Sponsored by:

How was the VIR club race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vacation

Last but not least , sorry for Alex Bell's brake failure on the last lap of the enduro. Have a great vacation bud. No brake pads to change in Maine dude !

Terry thanks for the moral support. Yes I am leaving on the trailer with the cover for a few weeks. I need to decompress! Back in a few weeks and getting ready for our Sept DE.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a video clip of the start of the 2nd sprint race, some fast practice laps, and my incident.

Be sure to select HQ for high quality, then you can hit the full screen button to the right of the HQ button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24yAwGrsRo
Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex sorry to hear about your incident

AnalogMike, that was FAST wow... That last incident, any bad damage as in the video it looked light but we all know how deceiving it is? BTW I heard part of 13/13 isn't just car to car contact but anything that can't be "buffed" out, so is that an example, even in the tires?

BTW what camera setup is that, fantastic!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great video!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, what a fantastic track! Thanks to everyone that gave me some advice and lead/follow ...Alex, Costa, etc...I was a lost puppy for a while. Did ok for my 1st time there. 2 1st place sprint finishes, 1 1st overall finish and I'm pretty sure a race lap record of 2:03.9 for GTB during the enduro. My tires were toast for the enduro (same ones for the sprint races) and I spun in the oak tree corner. It was pretty funny and thankfully a "safe" off. I did a donut in the grass trying to get back on and chase down the leader!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very neat event - very neat track. One of the most challenging tracks to really figure out IMO. Thanks to (Analog)Mike for showing me the line in several places.

I got the chance to drive an 06 (Washburn) and an 08 (mine) car in similar conditions for the first time. The data and my own sense are as follows>
1) The 06 has better speed through the esses and down the back straight. This is purely because the shorter 5th and 6th gears.
2) The 08 has more grunt off the turns.

Lap times were nearly identical. I did 1:56.4 in the 06 on a 3 lap practice and a 1:56.2 in the 08 on the same tires.

None of us got there but I am sure a 1:54.0 is very doable on stickers.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was an awesome event and fun meeting more rennlisters.

It was my first time racing at VIR - ended up getting down to mid 1:56 and a bunch of 1:57 in traffic in race 2 - still plenty more room as I get more comfortable - I am guessing high 1:53, low 1:54 is possible next yr...

There were a LOT of fast cars and very good drivers there which made it a lot of fun!!!

In race 2 I pulled in early since someone dumped oil around the whole track on line after about 4 really bad slides in the oil coupled with seeing about 4 cars go off in one lap I pulled in for self preservation LOL...

I will def run next year there....

Thanks to everyone that put on the event!

Norm
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Was an awesome event and fun meeting more rennlisters.

It was my first time racing at VIR - ended up getting down to mid 1:56 and a bunch of 1:57 in traffic in race 2 - still plenty more room as I get more comfortable - I am guessing high 1:53, low 1:54 is possible next yr...

There were a LOT of fast cars and very good drivers there which made it a lot of fun!!!

In race 2 I pulled in early since someone dumped oil around the whole track on line after about 4 really bad slides in the oil coupled with seeing about 4 cars go off in one lap I pulled in for self preservation LOL...

I will def run next year there....

Thanks to everyone that put on the event!

Norm
Norm,
That guy came out of the last turn with smoke pouring out the back of his car, going slow...he had PLENTY of time to make pit it but decided to keep going for some crazy reason. When he finally made it back to the pits he had a 2' diameter puddle of oil under the car in no time.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:26 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi,

I added some annotations in the video.

No 13/13 for single car incidents in 2009, lucky for several of us.
I think my damage is cosmetic except a radiator needs to be replaced.

I have not looked at my data yet but the crash was caused by many things coming together:

1) Bigger front tires (Hoosiers)
2) I put the brake bias further to the rear
3) I tried braking later, at the 2 mark, for this qualifying lap
4) I make SURE to hit the apex on the right, actually I hit it TOO HARD
5) Hitting the curbing really upset my car with stock shocks (need JRZ)

It did not happen in slow motion at all, but very fast, no time to react until it was all over.

I have a RACECAM HD version going into a CHASE CAM. One nice external mic and one internal which I will replace with another external for true stereo.

