Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racers with Cool "Suits": Questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Racers with Cool "Suits": Questions for you.

I am in the process of developing an alternative pump system that can be used with either "Cool Shirt" or " F.A.S.T" shirts. But I need some input if this is a viable product.

My product would do/perform the following:

1. Eliminate leaks
2. Last longer (cooling time)
3. Be less cumbersome
4. Be lighter weight
5. Easier to use / install

Given these factors - how much interest would there be in a system such as this? I cannot go into the details of the system as of yet (patents are being prepared.) But I can tell you this - the cooling efficiency would be dramatically increased with substantial weight savings versus traditional ice/water based cooling systems.

Are there any other issues that plague these systems on track? Pricing would be similar to existing systems but offer substantial benefits.

Thoughts? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

As long as the shirt fabric was fire resistant (Nomex, CarbonX, etc.), it might have some value. One issue I have seen is the imcompatibility between CoolShirt & FAST hose ends. They usd to be the same, but one of them changed a few years back for competitive reasons, and now many of us have to haul around adapters when we drive other peoples' cars. Also, make sure your product can also send cool air to helmets equipped for it. My sense is that a new technology rig with some sort of electric-driven heat exchanger (like a mini A/C) would in theory be a lot better and consistent thru a long race than one using ice & water...if that's what you are considering.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

The guys that make the hoses, connectors, etc for cool suit are customers of mine. Contact me if you want to discuss that.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As long as the shirt fabric was fire resistant (Nomex, CarbonX, etc.), it might have some value. One issue I have seen is the imcompatibility between CoolShirt & FAST hose ends. They usd to be the same, but one of them changed a few years back for competitive reasons, and now many of us have to haul around adapters when we drive other peoples' cars. Also, make sure your product can also send cool air to helmets equipped for it. My sense is that a new technology rig with some sort of electric-driven heat exchanger (like a mini A/C) would in theory be a lot better and consistent thru a long race than one using ice & water...if that's what you are considering.

Because the tubing is of a plastic/vinyl material, the Nomex idea is possible, but not likely. My intention is to use existing shirts - as both systems have done really well in designing them but lack the "finish" with the pump system.

Your "idea" is close. My concept uses simple but more efficient principles to achieve better cooling efficiency.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 007DT
The guys that make the hoses, connectors, etc for cool suit are customers of mine. Contact me if you want to discuss that.
I have a feeling I know the company you are referring to. Check your PM's.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT

Sidebar: will you be at Road Atlanta over July 4th, Dave?

How about you, Chad?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

How about you, Chad?

10-4
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

How about you, Chad?

Possibly. I am negotiating with the other half on visiting friends in St. Louis that weekend or not. Prefer - not.

Side note - the toy should be done this week. It gets aligned today.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Because the tubing is of a plastic/vinyl material, the Nomex idea is possible, but not likely. My intention is to use existing shirts - as both systems have done really well in designing them but lack the "finish" with the pump system.
You can already buy the existing shirts in Nomex or Carbon-X, so no need to reinvent the wheel there.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You can already buy the existing shirts in Nomex or Carbon-X, so no need to reinvent the wheel there.
And...they are a solid, well thought out product. I agree.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't have any leaking issues with my Cool Shirt system but would be interested in a unit that allows the same amount of temp reduction (or better) that also lasts for at least a 90 minute enduro in 95+ degree weather. Having it cost-effective would be a real plus, obviously.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input so far. I should have a working prototype running in a couple weeks.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found ways to cure all those issues and I like the additional weight to be used legally for ballast. I am sure others will find a simpler system very advantageous though.

Originally Posted by Chads996
I am in the process of developing an alternative pump system that can be used with either "Cool Shirt" or " F.A.S.T" shirts. But I need some input if this is a viable product.

My product would do/perform the following:

1. Eliminate leaks
2. Last longer (cooling time)
3. Be less cumbersome
4. Be lighter weight
5. Easier to use / install

Given these factors - how much interest would there be in a system such as this? I cannot go into the details of the system as of yet (patents are being prepared.) But I can tell you this - the cooling efficiency would be dramatically increased with substantial weight savings versus traditional ice/water based cooling systems.

Are there any other issues that plague these systems on track? Pricing would be similar to existing systems but offer substantial benefits.

Thoughts? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

C.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem I have with my cool system is that the fabric of the shirt is so heavy that it makes wearing it worse than nothing at all, when the water isn't flowing. I hate the thing and never wear it anymore.

Not only would I buy a better system, I'm now going to e-bay mine before it becomes obsolete!

Quick Reply: Racers with Cool "Suits": Questions for you.