Sponsored by:

Best Tracks I can DE in America?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
THANKS GUYS,I've got the map out and I'm putting pins in it.There has been some mention of other "Not so Famous" tracks,that I should hit too.Tell me any track you've driven that was fun and you'd go back for whatever reason.I might as well hit what I can while I'm out there on the road.Thanks Again JOEL
Willow Springs International Raceway - About 80 miles north of Los Angeles. Facilities are poor and the track is bumpy and abrasive, but quite fun to drive. It is a historical landmark and stated to be the first purpose built road course in the United States. Turn 8 is a 130 mph RH sweeper that leads into the decreasing radius Turn 9.

There are couple of other street type tracks at the facility as well.

Many of the car magazines test there so it is fun to compare lap times. See this link for more information: http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp

Cheers,
Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others than the top of the list - try Thunderbolt and Lightning, both at NJ Motorsports Park; and Beaver Run if you are in western Pa or eastern Ohio. Summit Point is still a nice track unless the surface has again deteriorated (which I hear it has.)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta plug Mt. Tremblant!!! Love that place. The Glen is amazing as well, but I am sure I am not the first to say that.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS AGAIN ,I'LL POST MY SCHEDULE SPRING 2010 AND SEE YOU OUT THERE
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

On your way up to Road America there is Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, shorter track but somewhat technical. http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
July 6,7,8 Mon,Tue,Wed PCA Northeast @ Mt. Tremblant
July 9 Thur Bruce Day @ Calabogie
Hey Rob, the 9th will be fun, you're not staying for NER the 10-12th? Good news is the 9th is the only day I'm guaranteed to be there, we'll see if you can catch a Mustang GT (oops - did I say that on Rennlist?).
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
brucegre
Banned

Not that I'm biased or anything, but if you come east, you have to come North and run Tremblant, Mosport and of course my favourite, Calabogie. Fit in the Glen and New Jersey Motorsports park around that time and you'll be in heaven.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

THANKS GUYS,I've got the map out and I'm putting pins in it.There has been some mention of other "Not so Famous" tracks,that I should hit too.Tell me any track you've driven that was fun and you'd go back for whatever reason.I might as well hit what I can while I'm out there on the road.Thanks Again JOEL
Ya gotta hit the track where the 944 turbo was introduced in the US... Nelson Ledges (NE Ohio). It is a really fun track in a 951. Although it's pretty bumpy in places, that actually adds to the fun and character, IMHO. Not a premier destination, but put it on your "not so famous" list.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
secretsquirell
Track Day

Canada... MoSport, Calabogie

Remember that LimeRock has reduced their noise limit to 89Db... this kept me from doing the club race there this year.. no time to redneck engineer a muffler. I did see some interesting approaches to this problem when i went over to spectate
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Can I add a twist? What DE tracks are the LEAST likely to bend sheetmetal? (Wide pavement, modest speeds and lots of run-off and/or gravel in good places.)
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Just to keep things interesting you should see if you can drive in one of the PCA club race weekends, either as a DE participant or racer. That would round what sounds like an excellent track holiday.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Can I add a twist? What DE tracks are the LEAST likely to bend sheetmetal? (Wide pavement, modest speeds and lots of run-off and/or gravel in good places.)
MAM and Hastings. You would have a REALLY hard time hitting things in the middle of a field. You will plug up your radiators/oil coolers with alfalfa, but you won't hit anything, lol. Only real chance of damage at MAM is falling into a pot hole in the paddock. Oh with that being said, I wouldn't drive more than 2 hours to run at MAM, lol. The track surface isn't the best, and it is a small track.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I'd vote for Putnam Park and Gingerman Raceway. A lot of runoff everywhere you look.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
Road America no doubt. Mid Ohio, very nice. I'd take Gingerman off the list even though it was my home track a long time.
+1

I've never really liked Gingerman.

In addition to the tracks everyone else has already mentioned I'd add Autobahn CC, In Illinois.

Last edited by Ray S; 07-17-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TWS (Texas World Speedway) http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/ in College Station is a great one, afterall how can you not love a superspeedway with a great roadcourse.
Even better and only mentioned once in this thread is
Hallett in Oklahoma - Lots of elevation changes, and a great track ! http://www.hallettracing.net/

Quick Reply: Best Tracks I can DE in America?