A 2:03 is flying for GTB and a street GT2 turbo!!!!! The pros in Koni Challenge could barely get in the 2:03s but they have lousy tires. I was way slower than that in the Koni Challenge BGB 911.

Pat, you really pushed me to improve, with the help of Andrew Davis coaching. If you can get a 1:54.0 you should be paid to drive
Thanks for the feedback on the '06 vs '08 car, I also drove both types and that confirms what I felt. I also got to try good shocks (JRZ) and that will be worth a lot of time as my car was BAD in the fast esses, as you can see in the video above you had me by at least a half second there if not close to a second. And you can see from my video how to make up nearly a second in the few places I was faster. I was on the Hoosier tires on my fastest laps, the big fronts really helped in those spots so hard to say how much was tires vs driving.

The oil on the track in race 2 was TERRIBLE... I am very appreciative of the people who did not take advantage of it to pass me when I was driving carefully off line, it could have been a nasty wreck, thanks Kasey and Chris!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

It was a great event.
I had some highs and lows this weekend.
In the 1st sprint I messed up the start which cost me some places and then REALLY messed up the restart. I finished 4th in class. I was running 1:57's in the race.

For the 2nd sprint I was towards the front of the grid (I think p5 overall and 2nd in class) and then at the start going into turn 3 I ran out of room on the track and went off (you see this in Mike's video where he so nicely says "Bye Matt"). I probably could have stayed on track but I didn't think Steve Johnson saw me and I felt like he was going to come into me so I was off in the grass. I was able to come back on AFTER the whole field passed. I knew I had my work cut out for me. I never drove that hard before. I ended up finishing 4th in class. I was given the worker's choice award for that race. I was very thrilled to get the award. It was my first award and it was an honor to get it.

For Sunday's Enduro qualifying I did 2 laps and in the third lap my shifter broke in half! I was not happy. (We fortunately had a spare in my trailer). I only had a 2:04 for qualifying so I was gridded 24th for the enduro! I told myself I had to drive hard again to gain some ground!
I drove hard and around the 45minute mark I just made a pass for p2 in class! I was driving as hard as I could. When I came in for the pit stop I was p2 in class behind Kasey Kuhlman. I then had Tom Long drive the last 35 minutes and we won the race in class and finished 3rd overall (19 seconds behind the 1st place). In the last 10 laps of the race 4th and 5th gears were making bad noises so Tom short shifted through them. He was losing almost 2 seconds a lap but he still stayed in front in class. I wish that I had a good qualifying and that we didn't have gearbox trouble.

It was fun to run with guys like Jim B., Mike Piera, Steve W., Pat Kelly, Kasey K., David Fry, etc. in my class! I look forward to running with you at upcoming events. I think Road America is next for me. So I am sure I will be looking for pointers from Jim, Steve, and Pat out there.

I know I still have a lot to learn when it comes to driving and racing but this weekend I felt more confident than ever before. I will continue to strive to improve!
I want to say that Tom Long really helped me out this weekend as my coach! I thank him for that! He is a great coach and talented driver also. My car was his first as far as driving a Porsche! He had literally done 6 or 7 laps before Sunday in my car. And yet he was very fast and was able to really help me with the Motec Data!

I really appreciate the effort of 3G Motorsports for their support. What a class act! They kept my car ready and were quick about fixing any problems! I really enjoyed it!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by analogmike
Hi,

I added some annotations in the video.

No 13/13 for single car incidents in 2009, lucky for several of us.
I think my damage is cosmetic except a radiator needs to be replaced.

I have not looked at my data yet but the crash was caused by many things coming together:

1) Bigger front tires (Hoosiers)
2) I put the brake bias further to the rear
3) I tried braking later, at the 2 mark, for this qualifying lap
4) I make SURE to hit the apex on the right, actually I hit it TOO HARD
5) Hitting the curbing really upset my car with stock shocks (need JRZ)

It did not happen in slow motion at all, but very fast, no time to react until it was all over.

I have a RACECAM HD version going into a CHASE CAM. One nice external mic and one internal which I will replace with another external for true stereo.

A 2:03 is flying for GTB and a street GT2 turbo!!!!! The pros in Koni Challenge could barely get in the 2:03s but they have lousy tires. I was way slower than that in the Koni Challenge BGB 911.

