Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default How was the VIR club race?

Results? Stories? Epic grudge matches?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

It was hot, but it was nice and dry, unlike CT which has rained about 59 of the last 60 days.

It could have been better for me, I bent my car a bit in enduro qualifying

Thanks to David Fry for the codrive in his GTC4, and so sorry we missed getting on track in his fine qualifying position by 10 seconds due to unfamilarity with his radio
If there was a hard charger award we should have gotten it.

But I was 3 seconds faster than last year (had the previous track record), and got two 2nd places in the sprints, behind Patrick Kelly. Matt Einstein and Kasey Kuhlman (his GTC3 record from last year stilll stands, I think) gave me great battles in the sprints and came in 3rd and 4th overall in the enduro, I believe.

The airplane is coming, I hope we don't have a rough landing (my daughter called me about Billy Mays and was worried about me).

The event was run extremely well and everyone had an excellent attitude. I highly recommend this event.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and, maybe my car will be fixed for Mosport. I will post a highlights video soon.

Last edited by analogmike; 06-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM
cosmo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR

No Rain but lots of heat. Tom Bobbitt and company did an outstanding job running this event. Kudos to all who added to this great event. For me it was my best finishes and best lap times at VIR. A big shout out to my coach Tom Long and to 3G Motorsports for the outstanding track support.
As for the Costa vs Curtis rematch- not to be - as Tim had car problems and had to pull out and Jeff only showed to drive Dr. T's beautiful synergy car in the enduro. There is always next year.
Hat's off to my buddy Steve Johnson who once again provided that a cattle catcher under the bumpers will save your race weekend( oh yeah your radiators too) Go Steve!!
Last but not least , sorry for Alex Bell's brake failure on the last lap of the enduro. Have a great vacation bud. No brake pads to change in Maine dude !

2nd lastly , great to see all my fantastic friends AGAIN !!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:44 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still waiting on official results for the DE cup...

Terry ..great pick up on the lap times and good drives in the sprints. Also sorry to hear of Alex's misfortune.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
cosmo
Instructor

Ted,
I heard you won the Jack Daniels Award !! The hours you put into training must be amazing!! Ha Ha
Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmo
Ted,
I heard you won the Jack Daniels Award !! The hours you put into training must be amazing!! Ha Ha

Do not attempt this at home, I am a trained professional.

Let's hear some racin' stories!!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Great event! Thanks to everyone who played a part in running it!
My favorite race venue so far...

However, although things went great with wins in class in both sprints and Enduros, it will end up with a big bill (when isn't!? ) as I bottomed out the underbelly against one of the rumble strips in the esses during the enduro qualifying The F-loles guys found a big oil leak in the paddock, most likely at least a cracked oil pan; hopefully nothing more ) (+ another Power steering system failure on Friday; 3 for 4 events this year so far!, and cracked rotor after todays morning session. BIG thanks to the F-loles team support on checking and fixing everything on time!).

Fortunately, my teammate M. Marsal offered the codrive in his Cayman S. Thanks Mike!

Just realized that Alex B. had a DNF in the Enduro, what happened to his brakes?

All in, an awesome HOT racing weekend. Enjoyed watching the other races too; some good battles out there...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Just realized that Alex B. had a DNF in the Enduro, what happened to his brakes?
Second hand info but I my understanding is that likely one of the front pads came loose ..no pedal going into 14, on the last lap.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty good event for me. None of the stumbling problems I had at The Glen. Must have run into some bad gas there . . . I suspect from the Sunoco on Rt 15 in Allenwood PA.

Great battles with a few other SP3 guys and a couple E/D class 911's. Took second in first sprint and first in the other. I really had to work in that heat to stay in front. My brakes hated it. First class win for me in PCA racing.

So what was the deal with the White group qualifying on Saturday? Track was green no? Yet everyone stacked up behind Mike Levitas like yellows were out. . . . very strange to see.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an awesome weekend, it was hot indeed, but people were stil laying down personal best's and tearing it up.. Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you guy's, Terry was good seeing you man!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

What a great event and venue. Kudos to the organizers and volunteers for putting on a very top-notch event. If they could only have done something about that heat! I was like butter in the microwave at the 80th minute after taking the car at 40 mins following AnalogMike's hard charging last to 15th drive!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Happened?

All in, an awesome HOT racing weekend. Enjoyed watching the other races too; some good battles out there...[/QUOTE]

Going into Turn 14 behind Number 2 944 and total brake failure! Brakes all the way to the floor. Tried to avoid #2 by turning left toward the infield but hit his rear with my right front. After tow in I find the pin holding the pads is gone on the left wheel! The brake disk turned and ground into the inner wheel, and the piston had nothing to compress to the rotor. I know the cotter pin and brake pin were installed properly as I did it myself that morning. It looks like a possible 13/13 and I am so sorry about hitting #2. I cannot recall his name but we was a true gentleman.

At any rate Carlos I knew you were out and could defintiely tell you were co driving the other Cayman S. You are as fast as your car. We will meet again someday and it was great meeting you and all of the other racers. Thanks guys.

Last edited by bella1; 06-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My car was having a tough time with the heat, so I had to short shift on the front straight, going into the esses, and on the back straight. Even with the strategy of trying to baby the car and lock up a second place in the enduro, something went wrong and the car gave up on me about an hour into the race.

Doug Roach was FLYING in F class. I never even got close enough to see what he was doing. However, I finally reviewed my video from my fastest lap, and I saw TONS of spots where I can easily shave time off.

Hopefully, they can find another date for the race when it won't be so insanely hot so that I can come more often. I can't do 95 degree races every year.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Going into Turn 14 behind Number 2 944 and total brake failure! Brakes all the way to the floor. Tried to avoid #2 but hit his rear with my right front. After tow in I find the pin holding the pads is gone on the left wheel! The brake disk turned and ground into the inner wheel, and the piston had nothing to compress to the rotor. I know the cotter pin and brake pin were installed properly as I did it myself that morning. It looks like a possible 13/13 and I am so sorry about hitting #2.

At any rate Carlos I knew you were out and could defintiely tell you were co driving the other Cayman S. You are as fast as your car. We will meet again and it wa great meeting you and all of the other racers. Thanks guys.
Ouch! Sorry about that Alex. Really nasty way to end a great weekend... Was the #2 944 the rear bent white car I saw being towed at the end of the day?
If so, that was a hard hit! I'm glad you are OK. Hope you can fix it soon and be at Mosport or LRP with NASA in August.

Brakes are always my biggest worry in this stock class cars (specially the faster newer ones) with OEM brakes and no weight reduction, specially in that 100F weather. My rotors were almost new and one cracked in the morning session.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 944 Ouch

Ouch! Sorry about that Alex. Really nasty way to end a great weekend... Was the #2 944 the rear bent white car I saw being towed at the end of the day?
If so, that was a hard hit! I'm glad you are OK. Hope you can fix it soon and be at Mosport or LRP with NASA in August.[/QUOTE]

Yes that was supposedly a rare 944 which made it even worse. I hit him pretty hard and he ended up in the tire wall. We had a nice talk in the pit afterward. And to make things even more painful that was the last lap! Only a few more turns and we would be taking the checkered and coming home in one piece. As for my brake pins, I will be drilling a second hole and using the strongest cotter pins I can find from now on!

I hope to make Summit Point Club Race in October. We also have our PCA FSR event in September VIR two days south course and one day grand course. You should come for the DE if you still DE.

Quick Reply: How was the VIR club race?