0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Great Britain Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the Brawns looked pretty average this weekend. How that translates to the next race will be interesting to see. This will probably be the biggest test for the year for them. They started strong and kept going strong. Now they look like they will need to play catch-up. Time to see if they can or if this is the beginning of the end for them.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Vettel and Webber with their RBRs were top-class this weekend. Webber has the advantage in experience and is genuinely quick – Vettel is a wee bit quicker on ultimate pace it seems, and three race wins in his young career are quite an accomplishment. Had Webber managed the front row, it would have been an interesting race between the two. However, it likely would have been determined by who won the drag race to turn 1. More and more, it seems the changes to the regulations to allow close running and passing have not really worked. There were a least as much “merit” passes last year as this year. When two closely matched cars get together, it seems very hard for that last half-second gap to be made up.

However, it is good for the championship to have things close up a bit. In line with what was posted above, there was some commentator discussion about the RBRs being better relatively in cool conditions than the Brawns, so it will be interesting to see how the relative performance of the cars looks at the next few races. Are the Red Bulls pulling ahead, or is it more race-by-race which car is better (like Ferrari vs. McLaren last year)?

As for the Brawns: Silverstone is Ruben’s supreme track, so the outperformance of him over Jenson is not unexpected. Actually, I don’t think Jenson drove a bad race – not a great race, but not bad. He kept his nose clean and put some points in the bag. It would have been nice to see more of a 4th – 5th – 6th battle though.

It is really starting to settle in just how bad McLaren’s car is this year. Watching Lewis and Heikki’s on-board makes it look like a really difficult to drive, low-grip package.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I watched the race on BBC. Martin Brundle kept saying that Brawn's issue this weekend was tires. Just couldn't get them hot enough. And on top of that, their middle stint during the race was on the harder compound. Obviously that didn't help either and was considered a big mistake. You saw the speed of Button in the last 10 laps when he went back on the softer compound. There is something to be said about that. Obviously it's not enough but he's consistent IMO.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Vettel is a wee bit quicker on ultimate pace it seems
During the post-race press conference even he seemed amazed at the grip level the car had this weekend.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
I watched the race on BBC. Martin Brundle kept saying that Brawn's issue this weekend was tires. Just couldn't get them hot enough. And on top of that, their middle stint during the race was on the harder compound. Obviously that didn't help either and was considered a big mistake. You saw the speed of Button in the last 10 laps when he went back on the softer compound. There is something to be said about that. Obviously it's not enough but he's consistent IMO.

Brawn isn't known for making strategy mistakes . . .
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brawn's were slow because of track and maybe little because of weather (tyre temp. issues).

Once the circus goes back to tracks where there's braking (next track will be again one of those), they will be stronger.

McLaren sucks big time with their car and strategy while Ferrari is inconsistent with their car and strategy.
Heikki & Lewis were slow and Heikki's strategy just plain dumb, started from 13th and was on one stopper at Silverstone...WTF? Ferraris were OKish with their speed and Massa's strategy was great (perfect pit windows which enabled him to get up) while Kimi's was bad (not enough fuel which dropped him in both pit stops).

Glad to see RB doing well though and Brawn not so much, maybe with RB's better R&D they can make this an interesting battle after all (I wouldn't hold breath though).
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last weekend was a case of Button's Luck matching his talent . Golden spoon started the season with a second a lap advantage in a car that was 2 seconds a lap faster then the rest . Expect more of what we saw last weekend smooth and slow only wins with a big advantage ..

Shout out to Team RB , Vettel and Webber drove brilliantly.. Vettel is amazing talent and much is to be expected from that kid...

Great to see Webbo finally getting a decent car and i do expect him to close the gap to Vettel as the season walks on. While not on the same level as Vettel he is still recovering from his injuries and will be a formidable no2 . .

Overall excellent race !!!!

Golden Spoon won his last race due to vettel's mistake and then Team RB must have gotten there master pit plans from Brawn Last weekend was Team RB putting another foot forward , it was not an anomaly...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wayne,

As is typical for you that analysis is rather lite on facts and heavy on drama.

