Sponsored by:

what video system to upgrade to

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what video system to upgrade to

my sony mini dv just stopped recording when i pull out onto the track maybe a vibration thing not sure but it worked fine for 3 years. it works fine for just regular recording .

well i guess i need something new unless someone has any suggestions as to fix the current one.

i have the trackmate and was thinking about the chase cam recording system,is this the way to go, and what elce are you guys using.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stu, also wondering the same as that Gopro camera I bought SUCKS... I can't believe your camera just stopped working like that, so weird, and I wanted to see my almost spin moment around oak tree LOL!

Let me know what you wind up going with, I need something new for our next event!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

If you want something bombproof and reliable, take a look at the POV-1. Superb package, and far better video quality than the Chasecam interlaced MPEG2. If you dont want HD, the POV is hard to beat.

OG racing has them for $599, which is a deal. http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...CORDING-SYSTEM
Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

A pro camera team (who produce shows for Speed and Discovery Channel amongst others) fitted cameras on my car for an event. Guess what, they installed POV-1's....

Having said that, I like the autostart feature of the ChaseCam.

My Mini DV died of vibration sickness also. I have been using a USB camera which is not bad at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After screwing around (and pissing many $$$$) with HD, Aiptek, this and that I finally gave in...getting a Chasecam 2camera setup with Traqmate.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

How long will the AA batteries last on the POV.1?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a few and really like this one. Very user friendly. Call Mike at AWE to answer any questions you have, he is very helpful and friendly.

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...ck&IL=viovideo
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by APKhaos
If you want something bombproof and reliable, take a look at the POV-1. Superb package, and far better video quality than the Chasecam interlaced MPEG2. If you dont want HD, the POV is hard to beat.

OG racing has them for $599, which is a deal. http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...CORDING-SYSTEM
i have the trackmate and i think i remember that the chasecam can be hooked together?is this the setup that shows the speedo and tach in the front of the screen with the video in the backround?if it is that is a really sharp setup.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s997gt3
is this the setup that shows the speedo and tach in the front of the screen with the video in the backround?
dat's true!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by BobbyC
dat's true!
do you have this setup,is it available in HD? and who has the best prices
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

yeah, mine is being installed as I type. no HD though.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They are working on HD right now. I havne't heard a firm date on availability.

They are fairly strict on price control. Used systems are often a great deal if you can find them before they disappear.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM
dp35
Pro

The Chasecam is slick in terms of its integration into the Traqmate system, and its automatic start/stop feature. But its also very expensive, especially for a non-HD setup. Personally, I refuse to spend that much for anything less than HD. There's other software to integrate the Traqmate data into your video.

I use a Sanyo Xacti HD camcorder that records to SD cards (which btw are incredibly cheap now), and its been great. Mine's a couple years old, so there's likely something better out there now, depending on your budget. Good used camcorders can be easily found on ebay for dirt cheap.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by dp35
The Chasecam is slick in terms of its integration into the Traqmate system, and its automatic start/stop feature. But its also very expensive, especially for a non-HD setup. Personally, I refuse to spend that much for anything less than HD. There's other software to integrate the Traqmate data into your video.

I use a Sanyo Xacti HD camcorder that records to SD cards (which btw are incredibly cheap now), and its been great. Mine's a couple years old, so there's likely something better out there now, depending on your budget. Good used camcorders can be easily found on ebay for dirt cheap.
Sounds cool as hell but damn pricey is right...

Question, if I decide to go for a regular camcorder/camera, what should I look for quality/spec wise that will work better reducing wind noise, quality with good framing since the high speed motion? Have no idea what to look for
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

i have the trackmate and i think i remember that the chasecam can be hooked together?is this the setup that shows the speedo and tach in the front of the screen with the video in the background?if it is that is a really sharp setup.
TrackVision can do that for you with basically any logger and any camera, HD or standard resolution.

<opinion> The Chasecam setup is fairly pricey for what it delivers [interlaced MPEG2 video]. The POV-1 video is far superior, as is the quality of the integrated camera and the overall package. </opinion>

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Question, if I decide to go for a regular camcorder/camera, what should I look for quality/spec wise that will work better reducing wind noise, quality with good framing since the high speed motion? Have no idea what to look for
Search is definitely your friend here. There are a ton of threads on video cameras, most with links to sample video. Basically, there are lots of options ranging from sub-$200 Aiptek HD to semi-pro outfits. The first big decision is, "HD or standard resolution?"

Quick Reply: what video system to upgrade to