Pat, you really pushed me to improve, with the help of Andrew Davis coaching. If you can get a 1:54.0 you should be paid to drive
Thanks for the feedback on the '06 vs '08 car, I also drove both types and that confirms what I felt. I also got to try good shocks (JRZ) and that will be worth a lot of time as my car was BAD in the fast esses, as you can see in the video above you had me by at least a half second there if not close to a second. And you can see from my video how to make up nearly a second in the few places I was faster. I was on the Hoosier tires on my fastest laps, the big fronts really helped in those spots so hard to say how much was tires vs driving.

The oil on the track in race 2 was TERRIBLE... I am very appreciative of the people who did not take advantage of it to pass me when I was driving carefully off line, it could have been a nasty wreck, thanks Kasey and Chris!!!
Hey Mike, thanks for the info, hope you are back in no time

BTW I saw you mentioned 2:03 and GT2, was that directed towards me?? If so, my car is indeed full street weight, but RUF built it beautifully with linear NA like power and it never hiccups... I was running the fastest time of a 2:12 Fri/Sat on some toyo r888's, it was a mismatched set (I burnt up a original set of rear that matched the front, so slapped new rears on) which was a big mistake, wore so uneven and was all over the place (not to mention the head and pressures getting up to 40psi and above), you'll see in the footage i'll upload soon, dancing around every corner with the rear end, scary!

Slapped the Hoosier R6's on for Sunday, and suffice to say, I shaved 7-8 seconds and had some traffic as again you'll see in the vid's, didn't run a 2:03 but had my best ever of a 2:04 and consistent 2:05's

Thanks for the camera info, I had the gopro POS in my car, you'll see what I mean in my videos, framing is terrible, sound, and so on.. Time for something new like yours

Martin
Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

After a two year break in the action, I am glad I was able to join my friends for a great weekend at VIR.

I was hoping for a low 1:57 but that was not meant to be. I had a few mid 1:58 but that was the best I could do. Still managed to win the class in 1st sprint race and woudl have won the second one too but ran out of gas (still got 3rd!)

I have never worn a cool suit (and didn't this weekend) but believe me that is going to change. I had no problems maintaining concentration in the sprints but the enduro was another story.

I did have a first - getting passed 3 times in an enduro! Matt passed me at the start, then lapped me.... then lapped me again when I started running very slow (2:04 range) due to my own exhaustion!

And while the 996 is in my comfort zone..... I don't think I can take that kind of demoralization again!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer

I did have a first - getting passed 3 times in an enduro! Matt passed me at the start, then lapped me.... then lapped me again when I started running very slow (2:04 range) due to my own exhaustion!

And while the 996 is in my comfort zone..... I don't think I can take that kind of demoralization again!
That was the whole intent! I want you to be in C4!
I have to admit that I was smiling each time I passed you - especially since you blew my doors off at the restart of the 2nd Sprint! Lapping you of all people was on my top of the list of things to accomplish! Doing it more than once was sheer pleasure. Hahahaha

It is GREAT that you are getting back into the action! I hope you do get a 997 Cup! I know I will have fun chasing you!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
cosmo
Instructor

Default matt & Chris

Matt, great job this weekend. In one race, its zero to hero after your off track excursion. When I saw you grinning thru your helmet shield as you chased me down, I got the hell out of the way. Then that enduro drive was just great start to finish. Kudo's to Tom for making you look so good.(ha ha)
Chris, you did great this weekend as well I always look forward to hangin with you and Brian.
My stable mates didn't have all the pressure of having to carry me this weekend
as I actually finished the races, after spinning twice at South Bend(never saw the debris flags) in back to back laps. Scott, I hope you charged extra for the villa seats as I could hear you laughing from my car.
Finally, to Greg and the cast of thousands that make up 3G Motorsports, the car was perfect.

Until next year,

Terry

Last edited by cosmo; 06-29-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what a track! I had been to VIR 5 or 6 years ago in a stock class 996 but this was a whole new deal. I didn't do so well in the races but I had a blast.

Matt, it was good to meet you. See you at Road America.
Jim

Quick Reply: How was the VIR club race?