I think the Finn post (right above yours) called it much better.

Where is your prodigy at???? What happend to all of his crazy "car development skills" you used to talk about???
Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Wayne,

As is typical for you that analysis is rather lite on facts and heavy on drama.

I think the Finn post (right above yours) called it much better.

Where is your prodigy at???? What happend to all of his crazy "car development skills" you used to talk about???
My analysis is not for the uninitiated , If you want a bigger point , feel the top of your head .....

The Finn's was cloudy at best , as usual making excuses for the other Hapless Finn is not analysis , you will have to wait for Pete to get your Romper Room report ...

Analysis De Amigos:

The Brawn was Slow due to the weather ...........

Yep the Finn nailed it alright Now which Brawn ?

Ray after waiting 5 races you picked Golden Spoon JB to win the WDC, we will see in another 5 , i might give you a bet , yet !

Last edited by A.Wayne; 06-23-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Analysis De Amigos:

IIRC, I said previously that Brawn was slower simply due to Newey's updates to the RBR chassis making it much quicker.
I think weather was a secondary factor.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I guess the ankle braclet is off, huh?

Just keep it light Wayne. You can still be funny without the personal attacks.

The Brawn cars will be back. The Bulls were just too strong on this track with free flowing corners, not much braking, cooler temps. I think Button tightened up a bit at his Home GP with all the media attention. So that makes it 2 races out of 8 that Rubens has been faster than Button. RB is still hitting 25% against his teammate.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, I said previously that Brawn was slower simply due to Newey's updates to the RBR chassis making it much quicker.
I think weather was a secondary factor.
RB was also faster the weekend before !
Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RB was also faster the weekend before !
Yes, but not to this extent IMHO.
Vettel was heavy on fuel and had fantastic balance and grip throughout the run it seemed. Webber also looked very well balanced and consistent.

Time will tell, but I think Newey just raised the bar.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My analysis is not for the uninitiated , If you want a bigger point , feel the top of your head .....

The Finn's was cloudy at best , as usual making excuses for the other Hapless Finn is not analysis , you will have to wait for Pete to get your Romper Room report ...

Analysis De Amigos:

Yep the Finn nailed it alright Now which Brawn ?

Ray after waiting 5 races you picked Golden Spoon JB to win the WDC, we will see in another 5 , i might give you a bet , yet !
Probably went right over your head but the Newey RB has some huge aero changes to it. Vettel is good, but it there also exists the "slight" (gasp) possibility that those may have been a factor.....

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...9/813/673.html

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...9/813/672.html

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...opic=8&catid=0

I know that you have been off in a P&C induced haze lately but do try and keep up....
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Probably went right over your head but the Newey RB has some huge aero changes to it. Vettel is good, but it there also exists the "slight" (gasp) possibility that those may have been a factor.....

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...9/813/673.html

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...9/813/672.html

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...opic=8&catid=0

I know that you have been off in a P&C induced haze lately but do try and keep up....
Ray , that's all academic , I'm so far ahead it will take carbon brakes to slow down to you ... Look back in January about my analysis of the RB ...C'mon ray , leave you guys for a minute and Ha !

RB has been better than the Brawn 2 weekends now , JB is a journeyman , he get's a little Ross faux performance and you are off thinking he is Stoolmacher ..

He was artificially elevated above Rubin , this was public obvious after the Spanish GP . He has out performed Rubin due to errors on Barrichello part I will agree he flatly beat him at Monaco as Rubin did at Silverstone . You see Momentum is a wonderful thing and this JB has enjoyed from Australia , the trouncing he got yesterday while driving the best car on the grid will show his mettle, as the real JB will show it's head if at the next race RdBull lays it on again or Rubin beats him .

I would be elated if Brawn loses this championship Ross's way of controlling the drivers don't sit well with me .......

Quick Reply: 2009 Great Britain Grand Prix