Sponsored by:

When???? will we win again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:34 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Default When???? will we win again?

When will Porsche get back in the hunt at Lemans? I am very happy we won LMP 2 but why can't GT2 be a little more successful? Does Weideking even know what Lemans is or the significance of winning it? Or is he too busy fretting over derivative investments and waxing his Tiptronic Cabriolet?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Brant,

I think they are dealing with that $15B debt and their self-incurred financial problems,.....

JMHO, but I don't see them directly participating in any events until Wiedeking is no longer employed at Porsche.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The evil Dr. W has never been a supporter of the Motorsports programme at Porsche.
He simply allowed it to exist (with a fairly restricted budget) since killing it was deemed too controversial.

Even before the world's most profitable car company went downhill (quickly, kind of makes you wonder if Dr W is related to Bernard Madoff in someway), there were no plans for PAG to enter into LMP1.
Now with VAG on the top bunk, it is even more unlikely.

But fear not, there is a possibility that the Panamera and the Cayenne may be the F1 Safety and Medical cars in the future...
Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Brant,

I think they are dealing with that $15B debt and their self-incurred financial problems,.....

JMHO, but I don't see them directly participating in any events until Wiedeking is no longer employed at Porsche.
True at this time , not so for previous years ....

Originally Posted by ltc
The evil Dr. W has never been a supporter of the Motorsports programme at Porsche.
He simply allowed it to exist (with a fairly restricted budget) since killing it was deemed too controversial.

Even before the world's most profitable car company went downhill (quickly, kind of makes you wonder if Dr W is related to Bernard Madoff in someway), there were no plans for PAG to enter into LMP1.
Now with VAG on the top bunk, it is even more unlikely.

But fear not, there is a possibility that the Panamera and the Cayenne may be the F1 Safety and Medical cars in the future...
Porsche need Better drivers and team managers , this has plagued them for years..... But go ahead and Blame another "W " .......................
Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am thinking maybe Piech would be good for Porsche...he was a racer and designer at heart. Weideking, to me, is not a 'car guy'. I bet behind the scenes that the Porsche side of the family is fuming mad.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This was another terribly feeble Porsche showing.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

10 F430's definately but the #'s aganst Porsche in GT2 but it maybe worse next year if Porsche doesn't do something quick.
I do think that you will have a Porsche back in P1 next year or maybe 2011.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I am thinking maybe Piech would be good for Porsche...he was a racer and designer at heart. Weideking, to me, is not a 'car guy'. I bet behind the scenes that the Porsche side of the family is fuming mad.
Totally agree,....

Porsche produced their best products as well as enjoyed a successful racing program when bean-counters didn't run the company.

Car companies need a balance of engineering and product-oriented managers to be successful and they need to race what they sell for a such a program to justify itself.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This was another terribly feeble Porsche showing.
At least they didn't lose to Panoz this time around

If GT1 is still around next year with Corvette gone, they should hop up a 911 for that class. A win by default is still a win
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
At least they didn't lose to Panoz this time around

If GT1 is still around next year with Corvette gone, they should hop up a 911 for that class. A win by default is still a win
Maybe not, but if I'm not mistaken a Spyker finished ahead of a few Porsches.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Ahem! Another kick to the groin was just what we needed to get some perspective on this miserable GT2 showing. Dammit.

On a happier note, the privateer LMP2 cars did very well [even after one of the two had an unfortunate moment close the the finish].
Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Ahead of all of them, I believe.

Time for a mid-engine layout?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Above points are all good. What it comes down to, is the SUPPORT that Ferrari gives you when a team buys the car vs what Porsche gives you. That makes it very attractive to go Italian.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Ahead of all of them, I believe.

Time for a mid-engine layout?
Ho ho ho, I'll bite.

It isn't a speed problem. The RSRs have had the pole the past two seasons. I see it as a two-pronged issue:

1) The RSRs are no longer reliable. The Ferrari's are more reliable. This is a sad day and a disgrace to Porsche and what they used to be famous for.

2) The few RSR teams that exist suck. For example, Flying Lizard is a world class team... when Seth Neiman is in their third car...

What is pathetic is that one of the world's best 911 racers wasn't even at the race. Good old Wolf Henzler didn't even have a ride. He was at HSR being a pro for the race at the Glen this weekend. That is pathetic for Porsche that one of their factory drivers, and best RSR pilots, couldn't even be in a car at Le Mans.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I was sick when i saw all of the porsches out of the race and of all people to win the dam race, makes me sick. WHat is going on with porsche? I understand mr neiman owns the team but if you had long, joerg, and darren in one car, dam what drivers. Also what is up with the reliability, i thought the Lambo was bad for barely making one lap but porsche was not to far behind.

Quick Reply: When???? will we win again?