Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first NASCAR race @NHMS,....reluctantly...any advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Agree with VR and Buck, if you go with an open mind, you will have a fantastic time.

Consider traffic part of the payment of going. I've got Texas Motor Speedway season tickets and show up at the track around 9ish for a 2pm race. I leave with about 20 laps left and listen to the rest of the race on the radio on the way home (live 10 miles away).

The best part of the the experience is not the race on it's own, that's just part of it. I spend a great amount of time people watching/laughing. In our area we've got a couple of corporate big wigs, and a couple of folks that save up all year for the race, so there is every type of person you can imagine.

Scanner is a must for two reasons, you can tune in to whatever driver you are looking at (Montoya is great to listen to, always talking) tune in to MRN and they make great ear plugs for the noise level. Expect to only talk to whoever is next to you durning yellow flags.

It may be roundy round racing, but when you go, you get to see it all. Pick a driver and watch his progress or lack thereof.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Expect to only talk to whoever is next to you durning yellow flags.
Were it not for the propensity of yellow flags, it sounds like a good family outing.

I'm not a big fan, but I'll bet it's a hoot to go to at least once.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I lived in Charlotte, we used to go to the speedway for all the races. Had a great time watching the race and the people. Scanners or at least a radio that get the MRN station to help you follow the race would be helpful.

If you get a chance, stand down by the track as close as you can when they drive by. It's incredible...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

OK, I'm feeling much better about it now. Thanks guys.

And Mike, if I'm in a high row, are you saying it's proper etiquette for me to throw the chicken bones?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch the weather reports...there's nothing quite like watching 50+ pace laps under yellow to just click off the laps and get to halfway and call it a 'race'.

The Youtube clips from the Montreal race are priceless when those things get wet.

Other things to remember:
Bring a Taser gun.
Do not make direct eye contact at any time; it will only trigger their "let's talk about racin' reflex"
Don't bring up the fact that Dodge is now an Italian car company and that GM is bankrupt.
Study ahead of time by watching NA$CAR TV (aka SpeedTV) and coming up to speed on Pinks, Living the Low Life, NA$CAR Today, NA$CAR Speed Report.
And don't refer to it as Sprint Cup (you'll be recognized as a newbie and BBQd right out in the parking lot)....refer to it as Winston Cup, they like that.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

I caught the end of last week's race. I don't remember who it was but one of the drivers said: "this Ford Fusion is a great car...everybody should get out and drive one..." so apperently they will let you drive it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I think you will have a good time. The traffic is just part of the charm of getting into NHMS. Enjoy and post some pictures.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbelles
I caught the end of last week's race. I don't remember who it was but one of the drivers said: "this Ford Fusion is a great car...everybody should get out and drive one..." so apperently they will let you drive it.

The last race was hilarious.
Lead driver runs out of gas 2 laps from finish.
2nd place driver takes lead. Only to run out of gas 1 lap later.
3rd place car wins.

2nd place driver tried the wiggle the car trick to get the last drops of fuel to no avail.

Tell 'em you're a rep from Porsche and you're looking into placing a car into the field.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Since it's New Hampshire, you'll be fine.
Now, if Talladega was your first race and you wanted to wander down onto the infield, it would be time for an intervention.

I'm guessing you've never been to either.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

I don't understand the getting to the track 6 hours before the race and then leaving with 20 laps to go. Isn't that when all the "real" racing happens?

I'd get there 2 hours after the start of the race to avoid the traffic and then stay after the race to pick up all the hotties too wasted on Wild Turkey to make it out of the track alone. That's how I roll
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

The chicken wing thing is SO blown out of proportion...
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

At the Dover race, we spent a couple hours just walking through the sponsor displays outside of the track. There was alot of giveaways and of course, it seemed every driver had a 53 foot trailer selling stuff, some like Jr, Gordon and Johnson had up to four!!! I'd rather watch it at home on HD, but it's definitely worth seeing in person at least once. Heck, one of my favorite races I've seen in person was the dirt track midgets....crazy car control.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I'm guessing you've never been to either.
Actually, yes I have, many times.
The last race I attended was Daytona when Sr died, saw and heard the impact and knew when from the look on Kenny's face how bad it was.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

I honestly dont understand what all this talk about having an open mind, checking your ego at the door etc...That shouldn't even be an issue, just enjoy the racing, it's some of the best in the world, you'll have a blast, the speed, sounds, and smells are all part of the experience, now that being said.........

DONT sit next to any Jr fans haha
Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Has anyone who has seen a NA$CAR race at Talledaga when Jeff Gordon won ever seen a JG fan come out alive? We know Gordon's car gets pelted with perfectly good, unopened beer cans, but I'm just wondering if its anything like going to an Oakland Raiders game and wearing the oppositions team gear? You know, stuff like beer showers, mustard hotdogs on the back and shanks to the ribcage?

Quick Reply: My first NASCAR race @NHMS,....reluctantly...any advice