along with the cigerrette power supply and the mount kit. Also, some other stuff too.

Here's a video I shot using the POV on my mountain bike.

If you want to see the higher resolution (720x480) version, scroll down to the bottom right and click on
the Download Quicktime version link.

http://www.vimeo.com/5110939
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

The POV gets even better.

They just released another version of the firmware to deal with exposure settings. I can't wait to try this version out on the track. This update is exactly what we need for the track setup.

I can't be more happier with the product. Everything they do is top notch.

http://www.vio-pov.com/product_infor...rmware14_info/
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just directed over to this thread by the big boss man. Since I've been on a quest of sorts regarding camera systems, figured I'd add my 2 cents.

First off, spending over $1k on a "motorsports-specific" camera system is a waste. I've gone through my fair share of testing, and none can live up to the basic quality levels I would expect from modern day electronics. It's actually sort of disappointing when I compare the $2k system I was just beating my head with to the $150 ipod sitting in my lap. And no, I won't name any names publicly

I'm the first person to fully promote visiting your local best buy and looking for a good sub-$300 solid-state camcorder (SD card preferred due to popularity of the format). I've heard great things about the $100 units. And you know the best part of those? When they die from your off-road excursion, you can go buy a new one without tears!

With that said, I do really like the POV system, which is why I recommended OG Racing to sell ONLY it. It's really robust and offers excellent quality. How robust is it? Check this out:

http://ogracing.blogspot.com/....

Notice how the thing doesn't even flinch through the whole impact! Need more proof? I've heard rumors that Jesse James is running the POV in his new show on Spike (Jesse James is a Dead Man). Lunatic puts the thing through its paces.

In reply to the quality - it can be set to up to 720 res which is pretty decent. Not hi-def, but nothing to laugh at. With an 8GB card, you can get almost 6 hours at this level. The software included is pretty straightforward - but in the end sucks. Go get a nice piece of freeware like VLC or Avidemux.

I think that covers it for now - let me know if I missed anything! -Steve
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Last edited by OGRacing; 07-16-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: what video system to upgrade to